CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

36 minutes ago, Elessar said:

You mean, the BO that shows huge hype every time a DC movie opens? Or the good home video sales? There is and continues to be a strong appetite for the DCU. It just isn't as wide an audience than with some other properties.

The BO that comes between a huge OD and home video sales. You know, the bulk of the actual theatrical run.

i think it's pretty obvious this would be doing a lot better with good reception. i stopped expecting good bo (and a good movie) when the reviews came in, this isn't the type of movie critics would be biased against and the era of movies with bad reception doing well dom has been over for years

The Saturday number is epic. Someone opined that it's not due to WOM but the young demo. However, younger viewers are the most likely to go back for repeat viewings, and conversely they spread bad WOM quickly via social media and texting. The Sunday number will be something to behold. 

9 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

And it's from Luc Besson, the director of Lucy. And titled Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Reveal hidden contents

9 hours ago, CJohn said:

They will just use the same PR bullshit they used with BvS. All they have to do is switch BvS to SS.

He wants to sink EuropaCorp. GOT IT :lol: 

The source material is actually pretty good / was then way ahead of it's time. Remember, Lucas was seemingly a big fan, he borrowed a lot for the Star Wars world it seems.

9 hours ago, Lestranger said:

tv television science animated gif wow

I hope that was a remote thingy landing? Or was that a toy plane?

8 hours ago, K1stpierre said:

Is the marketing included in it's budget or is it separate?

Additiinal got already answered

I think @TalismanRing   has a link to a site that shows advertising for dom  Last year (or was it 2014) WB tended to spend way more than e.g. Disney for advertising in average.

Might be interesting

2 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Only one that has something to worry is WB.  Marvel Studios is like Pixar at this point, while the other studios aren't even trying to play catch up.

I think it is possible other studios/franchises get hurt a bit too. I am not speaking about huge percentages, more in the way of +/- 10% for now

7 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Yeah there's evidence that audiences didn't love BvS for sure but the digital/blu ray seem to be selling like hotcakes and the UC has pretty good WOM so I think we can stop comparing it and Green Lantern. I know people love hyperbole but stop lol

I think especially with genre movies / special interest movies, if the GA isn't that into, fans might have problems to find someone to accompany them and later buy rather a disc... as to go for a repeat viewing alone = I am not surprised about that.

7 hours ago, CJohn said:

Civil War didnt had a good reception either with the GA.

Not sure about that, audience ratings give IMHO another impression. Tele.. told the advertising was Avengers centred, I think the story isn't as 'uplifting' as the other ones (more happy for now / open ended instaed of happy forever / all feel good), disappointed audience in relation it being not really an Avengers movie and the story being not that uplifting might have lessen the repeat viewings =/= not the same as bad WOM IMHO.

7 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm looking at the end result. Yeah it was a bad movie and yes it will have terrible legs. But a year ago most people wouldn't be thinking $125M/$250M total.   It was what, $80M OW and possibly $200M total?  So how can we sit here with a straight face and say it wasn't successful.

I do not think it gets bad BO results, it seems to get rather very bad WOM. After the happiness of the OD numbers that seems to be the biggest shock and the long-lasting possible impact can be of concern too.

7 hours ago, Nova said:

I don't think it's as bad people make it out to be. There are far worse super hero movies in my opinion 

But the expectations seem to have been way higher... = first day of a big disappointment might give stronger formulations as later on?

12 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

It probably wouldn't  have done well.  None of the other female super heroes were doing good. 

I haven't seen a female SHM / CBM yet well done. IMHO the most producers / directors / writers have no idea how to overcome the clichés and so on

Now on page 142 (but have to take short breaks in between to do something else)

• Like 1

When Deathly Hallows 2 dropped 12% from the true Friday to Saturday, no one claimed it had anything to do with WOM.

When it fell 72% and then  54% in the next two weekends, no one said that the creative team should be fired.

DH2 had a 2.25X.  No one said it had anything to do with bad WOM.

Movies, especially ones with rabid fan bases, are ridiculously frontloaded now.  This is just another example of it.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

@CJohnThat's the day NuTella will die and we'll get our bitter old man back.

Finally. I miss him. I want our bitter old man back :(

7 hours ago, Rth said:

looking 36-37

Holy Jesus.

6 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Paramount did have the same marketing muscle WB had. It just utilized it poorly.

SS did follow Civil War. ;)

Wrong. It followed Apocalypse :P

59 minutes ago, Baumer said:

When Deathly Hallows 2 dropped 12% from the true Friday to Saturday, no one claimed it had anything to do with WOM.

When it fell 72% and then  54% in the next two weekends, no one said that the creative team should be fired.

Movies, especially ones with rabid fan bases, are ridiculously frontloaded now.  This is just another example of it.

Cause its more enjoyable if it's DC. I just tend to not go in their thread anymore unless I'm posting gifs or new news are being reported.

Edited by Dragon
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Yup, this comparison seems legit. You haven't left anything out.

Oh wait...

dddd.jpg

Gee, I wonder why claims of bad WOM would only plague the 26% rotten movie and not the 96% fresh one.

As for sharp drops - Deathly Hallows 2 was the final film in an 8-film franchise. You had to be a devoted fan to watch it because it relies on so many previous installments. Similar thing can be said for CW - you could not understand that movie fully without being immersed in the MCU. None of that is true for Suicide Squad.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 33