CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Just now, Chaz said:

The Suicide Squad soundtrack will debut at #1 on the Billboard Top 200. Selling about 135k SPS this week.

DC's fourth #1 soundtrack.

Well the soundtrack was amazing. Just wish it wasn't blaring through the first half hour of the movie. 

I would also add that his re: a query about SS and profits was similar to what a producer said on twitter.

Nilephelan has solid insider knowledge. To be perfectly clear, he did not state the budget was 250M for sure. Just that he heard rumbling it was closer to 250M. The listed budget is in line with what a poster here expected too.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Well the soundtrack was amazing. Just wish it wasn't blaring through the first half hour of the movie. 

None of those songs are on the soundtrack. It's all new material.

Edited by Chaz

saying that opening weekend is "critic proof" or only dependent on marketing or whatever is blatantly untrue at this point. previews and opening DAY are fairly based on hype and stuff but it's obvious that wom already takes effect on saturday in this day and age

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

No offense or anything but the man knows more about whats going on, on the inside than most of us here. I'm not saying he's right or anything about SS budget, but don't discredit him by comparing his access of knowledge to our access of knowledge in the industry. For example, do you have inside info on the numbers that a film makes at the box office before they are released? No. Well neither do i. But Nilephlan does. 

Still it doesn't give him a free pass to spread false budget numbers that no other reliable source had stated or can verify.
As I wrote: I respect him, but we are talking about the alledged 250M budget, a company as far as I know is obligated to inform about their real budget costs.
If it was 250M indeed then not only Nilephelan would know about it (along with BOT boards), also other sites would talk about it by now.

Re: Civil War legs... I mentioned this in May, but no matter where you come down on Civil War it's not a rewatchable movie or a first-viewer-friendly movie. This was ignored by us (and by me) when we assumed because it was good it would stick around longer than AOU. Civil War is the fourth or fifth season of a long-running TV show, the first season to (as the Russos mentioned) give up on trying to catch up audiences who are curious but haven't seen the 10 movies of homework. When you give up on trying to bring in new audiences your ceiling drops. Clearly Disney and Feige don't care about bringing in newcomers - they have 2 other movies per year that are completely new stories, and the resident Marvel audience is as consistent as anything this side of Twilight or Potter. They'll retain for movies to come. 

Still, better legs than any of the DC movies, all of which were built to BRING IN new audiences...

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Still it doesn't give him a free pass to spread false budget numbers that no other reliable source had stated or can verify.
As I wrote: I respect him, but we are talking about the alledged 250M budget, a company as far as I know is obligated to inform about their real budget costs.
If it was 250M indeed then not only Nilephelan would know about it (along with BOT boards), also other sites would talk about it by now.

Here you go:

I have heard whispers that the actual budget is way, way higher than any budgets that have been officially acknowledged, and that means the movie has a much steeper path to walk to success. 

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/01/can-suicide-squad-save-the-dc-movieverse

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Nilephelan is an insider, if he's saying budget is 250M then that's the budget.

But every films budget is usually higher than reported. @kowhite is also an insider and has been saying this for years. So it doesn't really matter what they think the budget is we go by what's been reported.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Ohana said:

http://batman-news.com/2015/12/09/ike-barinholtz-suicide-squad-howard-stern/

Also, BOT s assesment of movies that feature Iron Man since Avengers is hilarious to me.

1. Iron Man 3 had a decent performance, right, cause of Avengers' goodwill.

I mean, 174m OW, 409m dom (second of 2016), 1,215B WW (second of 2016, very close to Frozen)

No biggie, decent, Frozen was a box office phenomenon but IM3 was meh,ok, don't care, whatever, should have done more.

2. Avengers : Age of Ultron was even more hilarious, the flop of 2015, that failed to open to 200m, what a disaster  !

191m OW, 459m dom (3rd), 1,4B WW (4 th !,disastrous !).

What a collossal failure that Ultron movie was, ONLY 4th WW, behind little movies like Star Wars, Jurassic World & F&F7, all little known brands of the last 39 years, that were all at their peaks ...

3. Captain American : Avengers are Getting A Divorce, the movie that had to open to 200M and do 1,4; 1,5B WW, right ?

Because it s an Avengers movie kids, don't believe the posters and your ticket sub, it s all a big conspiracy !

Civil War will probably finish 3rd dom (2nd ?) & has a chance at being 1st WW in 2016 but Civil War legs were terrible, nobody saw that movie, WOM was mediocre.

Civil War had such a mundane box office run with those turrible, hairy legs.

Meanwhile Box office runs of Zootopia, Dory & Jungle Book were amaaaaazing even if they did less Civil War Dom & WW (Dory dom excepted).

Since Avengers, there is this unwritten law at BOT that if a movie featuring Iron Man doesn't do 200m OW, 500, 600M Dom & 1,5B WW,

it s a mediocre, meh, decent, disappointing, flop performance.

Bottom Line, what I think is :  Iron Man 3, Avengers Age of Ultron & Captain America : Civil War were all box office phenomenons.

Simple.

Note : No need to reply with concepts like expectations. I know all about it.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5

About the budget, isn't there fudging both ways? As in, doesn't the budget get inflated, but a lot of the money is basically the studio paying itself? I thought I read that somewhere. Seems to me, a lot is made of the budget for films like this, but for some reason the studio keeps putting them out. For example, World War Z is listed as 190m budget, made 200m DOM for a WW of 540m.  Isn't that movie going to have a sequel? Star Trek Into Darkness also has a 190m budget, made 230m DOM for a WW of 467m and got a sequel in Star Trek Beyond (which will have considerably lower numbers than even that with a 185m budget, and sequel planned). Also, seems like the budget of every movie is taken at face value with the exception of the DCEU movies, which continue to get special scrutiny. Again, seeing the performance of peers, I see a movie like Suicide Squad as being a relief to its studio that it doesn't fall into the poorer showings of these other films. In the end, what will be telling, will the the continuation of a series, and looking at the in-studio competition, you can bet WB is happy if not thrilled by the performance of its top franchise.

Furthermore, there's also Rotten Tomatoes relativity. My new coworker was excited to watch Suicide Squad but decided not to due to RT, but she still wanted to watch a movie this weekend and had already seen the animated fare. Considering what options to choose from, all the other major blockbusters were green except for STB. Going by the numbers that we've been seeing, seems like there isn't a rush from the Green Bourne and Green Suicide Squad to the Red STB. Instead, people are just staying home? If there is worry about the sustainability of the DCEU, there should be an extension to such anxiety to the market in general?

5 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I have heard whispers that the actual budget is way, way higher

I heard whispers all my life, many of them weren't true

This is under the category of rumours, in that case I don't mind ppl will say "there's a rumour that SS cost 400M to make and another 300M to advertise".

16 minutes ago, Chaz said:

None of those songs are on the soundtrack. It's all new material.

Well i feel dumb. I thought the soundtrack were the songs in the film. I guess i should state, I thought the score was good. I havent heard the soundtrack yet but I'll prob check it out. 

12 minutes ago, Baumer said:

But every films budget is usually higher than reported. @kowhite is also an insider and has been saying this for years. So it doesn't really matter what they think the budget is we go by what's been reported.

Try telling that to the Marvel fanboys. Civil War absolutely had a 250M budget. But BvS? 300M+ for sure they are lying! Apocalypse? 234M is the real budget! SS? 250M is the budget! 

All studios lie. Disney is one of the studios that overspends all the time. Civil War, The Force Awakens and Ultron cost way more than the reported budget for sure. We should just stick to the reported budget and not bring in "real" budgets or marketing costs because we simply dont fucking know.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Ohana said:

How do you know its false though? You don't. If you think companies are obligated to report their real budget then youre in for a rude awakening. Between reshoots, tax cuts etc no one knows what the real budgets for these films are except for the people on the inside. Nilephelan is man on the inside. Also other sites have hinted at it being above $175M so I don't know why you think its just Nilephelan reporting that. Before the film opened up, there were articles in the Suicide Squad thread talking about how much it cost and some of them had it between $175M-250M. 

• Like 1