WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

3 minutes ago, movieboner said:

SLOP is the "Minions" of this summer. A below average animated film with quirky moments and dry humor making lots money at the box office.

I mean I'd watch Pets a thousand times over before I would watch Minions again

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I haven't see TDKR, is it really dumber than Interstellar? That's horrifying.

Btw, don't have an opinion on Nolan in general. His only other films I've seen are The Dark Knight, which I really liked, and The Prestige, which I also liked.

:ohmyzod:

• Like 1

Just now, picores said:

Fri: 38.5

Sat: 34.6 (-10%)  Minions fell 15%

Sun: 27.7 (-20%) Same as the yellow bastards

OW: 100.8

This has potential to be a Transformers AOE level fudge :ohmygod: 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This has potential to be a Transformers AOE level fudge :ohmygod: 

Why bother?  T4's fudge was a combo of trying to save face for a franchise on the downside and claiming to be the first $100m opener of the year.

• Like 2

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Pets should end up with a better OW multiplier than Minions just because it is not a sequel.

While it's true that Pets isn't a sequel, it's still performing at a sequel-like level, and the Illumination branding means that it had goodwill from previous films tied into its performance.

Just for the record, Inside Out - which wasn't a sequel either (but worked its studio branding, just as Pets did) and had amazing reviews in its corner - didn't come anywhere near a 3.0 multiplier in its opening weekend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also, it continues to boggle the mind at how top heavy this year is. Either feast or famine. At least Ghostbusters/Star Trek/Bourne should make plenty of dough without blowing up like crazy.

:unsure:

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also, it continues to boggle the mind at how top heavy this year is. Either feast or famine. At least Ghostbusters/Star Trek/Bourne should make plenty of dough without blowing up like crazy.

But they won't. Not really.

While it's true that Pets isn't a sequel, it's still performing at a sequel-like level, and the Illumination branding means that it had goodwill from previous films tied into its performance.

Just for the record, Inside Out - which wasn't a sequel either (but worked its studio branding, just as Pets did) and had amazing reviews in its corner - didn't come anywhere near a 3.0 multiplier in its opening weekend.

When I'm talking about OW multiplier I mean if PETS makes 100m OW it should reach 300m Domestic.

Inside Out had a WAY better than 3x multiplier.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

When I'm talking about OW multiplier I mean if PETS makes 100m OW it should reach 300m Domestic.

Inside Out had a WAY better than 3x multiplier.

Ah, I see. For some reason, I misread and thought we were just talking about opening weekends.

• Like 1

I'm expecting this for SLOP providing a 100M OW:

Jul 8: 100M (53.6M weekdays, 153.6M Total)

Jul 15: 47M (24M weekdays, 224.6M Total)

Jul 22: 21.2M (10M weekdays, 255.8M Total)

Jul 29: 11.7M (6.5M weekdays, 274M Total)

Aug 5: 5.8M (3.4M weekdays, 283.2M Total)

Aug 12: 2.3M (1.4M weekdays 286.9M Total)

Aug 19: 1M (700k weekdays, 288.6M Total)

Final Total: 293M (2.93x)

Whether or not this hits 300M is going to depend on several factors:

1. How hard does Ice Age hit it? Keep in mind it's going to lose the vast majority of its 3D screens due to Star Trek, Ice Age, and potentially Ghostbusters holding over.

2. Can it have a sub-40 hold the weekend of Jason Bourne? There's no direct competition but Minions was still dropping fairly substantially the weekend of MI5. Uni could fudge if they want.

3. Will Suicide Squad take a hit on every movie?

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm expecting this for SLOP providing a 100M OW:

Jul 8: 100M (53.6M weekdays, 153.6M Total)

Jul 15: 47M (24M weekdays, 224.6M Total)

Jul 22: 21.2M (10M weekdays, 255.8M Total)

Jul 29: 11.7M (6.5M weekdays, 274M Total)

Aug 5: 5.8M (3.4M weekdays, 283.2M Total)

Aug 12: 2.3M (1.4M weekdays 286.9M Total)

Aug 19: 1M (700k weekdays, 288.6M Total)

Final Total: 293M (2.93x)

Whether or not this hits 300M is going to depend on several factors:

1. How hard does Ice Age hit it? Keep in mind it's going to lose the vast majority of its 3D screens due to Star Trek, Ice Age, and potentially Ghostbusters holding over.

2. Can it have a sub-40 hold the weekend of Jason Bourne? There's no direct competition but Minions was still dropping fairly substantially the weekend of MI5. Uni could fudge if they want.

3. Will Suicide Squad take a hit on every movie?

Suicide Squad won't do anything. Remember Disney has already paid the critics so it's all been taken care of. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blanks McCoy said:

I'll admit when I'm wrong

i actually thought SLOP was pretty good. A couple of flaws but a MASSIVE improvement from anything Illumination's done so far. Jenny Slate map

Hmm, this gives me hope.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hahaha I wonder if they blow up or bomb, you'll have some reductive hindsight analysis you seem to always have for all movies performing the way they do.