MCKillswitch123

#UnpopularOpinions: Movies you think will overperform vs. movies you think will underperform given general expectations

On 21/12/2016 at 9:16 PM, Tele Came Back said:

Moderation:

ENOUGH WITH THE JAMES CAMERON AND AVATAR SHIT

He's arguably my favorite director, but goddammit, this nonsense is infecting every single goddamn thread here.

lol

I think Dunkirk will not do aswell as people on here are hoping, war films just aren't that interesting to the GN.

Edited by IronJimbo

10 hours ago, cannastop said:

The new Blade Runner will make less than $100m dom.

Arrival only made 101m DOM, sad!

I think this will have the best marketing of any Villeneuve film, 400m WW! Here we go

14 hours ago, YourMother said:

Time to revive this

Overperform:

Justice League: Most here are thinking around $280M-$325M for this one, however think there is a good chance for $400M, especially if Wonder Woman is good.

Captain Underpants: With the slew of DWA movies we tend to underpredict. Thinking it could perform similar to Trolls.

Kingsman 2: This reminds of 22 Jump Street all over again, this could do over $150M+, even with Ninjago.

Ninjago: If Cars 3, DM3, and Emoji do average business like I expect, I could see this surprise us.

Animated Spider-Man: Although Lego Batman is finishing with $175M, normally I'd expect the same for this, especially with the previous Spider-Man cartoons, however Spider-Man has two things going for it. 1.) Miles Morales, an African American/Hispanic character is this movies Spider-Man and will draw people in. 2.) Christmas legs

Underperform:

Coco: Although it's Pixar, Moana had less competition and more hype and did barely $250M.

Deadpool 2: This will do over $300M, but not much more due to the huge competition it deals with.

Han Solo: Although it's Star Wars, given the competition and perhaps lack of necessary, I could see $400M as the maximum even in the summer.

I would be quite happy with that gross for the Han Solo movie actually. 

2 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

I would be quite happy with that gross for the Han Solo movie actually. 

Same, tbh I could see AIW, TI2, and JW2 gross more domestic if it stays in that Summer Spot.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YourMother said:

How much we talking about?

I am not good at this; I am just going by gut. 

I feel that the whole "OMG, GOTG finally face to face with Avengers...so many heroes and villains together against a greater threat" element in Infinity War is being wildly overestimated. I feel that it won't be as incredibly appealing (or groundbreaking) as many people believe.

I also think that being the first full-fledged major superhero film led by a black hero (and predominantly populated by black characters) is going to push Black Panther beyond typical CBM stats (not unlike what happened with Wonder Woman being the first first full-fledged major superhero film of our time led by a woman).

Just my opinion. 

Edited by Cochofles

As time goes on, the more and more I think Meg has potential to really overperform. Both The Shallows and especially 47 Meters Down went above expectations and had really strong holds, and these were shark movies that were pretty cheap. So a big-budget shark movie has good potential to blow up, especially since there won't be much competition, outside of M:I 6 and Predator. I'm not completely 100% confident, especially since Jason Statham has never really been a good draw in the domestic box office, but I think it will easily cross the $100M mark.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

I am not good at this; I am just going by gut. 

I feel that the whole "OMG, GOTG finally face to face with Avengers...so many heroes and villains together against a greater threat" element is being wildly overestimated. I feel that it won't be as incredibly appealing (or groundbreaking) as many people believe.

I also think that being the first full-fledged major superhero film led by a black hero (and predominantly populated by black characters) is going to push Black Panther beyond typical CBM stats (not unlike what happened with Wonder Woman being the first first full-fledged major superhero film of our time led by a woman).

Just my opinion. 

I meant as in numbers. I have IW at $440M and Panther at $350M.

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

As time goes on, the more and more I think Meg has potential to really overperform. Both The Shallows and especially 47 Meters Down went above expectations and had really strong holds, and these were shark movies that were pretty cheap. So a big-budget shark movie has good potential to blow up, especially since there won't be much competition, outside of M:I 6 and Predator. I'm not completely 100% confident, especially since Jason Statham has never really been a good draw in the domestic box office, but I think it will easily cross the $100M mark.

I wouldn't say 100M, but I kinda agree. Sausage Party and Don't Breathe last year, and hopefully Annabelle II and Hitman's Bodyguard this year, proved that late August is a good market for cheap R-rated adult blockbusters. And if they really sell Meg as Jaws meets Transporter, I think that the GA might eat that shit up big time. I would not be shocked if this went way over expectations.