kayumanggi

SNOW WHITE | 03.21.2025 | Disney

21 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Brie Larson, Anne Hathaway, Rachel Zegler, etc etc. If a young woman speaks her mind, the internet turns them into a monster. 

Jenna Ortega is equally outspoken, and other than a few writers in the industry, I dont see the same internet backlash for her as the other ladies you just mentioned (I don't remember Hathaway being in any controversy though).

Edited by Boxx93

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Did Hathaway even ever say anything.

Nope! She randomly became this huge lightning rod for people hating her, and I honestly can't think of a reason why besides her general "aura". At some point people will let up on Rachel and she'll get re-praised for West Side Story, etc etc and they'll find a new woman to hate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Brie Larson, Anne Hathaway, Rachel Zegler, etc etc. If a young woman speaks her mind, the internet turns them into a monster. 

Lots of young women musicians, celebrities etc .... say dumb shit on the internet and are fine.

Anne Hathaway??

Brei Larson is rare example of a kind that attracts such negativity.

Doubt Zegler will catch such flack, she will probably just endure it for this project.

Yeah we live in the era of cancel culture where just about anyone can catch flack for whatever shit they say even when it's so insignificant.

" This whole any young woman speaks her mind ... Monster " is just a random  generalisation based on a few  cherry picks.

11 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Lots of young women musicians, celebrities etc .... say dumb shit on the internet and are fine.

Anne Hathaway??

I get what both sides are saying here with Anne Hathaway.

She got a massive backlash and there was a couple of years where bashing on Anne Hathaway was cool.

However on the other side of that I'd say, that was arguably less a douchebag-talking-head-dudes-on-youtube thing and more of a mean girl, female-led Twitter thing. Where she was being positioned as 'insincere' and distanced compared to the 'relatable' new figure of Jennifer Lawrence (it was the Hunger Games /Twilight/YA crowd mostly responsible IIRC)

The only genuinely silly thing Anne Hathaway ever did was talk about "getting overweight" and "putting on padding" for her "fat self" in The Devil Wears Prada. Which was right at the tail end - indeed probably after - the worst excesses of the 90s/00s "any woman who isn't stick thin is fat" era and so she copped it a bit for being behind the times and anti-woman with that. But she never did anything worth getting flamed the way she was for a couple of years. 

54 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Jenna Ortega is equally outspoken, and other than a few writers in the industry, I dont see the same internet backlash for her as the other ladies you just mentioned (I don't remember Hathaway being in any controversy though).

A difference between Ortega and all the other ones is that Ortega doesn’t come across as a theater kid. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I get what both sides are saying here with Anne Hathaway.

She got a massive backlash and there was a couple of years where bashing on Anne Hathaway was cool.

However on the other side of that I'd say, that was arguably less a douchebag-talking-head-dudes-on-youtube thing and more of a mean girl, female-led Twitter thing. Where she was being positioned as 'insincere' and distanced compared to the 'relatable' new figure of Jennifer Lawrence (it was the Hunger Games /Twilight/YA crowd mostly responsible IIRC)

The only genuinely silly thing Anne Hathaway ever did was talk about "getting overweight" and "putting on padding" for her "fat self" in The Devil Wears Prada. Which was right at the tail end - indeed probably after - the worst excesses of the 90s/00s "any woman who isn't stick thin is fat" era and so she copped it a bit for being behind the times and anti-woman with that. But she never did anything worth getting flamed the way she was for a couple of years. 

Oh Ok then . Fair enough didn't know much about that then .my bad.

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

A difference between Ortega and all the other ones is that Ortega doesn’t come across as a theater kid. 

And I heard  she is was quite vocal on how   Wednesday character was to be adapted and if that's true and personally like that. To many actors just don't do that esp for adaptation works and we'll some phone it in and just run with whatever and have the same typical buzzwords for promotion and marketing campaign.

53 minutes ago, Redolent said:

I thought movie promotion was about sticking to the script and focusing on the key soundbites, not about being outspoken.

A lot of actors are hired specifically because of their public persona, which would include being outspoken.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

So now it's a crime  for a teen ager to have some sucess on the stage?

Thanks for proving my case about irrational hatred of Ziegler.

I heard a rumor....so take it for what it is worth...they are shooting alternate final scenes, one of which is Snow White and the Evil Queen going mano a mano in a big final fight scene. God, that sounds just horrible for this story.

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Weak sure, but being a theater kid = being kind of annoying. It’s insane you haven’t heard of this stereotype.

Of course I’ve heard it before, but with the exception of some former models or pop stars who transition to acting late in their careers, virtually every actor in Hollywood is a theater kid. 

I feel bad for her, but would be lying if I said what she has said didn't grate on me and ruin any prospect of me being excited for the movie. Despite the views of some here, I see this sticking for a while and I think Rachel has done a fair bit of harm to her career in the short term and to this movie. While I expect this all to die down in a month or so, it will ramp up again when the film releases. It's kind of unsellable.

According to Rachel:

-  the movie her movie is copying is no good;

-  the film, a remake of a romance, considers romance ancillary; and

-  her male lead could have all of his scenes cut from the film and it wouldn't matter.

How does she or the studio sell this movie now? Add to that the dwarf controversy.

She needs PR coaching and stat. She also had a huge clanger for Shazam 2 when asked why she wanted to be in it on the red carpet she replied with "I needed a job". Honest, but very hard to save and insulting to everyone else who worked on the film even if she tried to sell it as a joke.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Lmao holy crap man, touch some grass

*shrug*

Don't see anything controversial about saying that having actors dissing the movies they're in is bad for the movies and bad for their careers. The girl has been bullied off of social media. 

This movie faced an unfair uphill battle over race (the same TLM did), but now it has scored two very big own goals in the form its main star bashing the source material (the fans of which they want to see this one) and taking roles away from a very underrepresented minority in Hollywood.

Zegler's not the problem. Disney's PR team is the real issue here, cause every single dumb thing that came out of Rachel's mouth had to be approved by the PR team before she spoke out. Iger should fire them all and change the marketing strategy if they want to salvage this project.

Disagree with this. I think she gets nervous and says stupid things. See my Shazam example above. She lacks polish in these moments and searches for things to say, and says the wrong thing. The studios should be helping her more.

Edited by TheScarecrow