Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

43 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, this is a odd one. It will definetly flop, but i want to see it. The concept looks really fun.

I agree with you and DAJK...the concept and trailers look fun...not sure I'll get to it in theater, but I'd like it to do well, unless the trailers are way off on the quality of the movie...

The opposite for the Shay:

1. Love PJ and this, while not his own, might be looking as good as The Hobbit.

2. However, I extremely dislike the setting: ugly, useless, nonsensical - and I very much doubt the story is any good either, none of these new SciFi/Fantasy trilogies has ever been.

So I'm gonna see it next week, most probably three times at least, if it looks good indeed. However, if it bombs - and it most probably will, see point 2 above - the Shay won't be sorry at all. PJ should have picked something better, this just isn't worth it.

I heard PJ in a recent desperate promo-clip, claiming: we've never seen something quite as this, meaning the setting.

The Shay's answer is: Yeah, we also haven't seen COWS FLYING AND SHITTING FROM ABOVE, but nobody's in a hurry to make a novel or movie about that!!

Also, even the setting is not that original, this is just dumb, ugly Steampunk (or post-apocalyptic Dieselpunk)! If it was classic Steampunk, it would be way better, because Steampunk can be beautiful uplifting adventure with a Fantasy feel. While this - this is just the latest disgusting YA dystopian shit like Hunger Games (blargh!!), Divergent and countless others.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, shayhiri said:

I heard PJ in a recent desperate promo-clip, claiming: we've never seen something quite as this, meaning the setting.

The Shay's answer is: Yeah, we also haven't seen COWS FLYING AND SHITTING FROM ABOVE, but nobody's in a hurry to make a novel or movie about that!!

This it the single greatest post ever on any forum in any year. Hats off to you, sir. We are not worthy. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

On a scale of originality Mortal Engines is pretty high on the list compared to everything else we get in terms of blockbusters and some are even trying to take that away from it...

Adaptions can't be counted as original movies. I agree that the book sounds fairly original though. 

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Adaptions can't be counted as original movies. I agree that the book sounds fairly original though. 

I'm pretty sure he knows that already, that is why he wrote "on a scale of originality". A first adaptation like ME is fresher than all other December blockbusters.

• Like 1

As for not seeing cities move on their own before, check THIS out:

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aE2YY09_460svvp9.webm

This is a smallish Russian one, that not only moves, but strides with its FEET (and not wheels or caterpillar tracks, which are the more boring and standard option)!!

Soo - it seems we're getting there, PJ! ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

As for not seeing cities move on their own before, check THIS out:

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aE2YY09_460svvp9.webm

This is a smallish Russian one, that not only moves, but strides with its FEET (and not wheels or caterpillar tracks, which are the more boring and standard option)!!

Soo - it seems we're getting there, PJ! ;)

Looks like some Miyasaki shit in real life! :winomg:

YEAH, PRACTICAL EFFECTS!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nevermore said:

There wasn't much hope for this movie, but this basically seals the deal. 

I don't know...seems like the kind of movie that, say, Transformer movie fans would eat up...total spectacular spectacle with little character development:)...those types of movies have sold before (of course, there's no toy or tv tie-in:)...