75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

1 minute ago, water said:

rey is literally nothing like luke. they start on a desert planet and use the force by the end, that's it. that's kind of going to happen in a star wars movie. but she's basically the opposite of him as a person (i'm gonna say that was the point). meanwhile finn is a stormtrooper who defects, which has obviously not been done before in the movies. this leads to a character arc and context for this universe that has also never been done, and a great one at that

Agree

Luke: naiv, dreamy, a 'child' (family, not self-employed,...), not used to confrontation,... looses what made him till then.

Rey ( in a way): opposite, opposite, opposite (opposite, opposite), opposite,... She looses a bit of her belongings, brings with her ~ survival (nature and tricks,...) training

And that is only about their origin = start out of IMHO very differing places, characters, POV on life and so on.

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Oh, you guys don't like being insulted publicly?  Imagine that, isn't it funny how that works?

It doesn't really have anything to do with what I like or dislike. Personally, I don't care what you call me -- though, fair warning, it's against the terms & policies of the site to attack or go after a staff member. But honestly, do you just go around with this attitude to every admin or authority figure you come across?

11 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Next time PM me if you have a problem with something I posted.  Show a little respect my way and I will show the same back as I always have.  

You're the one inferring disrespect from my polite request. Your follow-up comments -- basically a "I didn't start it!" defense, combined with a "do your job right!" pushback -- don't help your argument at all. I understand you disagree with how the situation was handled. Fair enough, your disagreement is noted.

Just now, terrestrial said:

Agree

Luke: naiv, dreamy, a 'child' (family, not self-employed,...), not used to confrontation,... looses what made him till then.

Rey ( in a way): opposite, opposite, opposite (opposite, opposite), opposite,... She looses a bit of her belongings, brings with her ~ survival (nature and tricks,...) training

And that is only about their origin = start out of IMHO very differing places, characters, POV on life and so on.

Rey is the definition of naïve, gurl had no idea what trees were and thinks her parents are "coming back". lol.

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Rey = The Next Darth Vader for the next trilogy :jeb!:

no because the prequel trilogy represents the fall of the jedi when the chosen one falls to the dark side. the sequel trilogy represents the rise of the jedi when the new chosen one finds balance between light and dark. the original trilogy was a family-focused story about the child of a chosen one who is burdened with the fate of the galaxy despite not being a chosen one himself. this is why luke is different from anakin and rey, why his new jedi failed before tfa even began, etc

2 minutes ago, water said:

i'm making a spreadsheet comparing TPM, ANH, and TFA as we speak. but quickly i can tell you that a big difference is the fact that the climax of anh is the main character destroying the death star, while the climax of tfa is the main characters in a lightsaber fight. this is exactly what i was talking about: if you ignore rey and finn it's the same as anh. if you actually focus on them it's not

Except when Rey and Finn have an almost identical interaction as Luke and Han in which Rey/Luke are disappointed that Finn/Han leave the Resistance/Rebellion out of self preservation but they come back to the rescue. I mean, if you really think TFA isn't at the very least an overly familiar homage...

3 minutes ago, water said:

i'm making a spreadsheet comparing TPM, ANH, and TFA as we speak. but quickly i can tell you that a big difference is the fact that the climax of anh is the main character destroying the death star, while the climax of tfa is the main characters in a lightsaber fight. this is exactly what i was talking about: if you ignore rey and finn it's the same as anh. if you actually focus on them it's not

You keep stating these things as if your interpretation of the movie is somehow The Sole Legitimate Truth, when in fact it's just your opinion. It doesn't matter how many spreadsheets you make.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, water said:

no because the prequel trilogy represents the fall of the jedi when the chosen one falls to the dark side. the sequel trilogy represents the rise of the jedi when the new chosen one finds balance between light and dark. the original trilogy was a family-focused story about the child of a chosen one who is burdened with the fate of the galaxy despite not being a chosen one himself. this is why luke is different from anakin and rey, why his new jedi failed before tfa even began, etc

I was obviously joking ;) I agree ;)

2 minutes ago, water said:

rey ain't a chosen one either. she's either just related to the skywalker line or just a random newb. JJ has said he doesn't like the idea of that and wants the force to be accessible and not like some jesus power.

I don't quite understand the freakout. I thought realistic expectations for this were going to be around this range and I don't think $100mil was a serious consideration this time of the year.

People should have learned about extrapolating future successes of reboots/expansions at the very least from having Batman in BvS earlier this year. Just because a character/franchise experienced a level of past success doesn't immediately mean the same character/franchise in a reboot/spinoff is going to continue where it left off. The reason the Nolan movies cracked a $1bil is because of Nolan/Bale/Ledger, not because it's Batman.

And this is a Harry Potter spinoff without Harry Potter, so expectations should have been on the more muted side. Comparisons for this to Strange are also asenine. This is a spinoff to a franchise not featuring it's stars and has been dormant for 5 years. The other is Episode 14 of a franchise that's been going on consistently for the past 8 years. They have nothing in common other than the fact they both feature magic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moviesRus said:

Rey is the definition of naïve, gurl had no idea what trees were and thinks her parents are "coming back". lol.

haha, good one, point 2: I think she might (parents? Teachers? Others?) started out hoping so years back, but she knows about how how to reach her goals, decides for herself, recognises ... bad business people and so on. You'll get the drift.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

You keep stating these things as if your interpretation of the movie is somehow The Sole Legitimate Truth, when in fact it's just your opinion. It doesn't matter how many spreadsheets you make.

how is it my interpretation? main character of anh: luke. luke in the finale: death star. main character of tfa: rey: rey in the finale: lightsaber fight.