Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

I understand some of the negativity surrounding this trailer for sure, but I really think it looks great. A little too YA and a few years too late, but for me YA movies always lived and died with the strength of their world-building. That's why the first 2 Hunger Games were great, while 5th Wave, Beautiful Creatures etc etc were crap. This really looks like it's got strong world building, and I hope it can do well enough to get a sequel. 

Cast also looks pretty great too. Recognized the guy from Bad Samaritan, he was actually pretty good in that movie so I'm looking forward to seeing him in this. 

• Like 2

Alright, now for some drivel about the December slate, as if other users hadn't already covered this in the last few pages. :P

Poppins looks like the real winner already. Disney live action have been crazy lately and they've really found their groove for making and marketing these things to be giant blockbusters. The fact that it's opening at the end of December has me thinking it might not have as good of legs as it would have had it opened a week earlier if the schedule was less crowded, but it'll do great nonetheless. Just look at Jumanji. I really don't think over Jungle Book is out of the question.

Aquaman has an uphill battle, but if trailers can catch I don't think it'll be some sort of bomb waiting to happen. Opening around the holidays will help legs, and while this isn't going to be another Wonder Woman, I could see a 60/210 run as long as it's ''good''. 

I just haven't been able to get into the Spider-Man hype yet. I didn't like the first trailer, and I feel like the animated nature will be sort of jarring to some. As if it's just going to be like a full-length TV episode parents can just show their kids on a Saturday morning in front of the TV instead. Still, it's Christmas, so I could see this doing Ferdinand numbers-plus 20-30 percent for the Spider-Man brand. 

Haven't seen the Bumblebee trailer yet but if it looks as good as some people are saying I could definitely see it being number 3 for Christmas season. Transformers is a shell of its former self, but I really think that has a lot to do with the terrible quality of the last few movies. If this can bring back some of the fun of the first movie and add a bit of its own flavour, I don't see why it can't out-gross the last one. 

Holmes and Watson is a huge wildcard. Could be another Daddy's Home sure, or could be another comedy-sacrifice to the Holiday gods ala Father Figures. It won't bomb as hard as FF if its shit just because of the cast and premise. Going to have to wait a bit for a trailer.

That leaves Engines and Alita. Personally, I think Engines looks way better, and has the potential to gross way more. Alita just looks so niche, and there isn't really a way to market it outside of fanboys and geeks. I can honestly seeing Alita grossing Ghost in the Shell numbers, while Engines could more than double that if it's good. I don't think as many people will see Engines as a YA movie as some of us are. Going to depend on quality though. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Which will make more $$$ WW, Alita or this? 

That's an interesting question, I think I would err slightly toward Alita. But there are a lot of factors at play

Mortal Engines has half the budget of Alita ($100 mil for ME and $175-200 mil for A:BA) so even if both of them end up flopping, the hit for ME won't be nearly as hard. 

I do hope both films do well. Cameron and Jackson are two of my favorite filmmakers so I hope them backing these projects really shines through in the quality of both. Even if both of them get buried in the December clusterfuck, I'll still go out and support both films.

• Like 2

This looks more interesting then Alita...

But I supect Aquaman will defeat them both, and then Aqua will be shut down hard by The Nanny....

BTW the visceral hatred for Poppins displayed here is a good example of Nerd Blinders....

Concept and visuals could be a lot more interesting and mind-blowing under a better director (*cough* George Miller *cough*) but the trailer editing and overall directing (and some of the acting) bog it down for now, it seems very paint-by-the-numbers YA and Snowpiercer-lite for kiddos.

To me, this looks like an incredible breath of fresh air. Peter Jackson has, creatively, at least to me, earned a lifetime pass from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm sure I'll be seeing it.

• Like 1

Awesome trailer. I think this looks really creative, and the world building appears to be top-notch. I even kinda dig the post apocalyptic YA feel too. I really hope this does well enough in December, I'm interested in seeing it.