kayumanggi

SNOW WHITE | 03.21.2025 | Disney

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

Wut

Tried to figure out what that production tag was. Basically, it's just the Daily Wire's in house "kids entertainment content" brand.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/introducing-bentkey-a-new-adventure-in-kids-entertainment

The Daily Wire announced we would spend $100 million over three years to begin our own kids entertainment company [Bentkey]. Why the name Bentkey? Why not D.W. kids, as we’ve been calling the initiative for the last year? Well, put simply: D.W. Kids is just too political

If we treat "DailyWire+"/BentKey (Which I guess is a separate service?) as a niche/specialized streaming service  instead of as a political news website/ecosystem, then given total spending goals, this sounds like the announcement of a 5 budgeted movie as part of their big release date announcement.

This could totally be a 1990s "Fox Family" cable tv movie (unadjusted for inflation the more expensive side of their Christmas movies appear to be ~5M budgeted according to wikipedia Look at the budgets of mid 2000s freeform ABC Family original christmas films like Santa Baby or Snowglobe [stuff I could quickly find budgets for]). 

Because I'm bored I tried to figure out how much the daily wire spent on Gina Careno's Terror on the Prarie. The film was shot 100% in Montana and, based on tax credit data, there were 36 Independent films shot in Montana in 2020-2022 that spent a total of $18.8M in Montana (and the only significant indie mentioned was Father Stu which apparently had some pickups post-primary production shooting in the state). It's hard to see how they spent more than $5M on it and it was probably really 1-2M (what runfighthide [die hard in a school] cost).  There's 

https://www.montanafilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/MEDIA-Tax-Incentive-EIS-20220-8-02.pdf

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

"The film has had some test screenings and scored pretty well, with those in attendance telling us Zegler and Gadot are wonderful. It should be noted, the film is slated for a March 22, 2024 release, however, reshoots were ongoing prior to the SAG-AFTRA strike and were not 100% completed, so a release shift is highly likely."

http://thedisinsider.com/2023/10/18/all-the-disney-live-action-remakes-in-the-works/

Edited by crazymoviekid
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Because I'm bored I tried to figure out how much the daily wire spent on Gina Careno's Terror on the Prarie. The film was shot 100% in Montana and, based on tax credit data, there were 36 Independent films shot in Montana in 2020-2022 that spent a total of $18.8M in Montana (and the only significant indie mentioned was Father Stu which apparently had some pickups post-primary production shooting in the state). It's hard to see how they spent more than $5M on it and it was probably really 1-2M (what runfighthide [die hard in a school] cost).  There's 

https://www.montanafilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/MEDIA-Tax-Incentive-EIS-20220-8-02.pdf

Gina really went from making Disney blockbusters to making cheap westerns to a crowd who hates strong women, amazing.

• Like 1

Hope this does turn out good. I actually enjoyed the quirky take on the story in Mirror Mirror, so I think this is a fairy tale that can lend itself well to do something new and interesting with the story template. 

Gal scenery chewing still has loads of potential, hopefully that isn’t wasted. 

Edited by MovieMan89

18 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Gina really went from making Disney blockbusters to making cheap westerns

Not just cheapo westerns:  The fact that this is an in house Dailywire+ film means that it got 6 RT reviews instead of 50 (producer's random straight to VOD genre films before that getting ~50 critic reviews) or >100 (Zahler's VOD films for the producer). Gina Carano obviously should be making cheap westerns/action movies regardless of whether or not she's fired from Mando but this ended up completely removing her from thought/view if you're not in rw media ecosystem (it seems like "strong woman" carano created a RW media following prior to being fired). She's good at what she's good at and she's gone from someone who would do that for about a decade to completely vanishing because of how, seemingly, both Carano and Lucasfilm execs were very online twitter culture warriors  and because Carano leaned into politics as a response.  It's also funny that DW+ talks about reclaiming culture but their major move is to take niche little mainstream/quasi-mainstream conservative voices and move them behind a tiny explicitly political moat. The Bonefire Legends nee Rebeller label also sold itself as right wing coded "outlaw cinema" which just mixes like oil and water with a "moral majority" audience which ends up being a significant portion of dailywire's audience. "We're making a generic princess movie" doesn't seem to have those problems and gets easy earned media attention.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
trying to reduce size of comment given it's a tangent.

24 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

That feels too simplistic. It's not as if "strong women" don't get rhetorical support in right wing media along the vein of Sarah Palin's "Mama Grizzly" moniker. I mean, Carano apparently gained a right wing political following prior to getting fired from Mando. 

All I have to say about it is that once upon a time I’ve spent like 15 minutes looking at the IMDB reviews for this movie out of curiosity, and a good portion of them had some complaints about the feminism of having men being beaten by a woman or how it’s unrealistic to have someone like her existing in that setting. 

• Like 2

On 10/21/2023 at 2:57 AM, SpiderByte said:

Timing with the Marvels makes sense. Shocked this was not for the 100th if they're releasing it so soon anyways.

How is it "so soon"? We are at 5 months before the release date, a teaser should have been released already. Actually, every other  disney live action had a promotional image/still at roguhly 18 months/1 year before release and a teaser at 1 year/6 months before the relase date. This is way behind schedule, it is looking more and more likely that it will be pushed back to fall 2024 or later (unless they dump it in March with little to no promotion, which could very well be the case given that it looks like a huge bomb in the making).

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

18 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

How is it "so soon"? We are at 5 months before the release date, a teaser should have been released already. Actually, every other  disney live action had a promotional image/still at roguhly 18 months/1 year before release and a teaser at 1 year/6 months before the relase date. This is way behind schedule, it is looking more and more likely that it will be pushed back to fall 2024 or later (unless they dump it in March with little to no promotion, which could very well be the case given that it looks like a huge bomb in the making).

Did you only read the words "so soon" and not the words around it?

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Did you only read the words "so soon" and not the words around it?

No, I understood what you meant but the time is running out for this one and they can't afford wasting it any more. 7 days might seem like it's nothing but it's enough to polish/edit what will likely be a 30 to 45 seconds teaser. 

They were probably not ready for the disney 100 and used this extra week to finish it up in a rush, as they can't wait anymore. That is, if the release date remains in March....

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

They are probably overhauling it, that is the only reason I could see why they would delay it a whole entire year.

Maybe. Or they want at least 1 theatrical Live action remake per year and are not sure if Moana will make 2025.