chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

4 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Frankenweenie isn't Laika.

Yeah I wasn't clear there. 

I mentioned Frankenweenie with regards to how I always sort of half viewed Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie, Coraline and Paranorman as different bents on the same story (just looking from the posters). I finally saw Corpse Bride about 2 years ago and liked it, so have felt like I should give the other three a try and my personal level of interest having seen the trailers goes: 

Frankeweenie

Coraline

Paranorman.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Yeah I wasn't clear there. 

I mentioned Frankenweenie with regards to how I always sort of half viewed Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie, Coraline and Paranorman as different bents on the same story (just looking from the posters). I finally saw Corpse Bride about 2 years ago and liked it, so have felt like I should give the other three a try and my personal level of interest having seen the trailers goes: 

Frankeweenie

Coraline

Paranorman.

I'd probably rank them:

ParaNorman

Coraline

Frankenweenie

Corpse Bride

The problem with the latter two is that while they absolutely nail the atmosphere, they're a bit thin behind it. Granted, they're still better than most of Burton's output in the past 15 years, but LAIKA manages to create films that are both idiosyncratic and have some notable depth.

• Like 2

45th - Rango

162pts - 15 votes, 1 top 5, (2014: 48th Up 3)

The animation that killed a Pixar project

You know, I saw Rango and despite not having high hopes for it, it turned out that the film was absolutely OK. Yeah it was fine. Lizard fights snake = good times but personally it feels out of place among most of the top 50 in my opinion. 

It received a lot of votes and this is the second time it has placed in the 40s so there are a lot of fans. 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@chasmmi

The movie that killed a Pixar project? Are you sure you're not thinking of Rio? Yes, both Rango and Rio came out in Spring 2011 and have similar looking posters, but they're not the same movie.

I am pretty sure that Pixar were planning to make a film called Newt until Rango came out and they baulked at releasing another lizard film so soon after. 

Same almost happened with Coco after Book of Life came out but they refrained from cancelling it that time. 

At least I think that is what happened. It may well have been Rio, I don't remember well. 

And at least to me, Rango is 100 times more forgettable than Rio :) 

2 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I am pretty sure that Pixar were planning to make a film called Newt until Rango came out and they baulked at releasing another lizard film so soon after. 

Same almost happened with Coco after Book of Life came out but they refrained from cancelling it that time. 

At least I think that is what happened. It may well have been Rio, I don't remember well. 

And at least to me, Rango is 100 times more forgettable than Rio :) 

I think that it was actually Rio that stole that thunder.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/newt-pixars-cancelled-movie

• Like 1

44th - Kung Fu Panda 2

164pts - 17 votes, 2 top 10, (2014: 50th Up 6)

These films were not supposed to be as good as they are. 

I think I have already mentioned that I consider Kung Fu Panda to be the best animated trilogy of all time (and very high on my best trilogy list full stop). I know I am in the minority with that opinion but I stand by it.

Each film has a definite character progression from the previous. They are all emotional, have great comedy and beautiful visuals. Where it is becoming Dragon Warrior, learning Inner Peace or mastering Xi, these films are some of the most underrated animations out there.

While I place this film top 10, it is nice to see the general position holding firm in the top 50. Good job Panda. 

• Like 7

There are only 3 films left on this list that i actively dislike. One of them will be coming up next.,,

(However am going to watch the Grand Prix first so whether next is in 3 hours or 23 hours is up in the air right now... :) 

• Like 1

43rd - Fantastic Mr Fox

167pts - 12 votes, 1 top 5, 2 top 10, (2014: 49th Up 6)

Of everything that I have seen from the top 150, this comes very close to the bottom of the list for me. A rare animated film that I hate.

Yet apparently any folks love this film. It boggles my mind (but to be fair, people liking anything directed by anybody with the surname Anderson consistently baffles me :) )

This is the most high profile of the animated Roald Dahl adaptations (and the only only eligible for this list), and consistently finds itself in the top 50.

In fact in 2014, it went:

50th Kung Fu Panda 2

49th Fantastic Mr. Fox

48th Rango

And now:

45th Rango

44th Kung Fu Panda

43rd Fantastic Mr. Fox

That's consistency right there. 

• Like 10