baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Sure. But do they have any sustainable long running franchise. Making a big hit like Martian or Revenant won't cut it. Because they are one and done thing. 

Even with the Revenent Fox was the distributor and didn't finance the film.  That was was Regency, Rat Pac, Alpha Pictures & Empyre.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Sure. But do they have any sustainable long running franchise. Making a big hit like Martian or Revenant won't cut it. Because they are one and done thing. 

If any studio can milk a franchise. It's Fox.  They don't have outrageous budgets and don't over do it on marketing. They pretty much stay in their lane when it comes to movie making. LOL Ice Age is on their 5th movie. That franchise has generated billions.  God knows how many more Chipmunk movies they have in the pipeline. Even though X-Apocalypse was a disappointment box office wise, it still made 3 times its budget.

And don't forget Deadpool.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

It should. But will Fox's marketing team be able to make it a must watch movie for casual moviegoers next summer. 

I can't imagine the budget should be much bigger then the first. It doing 40 or 50m on opening weekend, and having decent legs, should more then enough to make Fox satisfied.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I can't imagine the budget should be much bigger then the first. It doing 40 or 50m on opening weekend, and having decent legs, should more then enough to make Fox satisfied.

I heard the budget is 120 million. Not sure if it is pre or post tax credits.

Edited by marveldcfox

9 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

If any studio can milk a franchise. It's Fox.  They don't have outrageous budgets and don't over do it on marketing. They pretty much stay in their lane when it comes to movie making. LOL Ice Age is on their 5th movie. That franchise has generated billions.  God knows how many more Chipmunk movies they have in the pipeline. Even though X-Apocalypse was a disappointment box office wise, it still made 3 times its budget.

And this one will end up with 450-500m on a 100m budget. That is a huge success, not even counting post-theatrical revenue and merchandise. I love it how people let their bias get in the way of seeing that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

Deadline has estimated Ice Age 5 at $22M and Lights Out at $21M based on matinees. 

We all know how that will turn out.  Lights Out is a late night movie for sure.  My guess is it will go over 23 and land maybe as high as 25.

• Like 2

Good number for ST, but there really was never a good release date for it this summer.  I would have said this has a chance to have really good legs, but with JB and SS right on its heels, it's just probably going to do so so (hopefully 155 million.)  I almost think they should have moved it to Thanksgiving (The series has had good success there in the past, and the competition would have been much lighter)  Now it's gotta hope for whether it's OS potential continues to increase.  I think with Lin and the fast/fun nature, it can.  STID increased 87% over the first to 238 million. There is a lot of room to grow.

17 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Universal is the king of milking.

They're fast approaching Furious 8 and Jurassic Park 5 and those franchises are stronger than ever.

Somehow they came up with a way to have megasuccessful reboots without rebooting.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Universal is the king of milking.

They're fast approaching Furious 8 and Jurassic Park 5 and those franchises are stronger than ever.

Somehow they came up with a way to have megasuccessful reboots without rebooting.

Jurassic had a big gap in movies though. But yeah Fast 8.  Bourne could have been in that mix but I'm afraid Legacy kind of messed it up (box office) and don't know how Jason Bourne will do.

Saw Lights Out last night.  Overall a good and creepy little horror film.  Maria Bellos character was major lolz but it was effective and fun.  Also appreciated the short run time.  Our independent theater here has been closed all year for renovations and it reopened today.  They're showing a midnight showing of Green Room and I think I'm gonna check it out, anyone catch that?

• Like 2

Just now, RyneOh1040 said:

Saw Lights Out last night.  Overall a good and creepy little horror film.  Maria Bellos character was major lolz but it was effective and fun.  Also appreciated the short run time.  Our independent theater here has been closed all year for renovations and it reopened today.  They're showing a midnight showing of Green Room and I think I'm gonna check it out, anyone catch that?

Yep.  I saw Green Room and it's also pretty intense.  Not quite as scary as one would hope but still well done.  Patrick Stewart is bad ass in it!

• Like 2

Decent numbers for Star Trek all things considered. just a little increase from STiD OS and I'd say ST4 Or 14 depending on how you look at it. is safe.

I saw that decrease coming a mile away for IA. but come on we all know they only made for it's insane international market intake. and seeing as how it's already eclipsed it's budget there, there will probably be an IA6. 

5 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I thought Green Room was pretty good. I enjoyed it more than Purge 3 even.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Decent numbers for Star Trek all things considered. just a little increase from STiD OS and I'd say ST4 Or 14 depending on how you look at it. is safe.

I saw that decrease coming a mile away for IA. but come on we all know they only made for it's insane international market intake. and seeing as how it's already eclipsed it's budget there, there will probably be an IA6. 

Star Trek is historically a weak performer overseas, but I am hoping it beats ID2 worldwide. IA6 is doing poorly overseas. Will do less than half of the last movie.

So, about these movies this weekend...

Kabali wasn't just previews yesterday. I think you were actually able to get Wednesday night showings and that's why it was so hot on the Pulse earlier. It showed throughout Thursday, I believe, or at least that's how Mojo is counting it. That said, that number is still pretty good. That means it beat Dory!. 

Even with the increased predictions of Lights Out, I think people are forgetting the PG-13 factor. It will show up more at night, but maybe there will also be increased morning showings too, for kids who are too scared of the dark.

Ice Age still has the weekend to change its story.

Congrats to Star Trek for just being awesome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

How much money James Cameron is gonna spend on his Avatarnado Quadrilogy ?

4B$ ?    5B$ ?

1.5 billion for production and 500 million for marketing and it will still make 2 billion in profit. :apocalypse:

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

1.5 billion for production and 500 million for marketing and it will still make 2 billion in profit. :apocalypse:

Avatar s budget was never disclosed  but I think it was around 350m...