WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Can we call on our Gods @nilephelan and @Rth to bless us with some Sunday updates? In return we will sacrifice. Nicolas Cage into the Wicker Man.

KILLING NIC CAGE WON'T BRING YOU BACK YOUR GOD DAMN HONEY NUMBERS

• Like 2

Exactly.

I think we don't need 2 Pixars or 2 Illuminations.

But we certainly need Pixar vs Illumination because competition is healthy for the market. As IO and Minions, and Dory and Pets have shown us, both their films co-existed and grossed huge domestically and worldwide. So they've helped the market immensely and offered entirely different products.

So the reason TGD bombed was that there was no Illumination movie to compete against at the moment ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

So yes, Illumination is now the next Pixar, on about one-third of the budget no less.

Why do people keep mentioning budget but not marketing cost? Illumination may have low budgets but it has ridiculously high marketing costs relative to said budget. According to Deadline, while Inside Out's production budget was 133% higher than Minions', its overall cost was only 20% higher, when marketing and the other costs are included. Also, Frozen actually costs less than Despicable me 2 despite having twice the budget.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tarzan seems to be enjoying really good WOM. A 46% drop in summer (off an inflated holiday) is fantastic. If it wasn't for its budget, it would've truly been considered a succes story. Right now, it seems in the same boat as Alice, aka, might break even after the theatrical release but certainly not something the studio will feel like making a sequel of.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Why do people keep mentioning budget but not marketing cost? Illumination may have low budgets but it has ridiculously high marketing costs relative to said budget. According to Deadline, while Inside Out's production budget was 133% higher than Minions', its overall cost was only 20% higher, when marketing and the other costs are included. Also, Frozen actually costs less than Despicable me 2 despite having twice the budget.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tarzan seems to be enjoying really good WOM. A 46% drop in summer (off an inflated holiday) is fantastic. If it wasn't for its budget, it would've truly been considered a succes story. Right now, it seems in the same boat as Alice, aka, might break even after the theatrical release but certainly not something the studio will feel like making a sequel of.

Minions made 500m profit for Uni last year and part of the marketing badget came from tie-ins unpaid by Uni.

Here are more details about how Minions was the 2nd most profitable film for 2015 above all animated movies and most blockbusters too

http://deadline.com/2016/03/minions-movie-profit-2015-box-office-universal-dispicable-me-1201725586/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Agafin said:

That's interesting. Can you point me to the article? Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bladels said:

2 paragraphs kick each other in the butt. Should they say Illumination is the next Dreamwork?

Yeah, Illumination is definitely the next Dreamworks, Despicable me Serie resembles Shrek, not quite as successful domestically, but overseas make up for it. If they have to increasingly reply on Despicable me/Pets franchise they may eventually fall like DW or Blue Sky, but they could also keep up with successful new franchises like they pets and sustain their popularity (but I suspect audiences will get tired of the shtick eventually)

Saying them is the next Pixar doesn't make any sense, although Pixar has had lots of box office success (particularly Nemo/Dory and TS3), Pixar is known for being critics' darling, reltaively mature themes, Oscar success, consistence in quality and creativity, box office success comes with these but is not what Pixar is defined for.

Pixar is also the only animation studio that consistently succeeds in the past 20 years (both critically and in box office), even its relatively dark period is also defined by moderate financial success and "good" reviews (RT ~70%). 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Illumination is doing very well.

But fortunes can change quickly. Be it Dreamworks after Shrek or New Line after LOTR.

Pixars consistency is amazing.

I would wait a couple of years before using a phrase like 'the next Pixar'.

It certainly is the new Dreamworks and putting up a solid challenge to Disney/Pixar.

Hopefully it continues to do that and we have diverse hits.

WDAS is the new Pixar.

Or maybe they're just co-dominate.

Of course Minions was hugely profitable.  It made over 1.1 billion worldwide.  But even with product tie ins its marketing budget was almost double its production budget.

Great!!  However the marketing costs that were written off or free because of product tie ins are a fraction for Pets for what they were for Minions.  

The Pets WW gross will be far under Minions and yet the overal budget, production/marketing is quite a bit higher.  However, considering it looks like they are establishing another franchise, it's well worth it. Not until they have a bomb, which will happen as it does to all studios, will you see a change in their massive marketing budgets.  I think they have to keep pumping massive marketing budgets into their films until, despite recent articles MinaTakla

loves posting on every thread, ILLUMINATIONS actually becomes a brand.  Hopefully then we will see a higher production cost and lower marketing budgets.  No reason to change success right now!!!!!

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

WDAS is the new Pixar.

Or maybe they're just co-dominate.

WDAS is the new WDAS.

They had a dark period from late 90s to late 00s and now they're back.

Pixar is still Pixar, they have not gone anywhere.

• Like 2

Let me also say that the only way Minions made 500 million in profit, if you actually look at all the numbers, is if Universal received 50% of ticket revenue from EVERY WW market and their marketing budget was zero.  Is that possible?

Im not saying it isn't but I find that really hard to believe.

11 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Let me also say that the only way Minions made 500 million in profit, if you actually look at all the numbers, is if Universal received 50% of ticket revenue from EVERY WW market and their marketing budget was zero.  Is that possible?

Im not saying it isn't but I find that really hard to believe.

It's not just about the theatrical release, they include ancillary revenues (tv, home video etc).

19 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Yeah, Illumination is definitely the next Dreamworks, Despicable me Serie resembles Shrek, not quite as successful domestically, but overseas make up for it. If they have to increasingly reply on Despicable me/Pets franchise they may eventually fall like DW or Blue Sky, but they could also keep up with successful new franchises like they pets and sustain their popularity (but I suspect audiences will get tired of the shtick eventually)

Saying them is the next Pixar doesn't make any sense, although Pixar has had lots of box office success (particularly Nemo/Dory and TS3), Pixar is known for being critics' darling, reltaively mature themes, Oscar success, consistence in quality and creativity, box office success comes with these but is not what Pixar is defined for.

Pixar is also the only animation studio that consistently succeeds in the past 20 years (both critically and in box office), even its relatively dark period is also defined by moderate financial success and "good" reviews (RT ~70%). 

Illumination is more DWA at this point than Disney or Pixar, they've yet to produce a film that's critically acclaimed and wins awards, the only film that's been nominated for an Oscar is DM2. The studios that get acclaim like Disney, Pixar, Ghibli, Aardman etc have produced work that may or may not be financially successful but they strike a chord with their audiences rather than just make them laugh. 

15 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Of course Minions was hugely profitable.  It made over 1.1 billion worldwide.  But even with product tie ins its marketing budget was almost double its production budget.

Great!!  However the marketing costs that were written off or free because of product tie ins are a fraction for Pets for what they were for Minions.  

The Pets WW gross will be far under Minions and yet the overal budget, production/marketing is quite a bit higher.  However, considering it looks like they are establishing another franchise, it's well worth it. Not until they have a bomb, which will happen as it does to all studios, will you see a change in their massive marketing budgets.  I think they have to keep pumping massive marketing budgets into their films until, despite recent articles MinaTakla

loves posting on every thread, ILLUMINATIONS actually becomes a brand.  Hopefully then we will see a higher production cost and lower marketing budgets.  No reason to change success right now!!!!!

I don't see Illumination's costs rising much if at all, Meledandri seems to content on capping the budget at $75m. Pets will gross under Minions WW because it's not an established brand but also there is a lot more competition kids wise than what Minions had. 

9 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Highly recommended. These titles are aware of their ludicrousness so it makes it all the more fun. The Flintstones debut issue was really strong. Way above my expectations. DC is on fire right now (well, when it comes to the comics :p). They have just announced a Masters of the Universe/Thundercats team-up book which looks to be as amazing as it sounds.

It's great that DC are doing something with the Hanna Barbera characters and pulling if off. It'll be interesting if we see other HB characters get this treatment, I think a dark Jetsons comic would be quite cool. Future Quest is very good and I think Warner Bros should consider doing a Jonny Quest film whether animated or live action.

11 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I wasn't pleased with Be Cool when they first announced it, especially that art style, but I expected them to do something lighthearted, especially since they really wanna differentiate these Scooby series enough.

I'm actually enjoying Be Cool, largely due to being a SD fan, but I would be interested in them doing another "serious" Scooby series. Certainly the straight to DVD movies try to go for some variety once and a while.

It's amazing how versatile Scooby Doo as a format that it can go from a serious mystery arc to a comedy romp. While I do think Scooby Doo is overpromoted by WB over other characters including the Looney Tunes, it's understandable

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, a2knet said:

That's interesting. Can you point me to the article? Thanks.

Inside Out:

http://deadline.com/2016/03/inside-out-profit-box-office-2015-pixar-disney-1201724894/

Minions:

http://deadline.com/2016/03/minions-movie-profit-2015-box-office-universal-dispicable-me-1201725586/

Frozen & Despicable Me 2:

http://deadline.com/2014/03/despicable-me-2-frozen-most-profitable-movie-2013-704578/

The numbers (production and overall costs) are in the charts.

45 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Minions made 500m profit for Uni last year and part of the marketing badget came from tie-ins unpaid by Uni.

Here are more details about how Minions was the 2nd most profitable film for 2015 above all animated movies and most blockbusters too

Lol of course, Minions was profitable. Massively so even. I'm just saying that the whole 'half the budget' and whatnot stuff is misleading.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 1