CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Estimates: Madea - 27.6M; JR 2 - 23M; Ouija 2 - 14M; Accountant - 14m; Joneses - 5.6M

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Can we talk about that excellent GOTT hold?  Despite going up against 4 new releases (one which has the thriller/horror crowd, one with a female crowd, and one with the adult crowd) and mixed WOM, it had a 40% drop.  That's pretty damn great.

Would have been more impressive if it had that drop last weekend or even a drop similar to The Accountant had this weekend. The second weekend drop was just too big for a female skewing thriller.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Would have been more impressive if it had that drop last weekend or even a drop similar to The Accountant had this weekend. The second weekend drop was just too big for a female skewing thriller.

A 50% drop is good, especially since it had frontloading due to its book fanbase and mixed WOM.

What a damn lovely drop for Miss Peregrine. If it keeps dropping sub 40% from now on, does it reach 100m? I mean, it

won't happen, but still...

Never mind, just did the math myself and I guess 90m is what it can hope for.

Edited by Arlborn

58 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What a damn lovely drop for Miss Peregrine. If it keeps dropping sub 40% from now on, does it reach 100m? I mean, it

It has a chance but it needs $82-$84 million before Halloween. Then $87-$89 million before the November 13th. Thanksgiving gives it a boost with a total of $92-$93 million. It ends it run on January 12th, 2017 with $95 million or so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rman823 said:

So looks like the Madea franchise will continue. She still needs to go to Camp after that I think she's done most of the Ernest movies. 

The only thing left for her to do is go to outer space. 

8 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Paramount should have moved Reacher over to January 13 instead of monster trucks.

American Made which stars Cruise was in that slot before it moved to September 29th 2017. I doubt Jack Reacher would have done much better in January and Monster Trucks is a dump release which has already lost money.

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

American Made which stars Cruise was in that slot before it moved to September 29th 2017. I doubt Jack Reacher would have done much better in January and Monster Trucks is a dump release which has already lost money.

Tough to say for sure but following M7, girl on the train, deepwater horizon, and accountant which all go after the same demo as well as opening the same weekend as two horror movies the week before Halloween couldn't have been the best opening for it.

8 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Tough to say for sure but following M7, girl on the train, deepwater horizon, and accountant which all go after the same demo as well as opening the same weekend as two horror movies the week before Halloween couldn't have been the best opening for it.

It would have faced Live by Night on that date which is a similar target audience. February probably would have been better but TBH it was never going to do huge business. 

Speaking of Monster Trucks, it's being released in the UK three weeks earlier than the US. I assume it's been moved forward to avoid Sing which has a January release in the UK and Lego Batman in February but it likely going to get lost between Rogue One, Passengers etc

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

$5 million ($81 million) - minimal family competition, Halloween tie-in and decent WOM should help it get a 15-25% drop next weekend 

$3.25 million ($87 million) 

$2.25 million ($90 million)

$0.75 million ($91 million)

$95-96 million DOM. 

Still solid, but there's definitely not a spectacular performer for Fall 2016. Primarily everything major looks to do $65-95 million DOM other than Sully.