WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

2 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

I use the term to refer to a movie with an emptiness of purpose apart from looking artistic, highbrow and serious. Oscar-bait movies are another thing entirely - they must have a gripping, mainstream and ideally also politically correct message, be cast with big-name actors and have great production values. A critic-bait movie is a movie the critic figures he's cool for liking. Sort of the hipster effect.

I still don't get what you're describing, I'm not a critic yet I genuinely loved The Witch. And it's not "empty of purpose", whatever that means. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

I use the term to refer to a movie with an emptiness of purpose apart from looking artistic, highbrow and serious. Oscar-bait movies are another thing entirely - they must have a gripping, mainstream and ideally also politically correct message, be cast with big-name actors and have great production values. A critic-bait movie is a movie the critic figures he's cool for liking. Sort of the hipster effect.

Reaction GIF: stare, not impressed, Nick Offerman, Ron Swanson, Parks and Recreation

• Like 1