75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

22 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Well in fairness to the major holdovers - Strange and Trolls - this is their third weekend, so they had significantly diminished strength to begin with. 

On another note: Trolls has shown pretty strong legs. That might eat into Moana's opening in  a  few days. 

Moana has higher presales than Trolls at the same point in time. Your prediction is still laughable.

• Like 1

I've just watched FB again, and the second time was even better. Quite delicious experience. Acting was good, effects were cool, the plot was fine. there weren't tons of characters ( so it was easier to get it ).

The theaters were full this time. Word of mouth is truly quicking in, here in Brazil. The fact that you aren't required to watch the previous 10000 Harry Potter movies, is what's helping this movie. It has its own thing, its own universe.

I want to see more of these characters again, definitely. That's a good sign. I just think some people are being unfair, regarding this movie's performance. This movie is not what The Hobbit was to Lord of The Rings. I really think WB dropped their hands with The Hobbit movies. There was zero effort and it was clearly a way to cash in, by even putting some characters from lord of the Rings again.

Fantastic Beasts was entirely different, it tried to do something, it managed to be something. I really cared about the characters and their fates. Quite amazing movie. I'm glad it got good reviews and good word of mouth.

WB is having a good year. Suicide Squad overperformed, The Accountant is performing good and having great holds, FB got good reviews and obviously good word of mouth, BVS made some money too. Seriously people, let's not pretend that FB's numbers are a disaster. People shouldn't expect this movie to perform like a Harry potter movie, because this isn't even Harry Potter at all. It's doing good, stop trying to bury it. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I have to ask.

Did anyone outside the Marvel-fandom, expect Doctor Strange to open as high as $85M....and probably now leg it's way to $200M?

Some other people had it at $60-70M. Who had that prediction?

I predicted 86 M | 230 M.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I've just watched FB again, and the second time was even better. Quite delicious experience. Acting was good, effects were cool, the plot was fine. there weren't tons of characters ( so it was easier to get it ).

The theaters were full this time. Word of mouth is truly quicking in, here in Brazil. The fact that you aren't required to watch the previous 10000 Harry Potter movies, is what's helping this movie. It has its own thing, its own universe.

I want to see more of these characters again, definitely. That's a good sign. I just think some people are being unfair, regarding this movie's performance. This movie is not what The Hobbit was to Lord of The Rings. I really think WB dropped their hands with The Hobbit movies. There was zero effort and it was clearly a way to cash in, by even putting some characters from lord of the Rings again.

Fantastic Beasts was entirely different, it tried to do something, it managed to be something. I really cared about the characters and their fates. Quite amazing movie. I'm glad it got good reviews and good word of mouth.

WB is having a good year. Suicide Squad overperformed, The Accountant is performing good and having great holds, FB got good reviews and obviously good word of mouth, BVS made some money too. Seriously people, let's not pretend that FB's numbers are a disaster. People shouldn't expect this movie to perform like a Harry potter movie, because this isn't even Harry Potter at all. It's doing good, stop trying to bury it. 

Damn, that's great you loved it so! I quite loved it myself, I'm going back tonight with a couple of friends, I hope to see the theater fuller this time around as well, last night it was was about 80% full, the couple of rows of front seats were empty.

People really loved it as well, there was huge laughter throughout the whole movie and plenty of people crying with the ending, it really was an amazing experience, I can't wait to repeat it!

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't expect only mind-blowing experiences, that would be idiotic. But I do ask that a movie I watch be at least accomplished in some memorable way, give me something positive to chew on after it's over. It doesn't have to be perfect, or especially complex (sometimes it's as simple as, say, freaking Ouija 2 actually having solid acting and writing and production values), but I'm not gonna consistently watch movies and embrace that the people involved do a 6/10 job on them. Sure I'm entertained by forgettable fluff every now and then, and I don't judge anyone who prefers it to more challenging movies (as long as they aren't obnoxious/snobby about it) but it shouldn't be the standard. That's no way for any medium to move forward. And today it's becoming more of a problem that these forgettable movies also tend to be the ones that have the biggest amount of money spent on them and are the most aggressively pushed. 

The impression a few here gave to me - for to the extent to seemingly 'only' - wasn't caused by you. I agree to your POV mostly, but the aggressive advertising. I hate that they have to do it, but to me it seems they actually have to do it. I think it was a mistake then to start with that, but see competition for the movies (so many possibilities to spend money on entrainment/sports related) it seems to be difficult to get through all the 'loud', bright,.. talking shows (incl some of  the news), advertising, how many TV stations? Gaming,...

But in the past it was the same, the most films then were too forgettable.

In the past they e.g. forced people to be couples / lifestyle hiding worse / for the press, glitz, was also bad, and so on, ads in papers/magazines/radio/TV too, but in another way/spread pattern/style....

I often get the idea here are members feeling a bit too superior in general and especially about GA's wish for pop-corn films too = general impression, not meant about you.

And those forgetting the GA is, what still keeps cinema alive, not the 'small' (sometimes even big) film audience, no matter how good the film. And some are a bit too critical, too focused on flws that are sometimes seemingly only counting as a very small part of the film.... too high expectations, like only perfect counts. IMHO there is no perfect film and never will be.

I am not sure if I find the words really expressing what I mean, so I stop now.

• Like 3