CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Estimates: Madea - 27.6M; JR 2 - 23M; Ouija 2 - 14M; Accountant - 14m; Joneses - 5.6M

I'm curious how the holdovers will perform next week considering that there's no proper wide release apart from Inferno which is bound to disappoint. Sure it might open over 30m, but for a film of that caliber and a nearly guaranteed bad legs to follow that would be bad. Rings having moved really sucks for that weekend.

13 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Rings having moved really sucks for that weekend.

I doubt it. It was originally supposed to come out November 13 last year. I have to imagine the film is godawful and they're dumping it when no one's gonna be looking.

• Like 1

The Accountant was good, but it's dragged down by the government investigation subplot that goes absolutely nowhere and has no impact on the actual story of the movie.

I mean, about 2/3 of the way through the movie slams to a screeching halt so we can get a Nolan-esque 10-minute exposition dump to fill in backstory, courtesy of JK Simmons.

Figured out the movie's main twist about 10 minutes in, but it's pretty heavily telegraphed all the way through so no one should be that surprised when it finally gets "revealed."

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Pink why you gotta do this to me, I was aiming to see it tomorrow.

The cast is low rent (including low rent Jai Courtney henchman), really bad child subplot, and Tom is starting to get too old for this. The direction is subpar too :sadben:

• Like 1

UPDATED, Sat. 11:22 PM:Strong matinees turned into a formidable Saturday night forTyler Perry’s Boo! A Madea Halloween as the Lionsgate film rose 20% from Friday night to take an estimated $11.3M, which means its three-day cume is now hovering around $26.8M. Paramount’s Jack Reacher: Never Go Back will chase in about $8.5M after dropping roughly 4% Saturday following flat matinee business. The estimated cume is around what we were hearing this afternoon — $22.7M

• Like 9

13 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

The Accountant was good, but it's dragged down by the government investigation subplot that goes absolutely nowhere and has no impact on the actual story of the movie.

I mean, about 2/3 of the way through the movie slams to a screeching halt so we can get a Nolan-esque 10-minute exposition dump to fill in backstory, courtesy of JK Simmons.

Figured out the movie's main twist about 10 minutes in, but it's pretty heavily telegraphed all the way through so no one should be that surprised when it finally gets "revealed."

I was so absorbed with the film that I didn't see the twist, either one of them coming at all.  Then again, I wasn't looking for a twist, just a really good movie.

1 minute ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

I was so absorbed with the film that I didn't see the twist, either one of them coming at all.  Then again, I wasn't looking for a twist, just a really good movie.

I can get that. The couple next to me didn't figure it out until

Spoiler

Jon Bernthal was staring at Affleck via the security footage like he got the biggest revelation in the world.

But because the first couple flashbacks took the time to also focus on the brother's reaction and his connection with young Affleck, it just clicked for me that Bernthal was that brother.

• Like 1

Oh, I definitely see why you figured it out Numbers.  I think they did a good job of not giving away too much but if you paid attention, it makes sense.  This happens to me at times though.  When I really enjoy a movie, I tend to just become absorbed with the story and I don't look for twists nor do I try to look ahead in the film.  I like being surprised at times.  This was one of those times.  The send twist was also a really big shock to me.