kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

I haven't said this for months at risk of being labeled an MCU hating pretentious critic or whatever, but as someone who really liked Deadpool II and considered it one of the better superhero movies of the decade, I have thought the trailers for this were pretty awful. Visually hideous and none of the jokes really landed. Just one man's opinion, but put me down in the "wouldn't be surprised if reviews are bad - and totally legitimate" camp. I hope I'm wrong! I'm still going to see it just because FOMO and such.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

I’m really curious if this makes 1B worldwide. So far I could only find solid presales data from South Korea, which is usually one of the Top 3 OS markets for any MCU movie, and the presales there are apparently under GOTG3, MoM and Black Widow. Unless it has amazing WOM, it might make half of what MoM made there (and around the same as DP 2 or less).

Imagine all this meltdown when reviews drop, they are bad and still Pre Sales continue to move for next 2 days without hiccup.

Movie opens 200+ and gets a solid Score from audience because it is crowd pleasing and we then look back at this thread with some embarrassment and some laughter.

• Haha 1

Just now, James said:

I’m really curious if this makes 1B worldwide. So far I could only find solid presales data from South Korea, which is usually one of the Top 3 OS markets for any MCU movie, and the presales there are apparently under GOTG3, MoM and Black Widow. Unless it has amazing WOM, it might make half of what MoM made there (and around the same as DP 2 or less).

It's tracking towards a 450 million opening.

It'll have to pull off a BvS to miss billion with such opening.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

i do personally think cap 4 and Thunderbolts are fucked at the box office if this get's anything lower than a critics 70% on RT and a A or A+ on CS

Looking at early social media, I don't see how this movie gets above 40% for top critics...I'm not sure what the makeup of RT is for the rest of critics (aka how high fans could float this), but what you all posted here was kinda brutal for social media reactions for movies...

6 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

All this and we're still four hours out from the actual reviews. I'm not looking forward to what it'll actually be like when they drop.

gif.gif

35 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Eugh. Don't remind me. The way Marvel nerds describe it, the whole thing sounds like the most pandering fan service nonsense ever. Are Marvel fans really content with a movie that is nothing but "look, it's that actor you like being that character in that movie you saw as a kid?" Do they not feel manipulated? Do they like being manipulated?

Isn't that the entire point of manipulation?

3 minutes ago, James said:

Everything over 800M is great today 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

It's tracking towards a 450 million opening.

It'll have to pull off a BvS to miss billion with such opening.

I thought the official tracking is at 360m WW? I think it was published in this thread a few pages back. Where is the 450m figure coming from?

1 minute ago, James said:

I thought the official tracking is at 360m WW? I think it was published in this thread a few pages back. Where is the 450m figure coming from?

That's Deadline, they had Inside Out Opening at 85 million, Twisters and GxK opening at 45-50 million.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Hugh should have made Greatest Showman 2 instead. 

Jokes aside his a24 old man robin hood sounds fucking bad ass

50 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Marvel just needs to get the charli xcx brat endorsement. Look at Kamala Harris.

That Twisters apple dance tiktok doubled their opening

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I haven't said this for months at risk of being labeled an MCU hating pretentious critic or whatever, but as someone who really liked Deadpool II and considered it one of the better superhero movies of the decade, I have thought the trailers for this were pretty awful. Visually hideous and none of the jokes really landed. Just one man's opinion, but put me down in the "wouldn't be surprised if reviews are bad - and totally legitimate" camp. I hope I'm wrong! I'm still going to see it just because FOMO and such.

It does looks very bad, Shawn Levy is allergic to good blocking, nearly all the shots looks flat. 

Some of the jokes annoyed me a lot in the trailer as well, like the “Kevin Feige doesn’t let us talk about cocaine” while talking about cocaine. The whole critical aspect of the industry machine they joked a few times feels very cynical when we all know Ryan got everything he wanted.

I also found a big part of the promotional material with weird homophobic undertones, using the “relationship” as punchline in a very questionable way like the Beauty and the Beast esque-poster among many others small promo pieces. This feels more a marketing issue than a problem with the movie itself so i avoid saying it, but it’s weird. 

Still, i’m very interested in watching it because i do think we’re in a cultural moment for this genre where looking back could lead to great jokes, arcs and even critical thinking if they want. I’m not very confident it’ll do that, but i want to watch despite all the annoying things around it.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It does looks very bad, Shawn Levy is allergic to good blocking, nearly all the shots looks flat.

At least there are some practical explosions which is an achievement for post Endgame MCU productions.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

Wait people expected more than a fun action comedy with cameos? Lol also visual style? Like the first two were so visually dynamic . And this is coming from someone who dislikes Deadpool 1 and thinks 2 was decent 

Edited by John Marston

Just now, John Marston said:

Wait people expected more than a fun action comedy with cameos? Lol also visual style? Like the first two were so visually dynamic 

The trailers for this make Deadpool II look like it was directed by Terrence Malick.