grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

SS only got two big drops (from opening weekend and the next).

Alos,  GotG put on shame most superhero movies legs , not only SS. If Anything, speaks more about the movie itself than it's competidors

Edited by Gustavo

5 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

You lost me at comparing Assassin's Creed to Point Break. There was nothing appealing about the latter. There's plenty to like in what we've seen so far for the former. 

Not really. It reminds me of Prince of Persia (which was a huge bomb of course). And Fassbender is becoming box office poison (remember when they conducted that poll last fall and they said interest in Steve Jobs actually fell when they found out he was the star? Yikes).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not really. It reminds me of Prince of Persia (which was a huge bomb of course). And Fassbender is becoming box office poison (remember when they conducted that poll last fall and they said interest in Steve Jobs actually fell when they found out he was the star? Yikes).

Omg send that poll to me NOW.  lmao

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wow. That is really unbelievable. I wonder why. He is a good actor.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Wow. That is really unbelievable. I wonder why. He is a good actor.

Well, his most known roles are as the villainous Magneto and the cruel slave owner in 12 Years a Slave. Not exactly roles that would make him endearing to audiences. The rise of Chris Pratt just cements that American audiences want their movie stars to be playful and charismatic and not at all frosty.

Edited by filmlover

6 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The film of the summer further impresses. SS is having an amazing run, Beating IM and IM2 is a lock now and 320m is almost certainty. What a success for DCU.

With DORY and SLOP doing what they did I wouldn't call SS the film of the summer. :)

edit: Unless you are going by how much you liked the film in which case it's subjective and so you are totally entitled to that opinion.

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, his most known roles are as the villainous Magneto and the cruel slave owner in 12 Years a Slave. Not exactly roles that would make him endearing to audiences. The rise of Chris Pratt just cements that American audiences want their movie stars to be playful and charismatic and not at all frosty.

Interesting. Even his neutral roles in movies like Prometheus are somewhat creepy. 

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

GotG2 is going to destroy SS2.

I think unless we get a Batfleck movie inbetween SS and its sequel the second movie is going to drop hard. I'm getting Turtles vibes from it tbh.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

41 minutes ago, ThatOneMorgan said:

Omg send that poll to me NOW.  lmao

The trades wrote about it...there was a survey about the level of interest in last fall's movies in general and how people's feelings changed to hear certain stars were attached. Here is that part:

Much has been written and many hands wrung over the diminution of star power, but Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie still seem to earn their paychecks. “By the Sea,” the off-screen couple’s dissection of a failing marriage, got a 43% bump in interest when Pitt and Jolie’s names were attached to the concept. “Daddy’s Home,” an upcoming comedy with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, enjoyed a 51.8% increase and “Rock the Kasbah,” a military comedy with Bill Murray and Bruce Willis, received a 39.7% surge in popularity when the cast was revealed.

Quentin Tarantino is the major attraction when it comes to “The Hateful Eight.” The revisionist western saw its rating jump 26.4% when the “Pulp Fiction” director’s involvement was emphasized. And “The Night Before,” a Christmas comedy with Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, increased 36.5%, while “Bridge of Spies,” a historical drama from Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, climbed 28.3% when their talent was matched with a particular concept.

Not every film was so lucky. “MacBeth,” an adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Scottish Play” with Marion Cottilard and Michael Fassbender, saw it score plunge 23.5% when its stars were listed alongside the film. Likewise, “Victor Frankenstein,” a horror film with James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe stepping into Mary Shelley territory, dropped 14.2% when the actors were matched with the material. Nor was “MacBeth,” the only time Fassbender fell flat with fans. Interest in “Steve Jobs”dipped 7.9% when the Oscar-nominee’s casting as the Apple founder was mentioned alongside the film’s plot description.

Some films are cast proof. Enthusiasm for the new “Star Wars,” for example, neither rose nor fell when its cast of veterans like Harrison Ford and newcomers such as Daisy Ridley was matched to the latest story from a galaxy far, far away.

Percentages are relative, though...if 50,000 people were going to see Rock the Kasbah before and then 75,000 show up because Bill Murray's in it...sure, there's 50% more interest but it's still a flop.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

Amazing drop for Don't Breathe, it is following 10 Cloverfield Lane pretty closely, a total above The Purge 3 and $80m+ is locked, glad that I call it last weekend! 

It will be interesting to see who will win between this and Blair for second biggest horror movie of year, it'll be a tough competition, I would bet in Blair! Oh, and I'm also glad that my 3.0x multiple prediction is probably going to happen. Another horror movie with a 3.0x, incredible year for the genre. :) 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Those may be his most known roles, but his biggest role was Shame. smoking_18.gif

Personally I like Fassbender in his more dry roles like Lt. Hicox in Inglourious Basterds.

11 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Amazing drop for Don't Breathe, it is following 10 Cloverfield Lane pretty closely, a total above The Purge 3 and $80m+ is locked, glad that I call it last weekend! 

It will be interesting to see who will win between this and Blair for second biggest horror movie of year, it'll be a tough competition, I would bet in Blair! Oh, and I'm also glad that my 3.0x multiple prediction is probably going to happen. Another horror movie with a 3.0x, incredible year for the genre. :) 

I can see Blair Witch going over Conjuring 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Asasssin's Creed is more well known and looks more interesting than PoP, which still made 90m domestic/245m overseas/335m worldwide 

• Like 1