baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

13 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

You could say it's "Lights Out"  for the Ice Age franchise.  :P

It will still make a gillion dollars internationally and come away with a profit.

Though next time it wouldn't surprise me if they skipped the domestic release altogether in favor of a select international release (in high interest markets) for a little while before going straight to Netflix or something.

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

DORY has held much stronger than expected. Folks were expecting closer to 6. 490 looks possible again - 19.7 away after this weekend if these numbers hold.

Looks like IA5 is not a threat at all. $480M is all but foregone conclusion. If Disney decides to keep it in theatres longer with theatre boost, $490M is reachable.

Even $500M is not out of reach.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

It should've been "Lights Out" after the 3rd one. The 4th one was a potential disaster that survived off of the goodwill of the first three. 

It survived off of hardly any direct competition that summer. As I pointed out in my IA5 100m below IA4 DOM club, there were a whole slew of reasons IA4 got lucky to survive a big drop off and this one was in for a massive drop. IA5 literally had not one thing in its favor. 

Edited by MovieMan89

That's a great number for Lights Out. Your 60m club will be a success @Baumer :lol: 

Also, if that Deadline number holds that 42% weekend drop will be the best one yet for Tarzan. Isn't Beyond supposed to have eaten into it's audience?

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Some great holds to be found, particularly for SLOP, Dory, THE V, and, of all films, Ghostbusters. I guess the "solid" WOM has kicked into high gear. 50% drop was expected for what was easily the most frontloaded movie Feig/McCarthy/Wiig have ever been in, and it's about as much of a good case scenario as they could've had. Family audience is finally roaring back into life, after the Alice 2/TMNT 2 epic bombage post The Jungle Book's path of destruction.

Star Trek doing alright, I guess, but c'mon, this is a franchise w/two 70M+ openers, you would think this should be doing at least 60M. I still think that the first trailer was part of what doomed Beyond to begin with, with the next few trailers afterwards actually getting the job done. The fact that the hype reached a peak right before release, coupled with very good WOM to begin with, is almost miraculous. Still, this is unquestionably decreasing from ID, continuing the progressive DOM decline of the franchise, but hopefully it can still get a 3x.

Lights Out at 8M OD is fantastic. Who would figure that even a week ago? What a year for horror movies. The Conjuring 2, The Shallows, The Witch, The Purge 3, The Boy, The Forest, Hush (Netflix), and now Lights Out were all either great quality hits, great box office hits, and some of them were both. This is probably the best year for horror movies in the decade so far. And it may not be over yet, cause I've heard GREAT things about Don't Breathe.

Ice Age... what an embarassing result. It'll still get away with it, cause OS audiences LOOOOOVE this franchise for whatever reason, but still, that is one epic drop. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

You could say it's "Lights Out"  for the Ice Age franchise.  :P

Copyright claim :ph34r:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

You have to forgive Ethan. He's only now beginning to live. 

So I'm assuming you like gladiator? I literally arrived home at 2.30am, decided to stick gladiator on whilst I ate the rest of my thai curry then ended up getting hooked. By 5.am I was still up and had tears running down my stupid face sobbing like a girl  

Maximus is one of the best movie hero's of all time and that film is timeless. So many great iconic lines that give you goosebumps. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rth said:

Fri looking STD 22-23, SLOP 8.7, LO 8,IA5 7, WYNGC 6

6 hours ago, Rth said:

Realized LO should be 9

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Any idea on how AbFab The Movie is doing @Rth?

6 hours ago, Rth said:

prob be 500-600k ltd rls

STB 23, LO 9.2,SLOP 8.6,IA5 7.7,  WYNGC 6.2,FD 2.2,LOT 2, M&D 1.4
AF 680k

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Rth said:

STB 23, LO 9.2,SLOP 8.6,IA5 7.7,  WYNGC 6.2,FD 2.2,LOT 2, M&D 1.4
AF 680k

Good for Beyond. 60m still in play.

It just gets better and better for Lights Out. The midnight/OD ratio is the same as The Shallows. If it follows that movie for the rest of the weekend it will end up with 22-23m. But I think it can push for 24-25m and maybe 70-80m total. I am very interested to see if it beats Purge 3.

And even better than Deadline estimated for Tarzan. A 40% weekend drop is on order. It is headed for 130-140m.

And that number for Ice Age should guarantee 20m. Not impressive by any means, but is is an animation so it should get at least a 3x multi. 60-70m will happen methinks.

• Like 2

Those are some really good holds. Hopefully, like James said lights out can get more towards 25. The Secret Life of pets should have a nice soft drop as well as Finding Dory. The V is also looking at a good drop and Ghostbusters is actually looking at a pretty good job as well. Overall a pretty good weekend.

8 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Oh c'mon guys. The only thing that makes Gladiator worth sitting through is Joaquin Phoenix as the villain. The rest is a slog to sit through.

He was a soldier of Rome. Honour him.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Father of a slayed son. Husband to a murdered wife. And in this life or next I'll have my revenge.

Gladiator is pretty much perfect.

• Like 10