Nova

Tuesday: Suicide Squad $14.27M

16 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I think staying under 65% drop at this point given the reviews is going to be a decent hold.  Anything under 60% is a good hold.  Under 55% is fantastic.  

Impossible to stay under 55 with the 20 mill thursday, wouldn't you say?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I put in the other thread that Ghostbusters is a complete disaster for Sony.  It made less money than comedy junk like Daddy's Home.  My guess is the loss is going to be closer to $100m after everything is counted.  

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think a $50.5M weekend would be less than a 65.5% drop. More along 61-62%. 

Math error:lol: But if SS stays above 9m on Thursday there's a chance it's second weekend drop slips slightly under 60%. 59% or so. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

2nd weekend likely be near 40 milli9n then 50 million

Are u speaking with your brain or your black heart?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I don't know why anyone at all expected it to drop on today???

Because Gotg had a small increase.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Sad considering the response to the movie, at least on BOT, seems good. (RT audience score is rotten though)

Sony trying to alter the marketing in response to misogynists morons messed it up probably.

7 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I put in the other thread that Ghostbusters is a complete disaster for Sony.  It made less money than comedy junk like Daddy's Home.  My guess is the loss is going to be closer to $100m after everything is counted.  

Sony is already spinning it. They don't want folks to know how much of a disaster it is, but its not like its hard to figure out once you do the calculations. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Sony trying to alter the marketing in response to misogynists morons messed it up probably.

Cynically jumping on the gender war was definitely a mistake. Sony's problem was that it totally overestimated how much people cared about all that. 

• Like 2

If it is 14.2, it gives the film the third best Tuesday of the year (behind Dory and SLOP) and the 21st highest Tuesday of all time.

It looks like the summer days are a benefit to the film considering Dory and SLOP were also summer releases.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Daddys home made 150M?????

Holy shit. Wonder if Trek can overhaul that to become Paramount's highest grosser since Rogue Nation.

• Like 1

I think Sony biggest mistake was making a shitty film with mostly annoying and painfully unfunny characters.

But that's just me.

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

At worst it is likely sitting at $225m or so after this weekend.  Figure it will do $20m during the following week and $22m the following weekend.  Should put it near $270m on Aug. 21st

Likely going to end up around $315m range.  That is a huge win for DC/WB, but they have to start turning out more quality movies.  

Huge win for sure. If you said a couple years ago that a DC movie without Batman or Superman (or Justice League) in the title could make $300m domestic, I think WB would be jumping for joy.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

Fantastic 4 with the highest increase? Laughable. Its the worst of them all. 

It also had by far the lowest OW out of those, so it's not that shocking. That increase definitely didn't help the movie at all anyway. Still the bomb it deserves to be. :)

As someone rooting for SS I still feel 65%+ drop could happen, mostly based on those insane previews.

Just imagine the Fri-Fri drop. Sat-Sat and Sun-Sun drop will recover.

Even Bourne and Trek dropped 58-62% in the 2nd weekend.

Would be happy with 45 which will take it past 220 and on track for 300.