grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

Not impressed by CONJ2's legs. Good legs for a horror sequel but the sequelitis was stronger than expected and the movie seemed well received.

Expected it to reach 110m. Will do ~103m after the dollar bump.

103 will be 2.54x. That's still a strong multiplier given genre.

Has already crossed 300m ww on a 40m budget. So a big win.

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

Dory isn't getting to $500m.

Probably $480m best case now.

As shit as IA is I think it'll drop over 50% again.

$500M is probably dead but i doubt it'll be that low.

TS3 makes another $53M after a $12M weekend. 

Dory makes $11M this week so how can another $35M be her best case?

Edited by bladels
  • Like 3

480 best case for Dory now is totally nonsense!!!!

Minions made 50 million more after 12 million weekend.

Inside Out made 50 million after 11 million weekend.

TS3 made 53 million after 11 million weekend.

All of those would get Dory to between 494 and 500.

Fudging by it's definition can only be done with actuals. Estimates can never be called 'fudged' if even they are wrong by 1000% intentionally.

But once all the real data is received by the studio, if the actulas are shown wrong by 1 cent intentionally, it's a fudge.

Decent hold for Pets. Ghostbusters hit the 40-50M literally everyone called with the preview number. Tarzan's run is still crazy, will end up being a small surprise at the end of summer. Looks like 500M is dead for Dory, surprisingly big drop for it considering no competition opened this weekend.

Tarzan out grossed IDR, can't believe that actually happened. No one would have bet that a few weeks ago.

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

It's the mega Abs that could.

I mean, it was pegged to be the bomb of the Summer but we all underestimated the power of its allure and shapely abs that would power this to a respectable gross.

We're all having fun with the V but I'm really starting to wonder just how much those abs alone grossed for Tarzan lol

• Like 1

Just now, Arlborn said:

We're all having fun with the V but I'm really starting to wonder just how much those abs alone grossed for Tarzan lol

I don't doubt its power at this point. After seeing the movie, that's the only big positive aspect I could see out of it. That's an impressive V.

• Like 3

Boy, I'm glad I wasn't on here yesterday.

I never would have expected Ghostbusters to hit a $46 million weekend off of a true Friday of $13.8 million. Impressive. I'm not entirely sure what to expect for legs on this one, but it looks like the film actually managed to avoid being a disaster box office wise. If it can manage a 3 multiplier or so and make it to $140+ million, that'd be a relative "success", though clearly still pretty poor considering the budget, and with what I doubt will be a very hefty overseas gross. The original Ghostbusters only made $53 million, or 18% of it's worldwide gross, internationally. Though the international scene has obviously changed considerably, it's evident by the percentage that Ghostbusters didn't have much of an international presence to begin with.

Dory didn't stabilize as well as hoped, but it did nab an $11 million weekend. I still wonder if from here on out could be smooth sailing for it. It rode out the thunderous arrival of SLOP - could the rest of July, and August, prove to have good late legs for it? I can't imagine the terrible new Ice Age making much of an impact. Still, $500 million looks unlikely now. Let's see how it plays out this week.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fracfar said:

Stupidity. I was one of the few who actually thinks I would enjoy a sequel because my problems with this one would be hopefully fixed in a sequel but if the first movie isn't profitable, what makes them think a second or third one will be? Especially with the budgets these types of movies need. 

• Like 1