75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

Doctor Strange

$14 million

$15.5 million

$9.5 million 

$39 million ($149 million 10-day)

Trolls

$11.5 million 

$12.5 million 

$8 million 

$32 million ($91 million 10-day) 

Arrival

$9 million

$8 million

$5 million 

$22 million OW 

Solid for Doctor Strange... it'll get to $205-225 million DOM. Trolls should finish with $150-160 million DOM since it's pacing slightly ahead of Megamind. Arrival could do $100-120 million DOM with Oscar buzz and great WOM. Hope to see Almost Christmas and Hacksaw Ridge doing well, too. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Renner's doing just fine even if Hawkeye is, and always will be probably, the Chris Kirkpatrick of the Avengers.

Renner has Mission Impossible as well so he do a film like Arrival in between franchise films,

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Renner has Mission Impossible as well so he do a film like Arrival in between franchise films,

Yeah, Renner is totally an integral part of Mission: Impossible. So integral, in fact, that I definitely didn't have to rack my memory to figure out whether he was in the most recent one.

That being said, he's a really solid actor who deserves whatever breaks he gets after Hollywood's failed post-Hurt Locker/Town attempt to make him an A-list star.

Just now, Webslinger said:

Yeah, Renner is totally an integral part of Mission: Impossible. So integral, in fact, that I definitely didn't have to rack my memory to figure out whether he was in the most recent one.

That being said, he's a really solid actor who deserves whatever breaks he gets after Hollywood's failed post-Hurt Locker/Town attempt to make him an A-list star.

To be fair, he did get paid more than either of American Hustle's leading ladies on that film despite having about as much screen time (if not less) as JLaw. One of the advantages of being a white dude in Hollywood, I suppose.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, he did get paid more than either of American Hustle's leading ladies on that film despite having about as much screen time (if not less) as JLaw. One of the advantages of being a white dude in Hollywood, I suppose.

No, it's a by product of being signed for the lead role then being dumped from it for Bale but already having signed a contract.

• Like 2

Unable to see Arrival this evening due to an 8 pm sellout (downtown Toronto). I was secretly pleased. I really hope whatever strategy the studio has with the theatre count gives us an insane PTA, a beautiful second weekend hold, and x5 multi. We shall see.

How gratifying is it that the fall movie season has now given us an Oscar-worthy hard sci-fi film for four years running? I would love it if that just becomes par for the course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Why did DS take a hit like that. It was well received by both critics and audiences. At least I'm sure audiences liked it. 

Because it's the... 14th? film in an ongoing franchise. Even if the cinematic universe model sidesteps some of the issues long franchises have with entrenched audiences becoming the only audience, it doesn't avoid all of them. People who don't have a big interest in MCU films aren't likely to be convinced to go see it even if it isn't a sequel.

Plus, it's possible some of the potential audience decided to sit it out because of the whitewashing issue. I know I have.