grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

Rather uneventful opening after all that hoopla for the last few months lol. 

Neither good nor bad. Just, whatever. 

And that part in the Deadline report about Sony being extatic with the opening and how awesome their marketing department was is down right HI-LARIOUS!!!  :lol:

Had the marketing actually been good it probably would opened even better. 

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Some of u guys are strange. Pets will finish closer to 350 than 300. It's a mathematical certainty.

I hope so. Not sure about maths yet. Maybe tomorrow can tell us more? Its Friday was better than Minions and IO (though it won't match IO holds for sure from now on).

So the question is: if it tracks above Minions for the majority of its remaining run, how much will it end up making?

Also, how much will Ice Age and Pete affect it? 

Am trying to assess an objective best and worst case scenario for Pets both domestic and WW. 

But even if 300 or close to it domestically, that's great for an original animated film. 

3 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Why would they do that? everyone will know the truth by monday anyway

Because now the reports come out and are published so a $45M OW looks better than a $40M OW. Most people will see the first report and not the second one. 

• Like 1

Studios love to set the bar higher for rival films so they end up "disappointing," so I'm a bit surprised they are publicly putting the hammer down.

Edited by Gumby

2 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Rival studios love to set the bar higher for rival films so they end up "disappointing," so I'm a bit surprised they are publicly putting the hammer down.

Well its not like they can go much higher. Sony already beat them to the higher number. They'll look foolish if they think it can hit $50M so theyre just releasing what they actually think it'll hit.

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Why? See what I said above. This is not a movie international audiences should have much interest in. 

I still think it will be closer to 300 mill that to 200 mill WW..

IA5 (even though it won't do well) and Pete's Dragon could be obstacles in Pets' climb to $350m. By the weekend it'll already be at $200m, so it would need about a 4x multiplier by this weekend. I imagine it gets around $260m by the end the next weekend and could hit $300m before Suicide Squad opens.

2nd Weekday Set: $28m

3nd Weekend: $27m

3rd Weekday Set: $16m

4th Weekend: $17m (But a break from competition could give it a better hold)

4th Weekday Set: $10m

That's about $300m, assuming it hits $202m at the end of the weekend.

Looking forward, it needs to hold really strong to get to $350m, but it'll easily be closer to that than $300m. I think Zootopia numbers are the goal here.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.