Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I think even if they made something the combined quality The Godfather II and Citizen Kane it won't be increasing much if any. 

Can you imagine a casual movie goer trying to walk in cold or even semi-cold to Infinity War?  The utter confusion would be hilarious as they tried to piece together who the 60+ characters are.  

The good news for Marvel and Disney is they did a great job of creating a huge fan base that can get them to the $150m - $200m domestic area for most individual character movies, $250m - $400m for really popular characters or partial team up movies and $450m+ for bringing all the Avengers together.  

They are never getting back to the $600m+ range again and may possibly hit $500m for the final Avengers movie if people think their favorite characters aren't going to be appearing anymore.  

I think it's not an issue of having a lot of characters but how much they reference their backstories and previous movies. Obviously The Avengers did very well and most of that audience probably did not see the first Thor or Captain America, but that movie was a simple team up to fight evil bad guy routine whereas Civil War was about some bad guy who was pissed about what happened in the last movie trying to manipulate the heroes into fighting over some other stuff that happened in the last 3 movies while all these other characters join a side because of reasons from other past movies and oh btw there's these two new characters, one of whom was just in a bunch of movies made by another studio but now is a totally different actor. Infinity War will probably be closer to the straight forward good buys fight a bad dude formula. 

Edited by moviesRus
  • Like 2

Yeah one of my bosses saw Civil War and said other than some cool shots, he said it was too shaky,because he had never seen a previous marvel movie he felt lost the whole time. 

Also while I enjoyed it enough when my Step-Mom asked it her and my dad should go I told them no because they had never seen a marvel movie before. My Dad feel asleep half way through Iron Man 1 on HBO thats it. 

Anyways point is, if you've seen the Marvel movies I'm sure you enjoyed Civil War to an extent and if you haven't seen the marvel movies, it would be pretty hard to like it enough to praise and recommend to create enough WOM to escape the very large fanbase. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Can you imagine a casual movie goer trying to walk in cold or even semi-cold to Infinity War?

No. I would have to wonder what the hell convinced them to see the movie in the first place? Ten years and they never heard of the MCU or bothered to watch a single movie beforehand?

Edited by Haley Ross

I'm sure no has mentioned this but Hell or High Water is off to a rosy start in limited release with a $6K opening day average from 32 theaters. I think this is going places between the 99% RT score and the fact we're about to enter a slow stretch that will allow it to stand out as a must-see title in a barren marketplace.

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Didn't Iron Man 2 have behind the scenes issues?  Rourke hating Marvel, problems with his salary, Rourke saying that most of his scenes were cut and so on. It also seems that Favreau was forced to make some changes in the movie, in order to put a set up to Avengers and so on.

Iron Man 2, Thor The Dark World and Age of Ultron are easily the weakest MCU movies. 

I think Thor also faced some problems. Director didn't like the post credit set up to GOTG, didn't know what to do with the story, had to ask for Whedon's help a couple of times. Regarding AOU, it seems Whedon and the producers clashed during the production. Hawkeye's farm scene and Thor's cave scene are pretty much the evidence of studio interference. AOU had a weird pacing. I hated the farm scene, it simply killed the movie.

I hated Age of Ultron in the theater and was so bored I fell asleep twice due to the pacing.  Liked it better on cable when I could watch it in pieces.  Also thought the ending was sort of a repeat of the end of Avengers.  The team fights wave after wave of a robot or robot like enemy while Captain America is concentrating on saving citizens during it.   Never felt any of them were truly in danger 99% of the time.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Didn't Iron Man 2 have behind the scenes issues?  Rourke hating Marvel, problems with his salary, Rourke saying that most of his scenes were cut and so on. It also seems that Favreau was forced to make some changes in the movie, in order to put a set up to Avengers and so on.

Iron Man 2, Thor The Dark World and Age of Ultron are easily the weakest MCU movies. 

I think Thor also faced some problems. Director didn't like the post credit set up to GOTG, didn't know what to do with the story, had to ask for Whedon's help a couple of times. Regarding AOU, it seems Whedon and the producers clashed during the production. Hawkeye's farm scene and Thor's cave scene are pretty much the evidence of studio interference. AOU had a weird pacing. I hated the farm scene, it simply killed the movie.

IM2 - they should have cut more of Roarke and his fucking bird.  Dreadful.  The film was rushed into production to fill the 2010 slot because Thor and Cap weren't ready to be filmed yet.   But they started Iron Man without a completed script and RDJ and Bridges wrote a lot of their own dialogue.  Bridges said it was like being on the most expensive seat of your pants Indie set.

TDW suffered from a changing of directors and the illness and death of co-write Payne (who also wrote Thor) from cancer.  I don't think they ever had a good handle on it.  Taylor complained a lot about studio interference in the editing room but then he went on to make Terminator Genisys so it could have been much worse.

Whedon has said over and over that AOU is his most personal movie and far more his than The Avengers. He said he's the one that fought for the whole of farm scene (which I enjoy) during editing and he wanted the whole cave scene but early audience screenings did not like it.   I don't think it belongs on the level of the other two. I like the film a lot, much more than the overrated GOTG.

Edited by TalismanRing

Also, wasn't The Incredible Hulk a troubled movie cause of the editing conflicts and Norton being .. Norton. You can definitely tell which movies Marvel had nightmares over. Still pretty impressed that they managed to eek out watchable movies out of what could've been Fantastic 4 level disasters. 

Edited by moviesRus

I know I missed the Sausage Party anti-religion conversation but as a Christian I wasn't offended at all. I think most of the time those that get offended are older generation and far more conservative. I mean sure I don't agree with the movie's message but I can overlook that given it's just a stoner comedy. I have a ton of friends who are Christian that enjoy This Is The End as well. Family Guy said it best 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Total anecdote: last week I had an husband/wife organizer team come to help clean up my office (total mess since we moved). I got to talking with the guy about summer movies, because he said how much he loves going to see blockbusters. (The conversation started off when he asked if I was gonna see SUICIDE SQUAD). After raving about BAD MOMS, he started talking about other big summer movies he'd seen. I asked if he saw X-MEN, and he said he didn't like it that much. Said he was expecting something bigger and cooler, not two teams fighting against each other. I said, wait a sec, are you talking about X-MEN? He then realized he was talking about CIVIL WAR, which he reiterated he didn't like it much. Then he said he really enjoyed X-MEN.

General audiences, man.

I agree CW should've made about 200 million more dollars. The legs were just terrible for being a well reviewed film.

9 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I know I missed the Sausage Party anti-religion conversation but as a Christian I wasn't offended at all. I think most of the time those that get offended are older generation and far more conservative. I mean sure I don't agree withthe movie's message but I can overlook that given it's just a stoner comedy. I have a ton of friends who are Christian that enjoy This Is The End as well. Family Guy said it best 

Isn't this movie about sausages and other inhabitants of the Deli counter? 

Why would anyone care let alone take personally their views on religion or God?   Do they think sausages have souls?  If so are they worried about the sausages they consumed calling them out in the afterlife?

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Isn't this movie about sausages and other inhabitants of the Deli counter? 

Why would anyone care let alone take personally their views on religion or God?   Do they think sausages have souls?  If so are they worried about the sausages they consumed calling them out in the afterlife?

Don't want to enter spoiler territory but the film is deeper than you would expect. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Yeah one of my bosses saw Civil War and said other than some cool shots, he said it was too shaky,because he had never seen a previous marvel movie he felt lost the whole time. 

Also while I enjoyed it enough when my Step-Mom asked it her and my dad should go I told them no because they had never seen a marvel movie before. My Dad feel asleep half way through Iron Man 1 on HBO thats it. 

Anyways point is, if you've seen the Marvel movies I'm sure you enjoyed Civil War to an extent and if you haven't seen the marvel movies, it would be pretty hard to like it enough to praise and recommend to create enough WOM to escape the very large fanbase. 

Something I've been wanting to blog about but haven't had the time, is how the MCU is more or less turning into a TV show on the big screen. It's increasingly involved with its own continuity, and breaking into it requires a larger and larger "marathon" session.

If I'm being uncharitable, the MCU has all the drawbacks of TV with few of the benefits. But it's not actually that bad. Even so, it does form a core part of my gripe. I like TV, but I really do want films I go to see in the theater to not be TV. Perhaps all cinematic universes will end up like this, though... that is, of course, if anyone else manages to get a successful CU off the ground. The DCEU is the closest, but they're still too early to tell one way or the other.

• Like 1