baumer

Monday numbers | Pets 6.8 Ghostbusters: 4.9

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

That would probably be enough to eke out a small profit well down the road, if we go off the percentages and rough averages from that Stephen Follows article I posted several days ago. It's hard to say without getting at least a ballpark idea of WW P&A.

What's the overall percentage, on average, that studios get back from a movies OS gross?

9 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

What's the overall percentage, on average, that studios get back from a movies OS gross?

According to the article, the average for a $100m+ grossing domestic hit is 53% domestic return, 41% overseas return. For the same data-set of movies, HV averages a gross around $130m or so with around 80% getting back to the studios.

edit: the article is long and goes into all sorts of detail (a good chunk of which you probably already know), but it's still very informative.

https://stephenfollows.com/how-movies-make-money-hollywood-blockbusters/

• Like 4

I'll be happy if DORY does 480-485m.

Like someone said the other day, beating Shrek 2 for #1 is milestone enough (and Pixar deserves it).

500m will be reserved for another epic more awesome animation in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Man, I can't wait for Trek and other movies to overshadow Ghostbusters so there's some sanity here. Or, at least, normal discussion regarding daily box office, etc. Jesus lord almighty, folks. It's not "great" and it's not "terrible," it just okay. Good grief. Did you guys expect it to drop under $4M? As in drop more Sunday to Monday than just about anything else this summer?

It's over everyone's expectations, so for me that's great. Let's not pretend people weren't expecting Ghostbusters to be the flop of the summer before the reviews were published. I remember, because I was attacked for months on this board for disagreeing with members who said the movie looked trash and unfunny. 

29 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I'll be happy if DORY does 480-485m.

Like someone said the other day, beating Shrek 2 for #1 is milestone enough (and Pixar deserves it).

500m will be reserved for another epic more awesome animation in the future.

Will it be a sequel, though? That's the question.

Just now, Napoleon said:

It's over everyone's expectations, so for me that's great. Let's not pretend people weren't expecting Ghostbusters to be the flop of the summer before the reviews were published. I remember, because I was attacked for months on this board for disagreeing with members who said the movie looked trash and unfunny. 

Let's not pretend it didn't swing both ways, man. And I was one who thought the trailer didn't look very funny. There's room for differing opinions without pushing everyone into black-and-white categories.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It's 9.20pm in the Uk. Where the hell are the Monday numbers and why are they taking so long??

Who do you call to complain?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm not pretending. Only the fringe expected it to flop and flop hard. Hell, our own Baumer had an under $125M DOM club and it's going come in just above that. Maybe even below it. I think I thought $150M before release. Ghostbusters is a brand. McCarthy is a brand. Feig is a brand.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

The good pets hold is week on week guys, not the Monday hold. That's what the earlier talk in the thread about.

Week on week it's 42-43% so that's a good hold. 

It's too bad Ice Age 5 comes out this weekend. It won't be able to drop 38-40% if IA5 does $20-25 million OW. 

$26 million ($257 million)

$18 million ($283 million)

$11 million ($305 million)

$5.5 million ($313 million) 

$3 million ($317 million) 

$2.5 million ($320 million) 

$3.25 million/$4.5 million ($325 million) 

$330-335 million DOM 

Not a bad run. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

That would probably be enough to eke out a small profit well down the road, if we go off the percentages and rough averages from that Stephen Follows article I posted several days ago. It's hard to say without getting at least a ballpark idea of WW P&A.

You have stated that one can't take estimates from anyone, even trades, for granted. Nonetheless, Deadline reported ~104 for global P&A. THR reported that Sony insiders saw the break-even at 300M WW and others thought 400M WW.

I guess that in spite of the better-than-average reviews, these numbers for Ghostbusters, which are neither spectacularly bad nor spectacularly good, will not be enough for a sequel to be greenlit. When studios pour hundreds of millions of dollars in producing and marketing a brand-name summer reboot, they expect more than just ok numbers.

I will learn to be ok with this; I have to. :(