CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm sure the world can survive more than one female led blockbuster....

The GIF was in response to "first female huge super blockbuster".

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

The GIF was in response to "first female huge super blockbuster".

Star Wars was but it wasn't really marketed as such who went for Rey no one even knew she was the main character until the movie boyega was more front and center. Ww will be clearly a female led movie

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, boomboom234 said:

Star Wars was but it wasn't really marketed as such who went for Rey no one even knew she was the main character until the movie boyega was more front and center. Ww will be clearly a female led movie

Why are you discounting Hunger Games? $400 million, clear female lead. Sequel did $424 million. The third did more than Batman vs. Superman. How are they not female huge super blockbusters? Although I guess one could maybe argue the Twilight series was first.

• Like 7

Why are you discounting Hunger Games? $400 million, clear female lead. Sequel did $424 million. The third did more than Batman vs. Superman. How are they not female huge super blockbusters? Although I guess one could maybe argue the Twilight series was first.

I'm not discounting hunger games just mentioning Star Wars isn't the best for the argument. But they still are relatively rare compared to make ones 

I'm just looking at the overseas numbers for other movies. Damn, I didn't know Ghostbusters overseas were that bad.

I mean, it only has made 62 million so far. Even Fantastic Four managed to make 111 million overseas. There's a good chance Ghostbusters fails to make more than 100 million overseas. That's downright embarrassing for a "certified fresh" movie, which is now a certified flop.

It seems positive reviews and critics didn't give it any legs. I mean, perhaps Ghostbusters is getting ghost legs, because only ghosts may be watching it, which is why its legs have been invisible so far. Ghostbusters sequel will obviously go the same place where TASM 3,4 and Venom went: the trash can. 

Regarding Star Trek Beyond, that's another surprise. Good reviews and critics aren't giving it any legs, either. So, another certified fresh movie that has been a certified flop. It seems critics should have watched it 1000 times to give a boost to its numbers. Yeah, it might make less worldwide, than Independence Day sequel. That would also be embarrassing. 

I hope some people learn that legs and reviews aren't 100% related. You can get the best reviewed movie of the year and it may still end up being a failure. That happens more than what you can imagine. Frontloading is the key. Even Civil War dropped almost 60% for its second weekend. That's a huge drop for a loved and certified fresh movie. If SS drops hard, I really hope people won't get the wrong message. Critics aren't as important as you think they are, and critics are less important than what they think they really are. There's no formula. 

12 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

WB/DC might make a mess with cuts and KT is still in charge at WB. As Drew McWeeny put it, if you want good movies with human resonance, you should not put the guy in charge of roller coasters in the CEO chair.

Ok, I know he did that long ago...but really, they put the guy in charge of home video in charge.

Dubious credentials to lead the company?  Perhaps, but in its favor...diversity?

• Community Manager

Critics and WOM influence legs and such as they affect undecided movie-goers. Clearly Star Trek Beyond's marketing hadn't sold a lot of people or put enough people on the fence to make it a success like the last two Star Trek movies. People just weren't interested for whatever reason.

• Like 7

Critics and WOM influence legs and such as they affect undecided movie-goers. Clearly Star Trek Beyond's marketing hadn't sold a lot of people or put enough people on the fence to make it a success like the last two Star Trek movies. People just weren't interested for whatever reason.

Which is a shame because it is a fun night at the movies.

• Like 1

Just now, trifle said:

Which is a shame because it is a fun night at the movies.

It really was.

Just goes to show make a good mvoie isn't enough.  You've got to make a movie people like...and garner hype Suicide Squad style...to really conquer.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

BOT 2017 in a nutshell (quote me on this):

January: Dissecting Rogue One and Sing's legs (not Passengers though since that won't even get released this year), maybe Live by Night breaks out.

February: This month is going to be FUN. We'll go batshit over Lego Batman, laugh at 50 Shades, Oscars, and a whole lot more.

March: Insanity. 

April: The calm before the storm. We'll have people spouting how Fast 8's drop from 7 is a disaster tho.

May: MASS HYSTERIA...... for the first two or three weeks. Maybe Pirates can save the end of the month?

June: Kill me now. Oh well, at least we're getting Kingsman and The Mummy (don't let me down Kurtzman).

July: THE KING RETURNS. Also, more CBM wars.

August: Alien Covenant will show The Martian wasn't a fluke and Ridley can still make hits! Oh, and that Emoji movie is out. Yay?

September: .................What?

October: Another calm before the storm, though we'll have plenty of "Is Blade Runner a bomb?" discussions.

November: FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK.

December: This might get ugly too.

I legit couldn't remember what movie is opening the summer and had to go look it up. Yet somehow I remembered Jumanji is scheduled for July. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm not expecting it to get anything better than a 65% score at best given Fuqua's inconsistent track record. I fully expect the movie to be the definition of disposable entertainment.

I posted in the Magnificent 7 thread it is damn good and a big crowd pleaser.  

• Like 8