Jake Gittes

Manchester By The Sea | Kenneth Lonergan | Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams | November 2016

Jesus, what an obnoxious movie.

That revelation scene at the middle of the movie was laughable, outrageous & distasteful.

Like I said it made guys like Inarittu & McQueen look like subtle & nuanced filmmakers.

So this is what cinephiles celebrate as landmark filmmaking in 2017 ?

Standards are pretty low these days it seems.

Such a drab, little & mundane affair.

• Like 1

Amazon did really well handling this movie, while Netflix rules them on TV, they could do better with their movies and they didn't ignore the traditional theater route unlike what Netflix did with Beasts of No Nation which barely a theatrical release. I mean they were gunning for Oscars, so a proper theatrical release is important with this voting body

• Like 5

On 1/5/2017 at 9:53 PM, The Futurist said:

Jesus, what an obnoxious movie.

That revelation scene at the middle of the movie was laughable, outrageous & distasteful.

Like I said it made guys like Inarittu & McQueen look like subtle & nuanced filmmakers.

So this is what cinephiles celebrate as landmark filmmaking in 2017 ?

Standards are pretty low these days it seems.

Such a drab, little & mundane affair.

Couldnt have said it better. The movie sucked in every way a movie can suck. One of the worst piles of crap in ages. You put it best, LITTLE mundane movie. Nothing substantial to say and we are supposed to celebrate it for its complete mediocrity as a movie. No thanks.

I really liked Michelle's character and would have liked the movie a lot better if it had been from her point of view instead of Casey's character. His character was so one dimensional and boring. Hers changed and actually pulled herself together and did the right thing. 

3 minutes ago, Frozen said:

I really liked Michelle's character and would have liked the movie a lot better if it had been from her point of view instead of Casey's character. His character was so one dimensional and boring. Hers changed and actually pulled herself together and did the right thing. 

She was anything but the definition of pulling herself together. She jumped into another marriage right away and had a child right away. That was simply a defense mechanism or her way of dealing with everything. This was evidenced when she had her big one-on-one talk with Casey and she professed my undying love to him and basically said that she wished they could get back together. She was not even close to being over what happened. She just dealt with it in a very different way than what he did.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

She was anything but the definition of pulling herself together. She jumped into another marriage right away and had a child right away. That was simply a defense mechanism or her way of dealing with everything. This was evidenced when she had her big one-on-one talk with Casey and she professed my undying love to him and basically said that she wished they could get back together. She was not even close to being over what happened. She just dealt with it in a very different way than what he did.

She didn't jump into another marriage. It had been 10 years. She did not want to get back together with him. She simply wanted to be his friend and help him with his problems that she felt she caused. 

• Like 1

Just now, Frozen said:

She didn't jump into another marriage. It had been 10 years. She did not want to get back together with him. She simply wanted to be his friend and help him with his problems that she felt she caused. 

Uh no. She loves him. Thats exactly what she said. She was far from over everything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I think she regretted whatever she did to push him away not long after she did it, but she knew there was no going back. Interesting to think her story is probably the real tragedy.

It's an incredible personal tragedy for both of them but he's got the more classically dramatic tragic story, because he caused it through his own fatal flaw.

Honestly I wondered what would have happened to Randi on an emotional level should Lee have actually killed himself at the police station. It was clear at the point that he and Patrick were still fragmented, but losing all of your children and your ex-husband within only a few days would have utterly crushed her, and likely Patrick as well in the long run.

Truly terrific human drama.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's an incredible personal tragedy for both of them but he's got the more classically dramatic tragic story, because he caused it through his own fatal flaw.

but he's able to find a measure of solace through his renewed relationship with his nephew even with his pain keeping him at a certain distance. She however appears doomed to a lifetime of regret from demonizing him for his mistake

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

Honestly I wondered what would have happened to Randi on an emotional level should Lee have actually killed himself at the police station. It was clear at the point that he and Patrick were still fragmented, but losing all of your children and your ex-husband within only a few days would have utterly crushed her, and likely Patrick as well in the long run.

Truly terrific human drama.

I'll say I'd hope most cops would have a much more sensitive  demeanor when dealing with people who are directly responsible for a tragedy and clearly are beside themselves with guilt for it.

10 hours ago, forg said:

Amazon did really well handling this movie, while Netflix rules them on TV, they could do better with their movies and they didn't ignore the traditional theater route unlike what Netflix did with Beasts of No Nation which barely a theatrical release. I mean they were gunning for Oscars, so a proper theatrical release is important with this voting body

Netflix shot themselves in the foot by not giving their films proper releases theatrically whereas Amazon are working with distributors to get their films to a wide audience before they go on Prime. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Hide contents

but he's able to find a measure of solace through his renewed relationship with his nephew even with his pain keeping him at a certain distance. She however appears doomed to a lifetime of regret from demonizing him for his mistake

I don't think it's that conclusive on her end. You could argue that despite

her grief, she has a baby she loves and a husband who loves her.

But regardless, I'm talking more about the strict dramatic definition of tragedy, which needs a measure of direct responsibility directly tied to a character's flaw. Admittedly this can be different from how we commonly refer to tragedy in real life, where it basically means "something horrible happens to you."

Even though it was a very small scene and a quick one line, I thought that when the cop told Casey Affleck that he made a horrible mistake but there's no crime in what he did.....I thought that was such an incredibly powerful moment. I don't even know why..... you can obviously understand the guilt and the pain and the anguish that he is going through but at the same time the cop was right. There was no malice involved, obviously. But his horrible horrible mistake resulted in something that is just unfathomable

• Like 5