grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

1). The Secret Life of Pets (ILL/UNI), 4,381 theaters (+11) / $15.3M Fri. (-60%)/ 3-day cume: $50.6M (-52%)/Total Cume: $203.4M/Wk 2

2). Ghostbusters (SONY), 3,963 theaters (+11) / $17.1M Fri. (includes $3.4M previews)/ 3-day cume: $45M /Wk 1

3/4). Finding Dory (DIS), 3,535 theaters (-335) / $3.2M Fri. (-49%)/ 3-day cume: $11M (-47%)/Total cume: $102.3M/Wk 5

The Legend of Tarzan (WB), 3,551 theaters (-40) / $3.2M Fri. (-48%) / 3-day cume: $11M (-48%)/Total cume: $102.3M/Wk 3

5). Mike and David Need Wedding Dates (FOX), 3,008 theaters (+26) / $2.3M Fri. (-65%) / 3-day cume: $7M (-58%)/Total cume: $30.8M/Wk 2

6). The Purge: Election Day (UNI), 2,671 theaters (-150) / $1.9M Fri. (-53%) / 3-day cume: $5.9M (-52%)/Total cume: $70.9M/Wk 3

7). Central Intelligence (WB/NL/UNI), 2,381 theaters (-460) / $1.5M Fri. (-39%) / 3-day cume: $5.2M (-35%)/Total: $117.4M/ Wk 5

8). The Infiltrator (BG),  1,601 theaters  / $1.4M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.6M/Total: $6M/Wk 1 Wed. opening

9). Independence Day: Resurgence (FOX), 2,290 theaters (-771) / $1.1M Fri. (-51%) /3-day cume: $3.8M(-51%)/Total: $99M/ Wk 4

10). The BFG (DIS), 2,182 theaters (-1,210) / $1.2M Fri. (-52%) / 3-day cume: $3.7M (-52%)/Total cume: $47.3M/Wk 3

• Like 2

"Over at Sony, which has invested their heart and soul in dusting off this property for a new generation, they’re giddy about the $45M start, and Ghostbusters could still get to a $50M opening thanks to an A- CinemaScore with the under 25 crowd, and an overall B+. By the way, that’s the same grade that Bridesmaids andSpy received. Consider the fact that when Ghostbusters first hit tracking four weeks ago, it was in the low $30M range, and thanks to great reviews (at 73% fresh) and a blitzkrieg marketing campaign, the studio raised its opening figures (which doesn’t always happen by the way, so it’s a testament to their marketing force)."

From what I've heard from many, the marketing force for this movie needs to be fired. Had they not made the trailers look so bad, the movie probably would have opened higher and avoided all this backlash. Don't agree with Deadline here.

• Like 2

The Legend of Tarzan is already going to pass I3 multiplier later on this week. It's having a fairly decent holds and if it keeps going like this it definitely has a chance to hit around 140.

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

You're straight? I've always gotten gay vibes from you.

Straight, married, and with a small child, man.

But I'm comfortable in my own skin that I have no problem admitting when other actors are good-looking. Gotta give props where they're due.

lol I remember watching an Oscar recap earlier this year buy one of those fanboy YouTube guys giving out "personal" awards for the ceremony: "and the winner for Best Dressed is...Henry Cavill?!"

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Central Intelligence has incredible legs and it just keeps chugging along. I don't know what it will end with but if it keeps dropping softly like this is 140 out of the question?

Probably because it'll start shedding theaters quickly soon due to 6 wide releases over the next two weeks, but that doesn't change the fact it's enjoyed tremendous staying power in a summer that's been low on movies with any kind of staying power. Great run.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

I wonder if the failed coup in Turkey suppressed turnout in the US.  People being glued to their TVs and all.  Might see higher bumps on Sat if there was even a little effect.

I seriously doubt it.

The Heat's true Friday is close to GB:

1.0 + 12.7

3.4 + 13.7

The Heat added 25.4 over Sat and Sun for a 39.1 ow.

GB needs to add 27.9 over Sat and Sun to have a 45.0 ow.

Looks tough looking at ratio of previews to od and front-loading because it's a reboot of a movie with lots of fans.

Edited by a2knet

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Straight, married, and with a small child, man.

But I'm comfortable in my own skin that I have no problem admitting when other actors are good-looking. Gotta give props where they're due.

lol I remember watching an Oscar recap earlier this year buy one of those fanboy YouTube guys giving out "personal" awards for the ceremony: "and the winner for Best Dressed is...Henry Cavill?!"

Delicious.

• Like 1

44 ow and 3x would give GB 132 dom.

imo CI is definitely crossing that.

is that an upset?

edit:

talking about upsets, dory vs lot will be close again.

but dory easily took mon-thu this week, so the weekly total will go to it anyway.

Edited by a2knet