75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

6 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Its a good number but remember those previews will be inflated by the holiday tomorrow!

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Kinda reminds me of The Accountant. People expecting mid teens, will likely end up with mid 20's.

Thursday numbers might be slightly inflated however due to today being veterans/rememberance day. 

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

The last time Veterans Day fell on a Friday was in 2011 (and 2005 before that), both times the new openers decreased on Saturday and the holdovers increased about 10% on average. Going to be a weird weekend to model. Expect Deadline to provide completely misinformed weekend projections tonight.

all three of those posts may be true, but Friday should also be higher than most Friday's, as a holiday type situation, not as a 'frontloading' situation. (Seriously, Deadline?)  Sure, Saturday won't look as good next to Friday as it usually does -- because Friday will be better.

4 hours ago, Rallax said:

We're, uhhh, giving out American flag buttons...

Generally speaking, I do love this country, but this is the wrong week for someone to offer me an American flag button.  Maybe in the red states.

57 minutes ago, Alli said:

Arrival only 16M?  I don't get it. Why so low? The previews number was good enough

I haven't been doing this as long as most of you, but I've formed the opinion that whomever comes up with the numbers at Deadline does it on Thursday, and goes to the beach or somewhere unreachable, and the clericals left back in the office don't feel they have the authority to change them over the weekend, regardless of real time results.

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I don't really believe those numbers.

Hide contents

if they do happen I blame them on Trump :ph34r:

I don't think that is too far off.  I'm under the weather, and while I still plan to see Dr Strange, which I missed last week, I might not get to Arrival until next week.  It is only part maybe coming down with something.  This week has just knocked the wind out of me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Man I'm disappointed in these numbers. Good movies out right, and nobody is seeing anything. Hacksaw Ridge and Arrival are great films. Doctor strange(even though I didn't like it) also had good reviews. 

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Man I'm disappointed in these numbers. Good movies out right, and nobody is seeing anything. Hacksaw Ridge and Arrival are great films. Doctor strange(even though I didn't like it) also had good reviews. 

I wouldn't worry about the numbers just yet, they could go up. Right now it's just Deadline being Deadline.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Trump escapism kicking in. And by that I mean everyone in the U.S. is trying to escape the country. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I'm starting to get sick of the political posts on this forum. Please take it elsewhere.

Getting tired of reading it in every thread. This is a box office thread.

That wasn't even political, it was jest. Calm down. And politics can have an effect on the box office just fyi, because politics affect the economy which 100% affects the box office.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I'm starting to get sick of the political posts on this forum. Please take it elsewhere.

Getting tired of reading it in every thread. This is a box office thread.

The foul smell of this godawful dumpster fire of an election has affected everything. Get over it.

• Like 10

Yeah, Trolls is going to be a bonafide hit for DWA. They sure as hell needed it. I'm usually against the pimping of celebrity casts in animated films' marketing, but in Trolls' case they were so voracious about it I think it actually helped its gross a lot. 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Amy Adams' career didn't kick into high gear until 2006 but in the last 10 years she has built a really impressive, diverse filmography. 

Agree. Considering she is in her 40s, her career is doing very well combining prestige and commercial films. Arrival will no doubt further her career.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I thought that was a disappointment back in the day but nowadays, that's real solid for DWA

It did well, it just didn't hit it off overseas.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Megamind did worse OS though than Trolls is looking to do. Trolls prob heading for 400 ww on a 125m budget. 

Really doubt it does 400M, international gross is going quite slow and it's been released in all markets now, many of them for over 3 weeks.