CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

IDK, I've heard more interest in Suicide Squad personally from women than from men honestly. Helps that Harley Quinn has been a popular character from her inception and this made her look really great in marketing. Along with a strong role for Viola Davis, SS is more female friendly than the typical superhero movie IMO. Wonder Woman should be bigger though.

(Note: I haven't read any statistics about the demographic of Suicide Squad's OW, just speaking from my intuition.)

Wouldn't call Viola Davis' role in this "strong", lol

6 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Or why good agents press gross points! Although, it seems plausible that a lot of movies come in the black through home entertainment and licensing, and net points reflect that.

Nah, net points is a clever way of saying you ain't getting anything. Licensing is a separate negotiation and unless you're Jack Nicholson in the 1980s you're probably shit out of luck. 

• Like 3

Anybody notice the major scale-down in Suicide Squad advertisement? Bourne and Star Trek Beyond had ~30m spent for tv ads and when last I saw, Suicide Squad last week was about 16m and this week, it's not in the top 5 spending, overshadowed by War Dogs. WB spent less than 4m on tv ads in the week prior to SS release, for less than 20m up to the Tuesday before release. In Chicago, they've already pulled the billboards. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rth said:

Bloody hell this thread has turned into the budget thread lol among many factor to a films budget and the recoup, product placement  can play huge part. Some films have had the prod budget (not inclu P&A) payed for or nearly payed for before the film opens if product placement and tax incentives are high or its at least a substantial contribution to it. I have posted about all this stuff before but there been plenty being said this weekend.

Aren't Bond films basically financed through production placements, the amount of luxury brands in those films and also tie-ins must be pretty lucrative. Aside of the Samsung phones, I didn't really notice any PP in Suicide Squad.

2 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Anybody notice the major scale-down in Suicide Squad advertisement? Bourne and Star Trek Beyond had ~30m spent for tv ads and when last I saw, Suicide Squad last week was about 16m and this week, it's not in the top 5 spending, overshadowed by War Dogs. WB spent less than 4m on tv ads in the week prior to SS release, for less than 20m up to the Tuesday before release. In Chicago, they've already pulled the billboards. 

WB knows it doesn't need the marketing up anymore. The movie is sold. They are probably not expecting good legs either.

• Like 1

Just now, superweirdo87 said:

SS is not especially kid or family friendly, as many have noted. I wonder how that affects merchandise sales. It may have been rated PG-13 to sell Harley Quinn dolls to elementary school aged girls, lol.

Yes, clearly Harley Quinn is being targeted at elementary school girls. ;)

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Adam Sandler, Alvin & the Chipmunks, Madea. Bella Thorne sure is racking up the hits, isn't she?

I need her cast as the new Mary Jane like my life depends on it. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

WB knows it doesn't need the marketing up anymore. The movie is sold. They are probably not expecting good legs either.

It will be very interesting to see how it holds this week
At least on MT it's increasing (53%)

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

It's kind of disturbing when you think about it though. I mean, does WB flat out know these DCEU films suck but are perfectly OK with that because they feel they can market them to big enough OWs not to matter? Have we entered an age where quality really will start meaning nothing to studios with big budget films as they just look for the fastest way to churn out garbage that can be effectively marketed? Yuck, this sucks. 

3 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

SS is not especially kid or family friendly, as many have noted. I wonder how that affects merchandise sales. It may have been rated PG-13 to sell Harley Quinn dolls to elementary school aged girls, lol.

At the theater there was a young girl who approached the cut outs of all the characters and the only one she stared at was Harley Quinn 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's kind of disturbing when you think about it though. I mean, does WB flat out know these DCEU films suck but are perfectly OK with that because they feel they can market them to big enough OWs not to matter? Have we entered an age where quality really will start meaning nothing to studios with big budget films as they just look for the fastest way to churn out garbage that can be effectively marketed? Yuck, this sucks. 

No buddy, they want to make good movies. They have a long term plan that is doomed to fail if they continue to release shit. At this point they already burned two potential sequels (MoS and SS) because they know those would see massive decreases if they ever happened. A sequel to MoS is salvageable if JL is well received (I am not betting on it) but a SS sequel is probably gonna stay in the can for a while when a few months ago it was a priority for them (remember the plans to shoot this Fall for a 2018 release? Lol). And they probably know WOM is gonna be bad for a few weeks now. What is the point of continuing the marketing in all fronts when you know a 65%+ drop is coming? Might as well just spend a few a bucks on TV spots saying Number 1 Movie in America and be done with it. 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Have we entered an age where quality really will start meaning nothing to studios with big budget films as they just look for the fastest way to churn out garbage that can be effectively marketed? Yuck, this sucks. 

You say that like it hasn't already been the case for like 10-15 years minimum. :lol: 

• Like 3