75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

8 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya

60M seems awfully lowball to me.

He's probably trying to account for the HP die hards. Deathly Hallows 1's midnights counted for 19% of the weekend gross. if Beasts followed that path it would stall at $45M. $60M would be in between HP frontloadedness and regular frontloadedness.

• Like 1

Who'd have thought Marvel Studios foray into the magic with Strange would possibly resonate more with DOM audiences than spinoff to Potter, set in the same universe with Rowling as the story/screenwriter, David "Potter" Yates directing and Heyman still essentially as the show-runner. Could be very interesting to see which grosses more DOM.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Jesus Christ, and I thought that MJ2 was a flop last year. It actually may not even surpass Divergent's total despite having 3D, insane. 

lol this is nuts.  There is no way this misses 150.  Even if it opens to 'only' 70 there's no reason it would have a 2 multiplier over the holidays. Zero chance.  The number is lower than I wanted but we all need to calm down and see how this plays out.  If it truly does end up in the lower 60 range that's when we panic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Who'd have thought Marvel Studios foray into the magic with Strange would possibly resonate more with DOM audiences than spinoff to Potter, set in the same universe with Rowling as the story/screenwriter, David "Potter" Yates directing and Heyman still essentially as the show-runner. Could be very interesting to see which grosses more DOM.

DS has it beat. Don't think WOM for FB will be quite as strong. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This was never going to fully overcome the stigma of being a Harry Potter movie without Harry or any of the other popular characters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

lol this is nuts.  There is no way this misses 150.  Even if it opens to 'only' 70 there's no reason it would have a 2 multiplier over the holidays. Zero chance.  The number is lower than I wanted but we all need to calm down and see how this plays out.  If it truly does end up in the lower 60 range that's when we panic.

I'm thinking in $65m and a 2.4x multiple for now.