grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

For the record I think Pets increases 40% today and does 21. A sub 30% drop on Sunday gives it a 52 mill weekend.

But I could be wrong. 

If Dory gets close, I could definitely see a big expansion, drive-ins etc... Hopefully they pull out all the stops if it manages to get up to $495M.

Else, we'll always have a possible re-release a few years down the road like they did to Lion King or something. Maybe before (Finding Fish 3) to build hype?

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

You are acting like Pete's Dragon isn't going to flop hard like Alice 2.

its not like Pete's dragon is the sequel of a 1B+ WW, 300M+ NA film, expectations are way different. I think It might actually do okay, people seem into jungle/forest stories this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xequalsy said:

If Dory gets close, I could definitely see a big expansion, drive-ins etc... Hopefully they pull out all the stops if it manages to get up to $495M.

Else, we'll always have a possible re-release a few years down the road like they did to Lion King or something. Maybe before (Finding Fish 3) to build hype?

Why does everyone keep on mentioning re-releases? Re-releases are fucking dead. 3-D is passe now.

Maybe if they start making new MX-4D versions of movies, re-releases can be a thing.

Edited by cannastop

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Zootopia is already in freaking redbox, man.

And the Jungle Book is three months old.

Funnily enough, Zootopia is in more theaters now than Alice 2, though.

I've already seen Zootopia, TJB, and Dory. The point is if I was going to see Dory at the drive in I would rather see it with Zootopia or TJB. To make matters worse the other drive in was playing TJB with IDR. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

its not like Pete's dragon is the sequel of a 1B+ WW, 300M+ NA film, expectations are way different. I think It might actually do okay, people seem into jungle/forest stories this year.

It's also got some early good impressions via the press on twitter and it's budget is less than half of AIW.

Interestingly AIW might wind up around $300m ww, about where GB and maybe even Tarzan might land.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superweirdo87 said:

Deadline says 16.9 Friday for Ghostbusters.

I guess the moral is never trust deadline with their numbers because they are like monkeys with computers... until they tell you what you want to hear.

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I guess the moral is never trust deadline with their numbers because they are like monkeys with computers... until they tell you what you want to hear.

@nilephelan has already come in and said that GB's real number under is under $17M and that Sony is fudging it over $17M. So that's why people are believing Deadline's number this time around. Not because we trust Deadline but because one of our Gods has said its under $17M which goes along with what Deadline is reporting. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 8

Ghostbusters has been disappointed : with R$1.2m OD it grossed much less than Dory in week 3 and IA5 in week 2.

And that's not the worst part : on Thursday it was the 3rd biggest movie but only because of 3D, in admissions it was 4th behind the local movie Carrossel 2 : 78,000 admissions  vs 107,000.

Ghostbusters flopping in Brazil. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I guess we won't know the GB actual until Monday. But I trust Gitesh/BO/ERC more than Deadline. So...

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

Lol at that Ghostbusters number.  The studio is fudging that a bit higher to look good over $17m.  

Just a reminder to those who think we are taking Deadline's number.  

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Other studios almost definitely expected Ghostbusters to be a huge movie - a reboot getting a solo weekend release in a crowded summer is pretty much unheard of. Sony had everything needed to make this a new cultural event and a big performer for sure, just crazy that this movie ended up being a hill to die on for all the crazies on both sides.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

@nilephelan has already come in and said that GB's real number under is under $17M and that Sony is fudging it over $17M. So that's why people are believing Deadline's number this time around. Not because we trust Deadline but because one of our Gods has said its under $17M which goes along with what Deadline is reporting. 

Okay fair enough, I'll concede. I'll admit I haven't read all the pages in this thread.

53 minutes ago, Baumer said:

FTSBF 

You hate every actor. You hate a lot of movies. I joke around. Most know that. You really hate people because they have abs or because of what they eat or anything else u allow to bother you. You're a mini FISHNETS.

Ouch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Okay fair enough, I'll concede. I'll admit I haven't read all the pages in this thread.

Yea like I said above....I wouldn't believe Deadline's monkey numbers otherwise. 

• Like 2

I trust Gitesh and Exhibitor Relations too *in general,* but Deadline does seem savvy with inside info. They reported that others saw BvS at like 166 when WB reported 170 and Exhibitor Relations reported the studio number. I don't think Gitesh or ER were naive or deceitful, they were just reporting studio numbers to avoid problems.

Edited by superweirdo87
  • Like 4

A re-release just comes off as cheating to get to 500, IMHO

I would see more of a late run expansion as Disney has done before.  That might get it there.  If not then we could see a painful, long, drag out run like they did to get Tangled over 200.  Just a guess!!!

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

Nah, Scream 1 & 2 > Conjuring 1 & 2 ;)

It's not even close. Scream alone is better than Conjuring 1 and 2 combined worth. Conjuring is great genre filmmaking. Scream was a masterpiece.

• Like 6