MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

Given the Jason Bourne budget, this should be a win for universal with profits, perhaps a big one.

Universal will want Matt Damon to sign up for two more Bourne sequels by the end of this weekend.

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I don't think The Nice Guys nor Swiss Army Man are still in theaters, tho...

The Nice Guys is indeed great and I missed Swiss Army Man ( :( ) but the true king of summer 2016...

YOU KNOW HIS NAME

Edited by Ethan Hunt

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Trainwreck was 8pm.  So I think high 20s should be the range

Yea, but Bad Moms is a young, female driven film going up against the acceptance speech of the first ever female nominee for President. It's as much of a crossover as there possibly can be. And given that the Bourne movies were made as a direct critique of Bush and post-9/11 flag-waving jingoism, I'd say it skews more liberal than most action franchises, too. I think people are underestimating the potential effects of the DNC. Probably 30 million normal viewers watched it alone, and that didn't count the fact that we are running big watch parties at literally every campaign headquarter throughout the country, which attracted tons and tons of people last night. 50 million people were probably tuned in, and that intersected with the liberal-skewing cores of these two movies. 

• Like 1

Last night's speech probably had little effect on Bourne's previews, Hillary's speech didn't start until 10:30 which allowed plenty of time for the East Coast and some time for Central. Bad Moms probably wasn't even affected outside of the West Coast.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yea, but Bad Moms is a young, female driven film going up against the acceptance speech of the first ever female nominee for President. It's as much of a crossover as there possibly can be. And given that the Bourne movies were made as a direct critique of Bush and post-9/11 flag-waving jingoism, I'd say it skews more liberal than most action franchises, too. I think people are underestimating the potential effects of the DNC. Probably 30 million normal viewers watched it alone, and that didn't count the fact that we are running big watch parties at literally every campaign headquarter throughout the country, which attracted tons and tons of people last night. 50 million people were probably tuned in, and that intersected with the liberal-skewing cores of these two movies. 

Huh? Bad Moms is rated R. How is that directed at "young" females. 

Just now, Nova said:

Huh? Bad Moms is rated R. How is that directed at "young" females. 

The same way that Seth Rogen movies are directed at "young" males. I don't mean young like 13, I mean young like 19-30.

• Like 2

Previews started early and ran late.  Those who  tend to go to previews would still have plenty of opportunity to do both if so inclined. 

Regardless, $4.3m in pre-sales is about 500k tickets and $2m less than 250k tickets - a small fraction of the voting adult population of either party.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The same way that Seth Rogen movies are directed at "young" males. I don't mean young like 13, I mean young like 19-30.

Except Bad Moms target demographic is probably females 30-40+ years of age. Not females 19-30. And lastly the DNC speech probably had minimal effect on preview numbers considering the fact that previews for Bad Moms started at 6 PM and Clinton's speech didn't start until like 10:45PM. 

Edited by Nova

I'm just a huge proponent of the argument that when a huge TV event - be it the DNC, a massive NBA or MLB finals game, Mayweather/Paquio a huge football game, the Oscars- that 50 million Americans are spending their night watching, that will hurt box office. 50 million people tuning everything out and spending hours as part of a communal experience- remember, DNC watch parties started at 8- is going to limit the amount of people who can see a movie. We see it time and time again. Even June 19th, which was Father's Day, had only average Sunday drops relative to any other Father's Day, because Game 7 killed business. And Thursday, June 16th, had a massive drop relative to any other non-holiday weekend Thursday. usually, the average Thursday drop is 5%, but that day audiences dropped 19 percent with a game being watched by 30 million. Even I would have gone to see Bourne last night, but I wanted to be home all night for the speech, and I'm sure I'm not some isolated person, even if it is anecdotal. There is statistical evidence to back it up. The big fight during Age of Ultron, the Oscars every year, the Super Bowl and NFC championships every year, and the DNC from four years ago. It's just common sense to think that the same relatively urban/suburban, leftward skewing audience that impacts business when a huge NBA game or the Oscars is on would also impact business for a speech that was watched by even more people. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3