Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

This looks like one of those films that forgot the YA craze died after Katniss. A leftover movie, like Divergent 3, Maze Runner 3, and the Fifth Wave.

Edited by AJG

Poppins: $280M (I have a feeling the family competition in Grinch, Ralph 2, Spiderverse and to a lesser extent Beasts 2 will hurt)

Aquaman: $220M (Should benefit from lack of action movies since October but should hurt from competition and limited screen space).

Spiderverse: $125M (Around Peanuts Movie numbers but will deal with the same problems Poppins might have.)

Bumblebee: $90M (This looks good but it should move to somewhere with less competition)

Holmes: $80M (Could be a wild card if audiences like it)

Alita/Mortal Engines: $70M (both will do about the same)

• Like 3

I don’t see Alita/ME/Bumblebee/Aquaman in the December timeframe for too much longer. One or two will bite the bullet. ME is doomed either way but the other three have a chance. I think Bumblebee should move to January and Aquaman in February (cause Dark Phoenix will flop and Lego 2 is looking at around SOTW-TLBM numbers).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The plot sounds very cliché but I'm loving the vibe and visuals of it. I'm always into interesting world-building so I'll be trying to catch this one at the movies.

Pretty much this. 

• Like 1

I wish one of the December tentpoles had been ready for an August release because the latter month is looking really barren and in need of a blockbuster. Bumblebee could've potentially thrived in that month.

I think this is going to be the biggest loser of the crowded Christmas schedule. It looks like something that should've come out 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Aquaman's not going anywhere. Hell, it's already moved up a week in a few markets. I don't see it hanging on the 21st for much longer. Poppins will be the overall winner of the slate. Spider-Man will do well thanks to IP recognition. Bumblebee is the only one I'm worried about just because I think, if it's not good, the audiences it's aiming for will have better choices at that point. I still think Paramount should've sat on Bumblebee until February. It would've fared much better against Dark Phoenix.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mary Poppins, Spider-Man, and Holmes & Watson all benefit the most from releasing here. The last one might be a bomb based on its CinemaCon recepetion, but it'd flop anywhere. At least here it's the only non-blockbuster option.

It stuns me how many Sherlock Holmes adaptations we're getting... 

We had a tentpole blockbuster action version in 2009.  Then less than a year later, 21st century crime drama which is a huge hit and lasts several years and still going. This year we've had a not inexpensive animated movie based on it, and we're getting a Ferrell/Reilly comedy vehicle at Christmas. Possibly a 3rd Guy Ritchie one soon - Ritchie and Downey will soon have empty plates and I expect them to go back to do that. And there was another drama about Sherlock himself which featured no detective stuff, that film was a couple years ago. 

Isn't there also an American police procedural based on Sherlock Holmes as well? Can't remember what its called.

Sherlock Holmes you think of it and it's quite a niche nerdy thing that isn't much like most other popular stuff among general audiences but the fact all of these can cohabit the space and all succeed (well.. maybe not all, sorry Gnomeo) is testament to how strong the brand is.

I know Will Ferrell is very hit and miss but I think Holmes & Watson is gonna do really well.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AJG said:

This looks like one of those films that forgot the YA craze died after Katniss. A leftover movie, like Divergent 3, Maze Runner 3, and the Fifth Wave.

To be fair I don't think Maze Runner 3 forgot it at all. It would even have come out earlier if it hadn't been for the accident and would surely have done a bit better for that. Even then it kept its budget in check and ended up with a nice little profit cause of that. The Maze Runner trilogy was a low-key hit as it was a middle-budget trilogy done right.

I do agree with your general feeling though, I was thinking pretty much the same while watching this trailer.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I should also mention I still feel like Aquaman would have had a perfect release date on the Bohemian/Nutcracker weekend, but I guess with the VFX still apparently not ready, that idea's probably out of the window.

It's got a good date now, nice counter-programming for Poppins. If it's good it should come out of that pack fine

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I should also mention I still feel like Aquaman would have had a perfect release date on the Bohemian/Nutcracker weekend, but I guess with the VFX still apparently not ready, that idea's probably out of the window.

I’d agree but it’s potentially not to late for Bumblebee but then again Bumblebee could also attract families.

3 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Aquaman's not going anywhere. Hell, it's already moved up a week in a few markets. I don't see it hanging on the 21st for much longer. Poppins will be the overall winner of the slate. Spider-Man will do well thanks to IP recognition. Bumblebee is the only one I'm worried about just because I think, if it's not good, the audiences it's aiming for will have better choices at that point. I still think Paramount should've sat on Bumblebee until February. It would've fared much better against Dark Phoenix.  

If the VFX on Aquaman is taking too long, it can always move to February but it’ll do fine in December regardless. Bumblebee would be good in either February or even January or November if things move briskly imho.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Going from Ron Perlman to Dadbod from Stranger Things is such a downgrade.

I can't say I disagree. First picture looked good though.

DJoO94uUMAAzvNJ.jpg

Which reminds me that we'll probably be getting a trailer for this soon.

Edited by Arlborn

15 minutes ago, gadd said:

I wish one of the December tentpoles had been ready for an August release because the latter month is looking really barren and in need of a blockbuster. Bumblebee could've potentially thrived in that month.

I think this is going to be the biggest loser of the crowded Christmas schedule. It looks like something that should've come out 5 years ago.

Alpha could be that blockbuster!