CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

From Deadline

Given that BvS opened on Good Friday, this is insanely encouraging.

I want this to go over BvS SO BAD. If there's justice, the best DCEU film will be the one that will make more money and be profitable. Then get Ayer and the Skwad back with TIME for writing a great script. I want more of this. 

This is absolutely going to perform like a sequel- it has references to Man of Steel and a Batman cameo in the trailer, for crying out loud. This is a part of an established franchise. And those are getting more and more frontloaded every year. Plus, the entire marketing campaign/style of the movie was centered towards appealing to the teenage crowd that is the most reliable midnight demographic. I don't see any reason this won't be hugely frontloaded. I do think that the T-Mobile promotion will keep Friday up pretty huge, but I think Saturday is definitely dropping from the true Friday number without previews. If it does 65 today, I'd predict about 40 for Saturday. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The drop tomorrow is what's gonna be most telling to me. After all, word-of-mouth spreads like wildfire these days.

I'd guess 75% of people who usually go see a comicbook film on opening day previews or midnight are the "Fanboys" so WOM will ALWAYS be good coming out of them.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Is it really that shocking? :P

Anybody doubt it's opening above Deadpool now?

Yes.  There's not a lot of precedent for this to get over 150 mill.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

This is absolutely going to perform like a sequel- it has references to Man of Steel and a Batman cameo in the trailer, for crying out loud. This is a part of an established franchise. And those are getting more and more frontloaded every year. Plus, the entire marketing campaign/style of the movie was centered towards appealing to the teenage crowd that is the most reliable midnight demographic. I don't see any reason this won't be hugely frontloaded. I do think that the T-Mobile promotion will keep Friday up pretty huge, but I think Saturday is definitely dropping from the true Friday number without previews. If it does 65 today, I'd predict about 40 for Saturday. 

You make some great points.  I'm going to say the Saturday number is higher though.  This is summer so I think there's more people to go out and see it.  So I think it can do 135-140 OW.

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Is it really that shocking? :P

Anybody doubt it's opening above Deadpool now?

Yes. 

Deadpool opened to $132M. 

With its preview number there is a lot of wiggle room. It can go anywhere from $120M to $150M. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

I'd guess 75% of people who usually go see a comicbook film on opening day previews or midnight are the "Fanboys" so WOM will ALWAYS be good coming out of them.

Then how else do you guage WOM if not from the people who see it opening weekend?

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Some quick comps:

If it follows:

BvS it does 125 mill OW

Civil War:  147

Deadpool:  240 

GOTG:  160

My guess is 140

I'm conflicted. For selfish reasons I should want $125m. I think I'd get a gold account for a month that way. But I really want this thing to break out, so I'm hoping for some insane WOW to carry it. I feel that it might just get that, despite the abysmal RT score.