WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

STAR TREK is on 72M OS right now according to BOM. What's the final OS looking at approx?

DOM could end up at ~160M. If it makes 200M OS, it will do 360M WW (185 prod budget * 2).

Considering it's only on 72M OS after so many days of release, 150M OS+ doesn't look likely does it.

It hasn't released in China yet, and France/South Korea opened this week. Brazil to follow. It will probably get close to 200m OS.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, a2knet said:

STAR TREK is on 72M OS right now according to BOM. What's the final OS looking at approx?

DOM could end up at ~160M. If it makes 200M OS, it will do 360M WW (185 prod budget * 2).

Considering it's only on 72M OS after so many days of release, 150M OS+ doesn't look likely does it.

These are the remaining international release dates:

Israel 25 August 2016  
Portugal 25 August 2016  
Turkey 26 August 2016  
Venezuela 26 August 2016  
Argentina 1 September 2016  
Brazil 1 September 2016  
Chile 1 September 2016  
Colombia 1 September 2016  
Panama 1 September 2016  
Peru 1 September 2016  
China 2 September 2016  
Mexico 2 September 2016  
Japan 21 October 2016

Edited by Kathemy
ETR
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It hasn't released in China yet, and France/South Korea opened this week. Brazil to follow. It will probably get close to 200m OS.

12 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

These are the remaining international release dates:

Israel 25 August 2016  
Portugal 25 August 2016  
Turkey 26 August 2016  
Venezuela 26 August 2016  
Argentina 1 September 2016  
Brazil 1 September 2016  
Chile 1 September 2016  
Colombia 1 September 2016  
Panama 1 September 2016  
Peru 1 September 2016  
China 2 September 2016  
Mexico 2 September 2016  
Japan 21 October 2016

Thanks.

Looking at ~350 WW probably. Meh on a 185 budget (SS is getting doubters on it's success after projections of 650 WW :lol:)

but hopefully Paramount gets it together for the 4th one.

Always sad to see a quality franchise/movie under-perform.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

I don't understand that Japan release date. Two months after China? One quarter after domestic release?!

XA just opened there last weekend.  I don't get why it is so drawn out a release schedule either, but it isn't the only one.

Edited by trifle

15 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

I don't understand that Japan release date. Two months after China? One quarter after domestic release?!

That's Japan to you. I don't know why either but they keep getting stuff much later than everyone else.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Saw an article from Variety about Ben-Hur bombing because it doesn't have a movie star

As if there are more than 5ish actors who could've saved it, lol. And none of them woulda touched a Ben-Hur remake with a 50 foot pole

Well that's true, but to be fair I do think getting a name actor would have helped. A lot of the positive comments I see about Mag7 have to do with the cast.

Getting big names to star in a movie does a lot to elevate the perception of it as worthwhile (I think that applies even more to remakes/reboots).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kathemy said:

If people want to look at a box office "disaster", they don't need to look further than Star Trek Beyond. Now that's a disaster where the movie is underperforming so badly it will probably lead to no sequel being made. Shame, too, it was the best of the reboot films for me.

STB is gonna lose money theatrically, but I wouldn't call it a box-office disaster either. These franchise series made profitable on the backend and breath life into library titles -- they're valuable to studios in the long run, even if they lose money up front.

• Like 7

September as a whole has a lot of box office potential:

Morgan or Light Between Oceans could pull a 15M debut (most likely Morgan, as I'm not too sure... is Light even a super wide release?)

Sully will have a 25/80 run IMO 

Snowden could do 17/50 if it turns out to be good. Same for Bridget Jones.

Fully expecting Blair Witch to open at least to Lights Out numbers.

Mag7 will break the September OW record. Storks will open to 35-40M.

Deepwater Horizon I think will be a surprise hit. Lone Survivor numbers if it's good. 25/60 if it's just meh.

Miss Peregrine looks cool but probably too weird or niche to be a big hit. 20/60 is the most I see for it.

34 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

That's Japan to you. I don't know why either but they keep getting stuff much later than everyone else.

It's because there are only a few lucrative seasons to open movies in Japan. Anything opening outside of March, April, July, August and December is assumed to be a dud.

@Corpse

Is this right?

Edited by cannastop

I can't believe this has to be repeated: actors act. They aren't privy to other information... in fact, a lot of time, actors don't even read the whole script. The WB bean-counters wouldn't show the full budget to Will Smith, let alone Joe Schmoe. The director probably doesn't know the true details of the exact budget even. That info is pure producer/financier/exec/accounting-country. Not only is the budget not available to crew -- even if they have friends or acquaintances who might know -- most people don't understand budgets either. Are they talking production budget alone? Above-the-line budget? Below-the-line budget? Production+marketing? P&A only? These are constantly conflated, even by industry people, let alone those who wouldn't have a habit of knowing the details (like actors).

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

STB is gonna lose money theatrically, but I wouldn't call it a box-office disaster either. These franchise series made profitable on the backend and breath life into library titles -- they're valuable to studios in the long run, even if they lose money up front.

I hope you are right. I don't want to wait another 7 years for a new Trek movie. Also with CBS's bizarre pay-service for Star Trek I can see that show bombing hard, and I don't want that to happen either.

• Like 1

Just now, Kathemy said:

I hope you are right. I don't want to wait another 7 years for a new Trek movie. Also with CBS's bizarre pay-service for Star Trek I can see that show bombing hard, and I don't want that to happen either.

Well, it's gonna be hard to specifically say what's considered "bombing" there. CBS is putting a lot into their new service, so they want to drive eyeballs and subscribers to it. I don't think them cancelling a tentpole, headline show after one season, because they need it (and others) to get enough people interested to subscribe. A merry-go-round of shows getting cancelled isn't gonna do that.

What's old is new again too -- the 1970s series "Star Trek: Phase II" (which later was repurposed into THE MOTION PICTURE) was gonna be the flagship show for a new, fourth Paramount network.

• Like 3

We'll see. I like the starship design, I'll grant it that. Really wondering how they're going to go about the storyline.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks it's a bit of a coincidence that they're setting Discovery smack in the period of the Federation-Klingon war after Axanar had a huge success with its prelude film in that timeframe?

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Kubo worth seeing in 3D? Just lost power and found out it will be out until at least midnight.

Yes!

The only other movie i've seen in 3D this year was Jungle Book and this blew that away completely. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

I can't believe this has to be repeated: actors act. They aren't privy to other information... in fact, a lot of time, actors don't even read the whole script. The WB bean-counters wouldn't show the full budget to Will Smith, let alone Joe Schmoe. The director probably doesn't know the true details of the exact budget even. That info is pure producer/financier/exec/accounting-country. Not only is the budget not available to crew -- even if they have friends or acquaintances who might know -- most people don't understand budgets either. Are they talking production budget alone? Above-the-line budget? Below-the-line budget? Production+marketing? P&A only? These are constantly conflated, even by industry people, let alone those who wouldn't have a habit of knowing the details (like actors).

Come to think of it, do people expect to know movie budgets? Do they know the budget of any other corporate project?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brainiac5 said:

You guys come up with all kinds of sh!t.

Oh good counter argument.

So exactly how am I wrong?   If it eeks over $300 million you are going to stand there and say that if something like Dr. Strange or Fantastic Beasts had come out in its 4th or 5th weekend that it wouldn't have negatively impacted SS's box office total?  I mean this is like intuitively obvious, we see movies all the time hit by big competition that cuts its legs out.  SS has a great release date in terms of smaller, less hyped competition.  The months before it were much more brutal.

Do you even think about the posts you read before you make a comment or would that slow you down too much?

• Like 2