75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Just now, EmpireCity said:

@Nutella of Arabia

I wasn't "abrasive first" if you even bothered to read the thread.  This is what @GiantCALBears posted and I posted absolutely nothing in this thread to engage him.  

Again, you didn't even bother to read the thread and don't call me out publicly if you have no clue what you are talking about.  Fell free to PM me next time if you aren't going to get it right.  

You're welcome to PM me if you want to discuss it further. That's really minor, man -- I don't consider that any sort of abrasive comment, actual slur or attack on you. You're not really helping your argument by accusing me of not reading the thread or not having a clue either.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

I can't think of one major theme or plot point of TFA that connects to TPM more immediately or more directly than ANH. It doesn't really have anything to do with my like or dislike of either.

i'll make a spreadsheet ^_^

3 minutes ago, water said:

another thing about tfa is that rey and finn are completely different from anything ever before in the franchise. if you think tfa was a re-tread you just weren't paying attention to them, because of... whatever reasons cough cough

Despite loving both characters, I completely disagree with you here, and I don't appreciate what I think you're insinuating.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I thought about this just after it ended.... And, I prefer the route FB took to the stale, dull route TFA took. But, I didn't love either but for different reasons.

I still think Star Wars has plenty of time to explore new territory.

But the first and most important objective is to win over the huge fanbase.

That requires lots of juicy "member berries" for the first few films.

Especially after Lucas somehow made the original trilogy less appealing with the prequels.

• Like 1

RT for FB recoverd a bit

audience is at 88% 4.3/5, but the audiece count is off so early in release

And for thhe members living nearby

Don't miss our FREE screening of Italy's Oscar entry - Monday November 21 at 7:30pm @ The Landmark RSVP:

And... what else to post to distract people long enough to calm down again? ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I really, really hope they go back to that 3 movie plan. Win, win for me, man.

It'll still hit $200M DOM. This will have similar ticket sales to WB's Sherlock Holmes with RDJ and Jude Law. Nothing wrong with that. Oh, and it'll do very well OS.

Yes, but this is a different beast from SH. I'm sure WB was expecting it to make more money.

I think we, like Hermione in DH1, have to remember perspective.  IF this can still open around 75 million it comes it right at where tracking had it.  I think some of us wanted this to touch Potter OW numbers and that may be have been out of touch.  A 75 OW, and 200+ would, IMO, be enough to keep the series on track for 5 films.  WB is in desperate enough shape in terms of franchises (with DC response being mild) to want to have another 600-700 WW grosser per year.   Also, if the sequels can do more to tie in Hogwarts/Dumbledore it might peak more interest for the Potterheads.  I know at least 4 friends who love the series and havent seen this yet (and arent seeing it OW).  The rush just isn't there and if they can do more to tie it back in with the original characters and settings maybe some of the later entries can get a bump.  Again just my thoughts but I think their relationship with JK is important (especially with a potential Cursed Child series) and reviews are good enough that even if this comes in on the lower end of expectations they'll be happy.  

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Um why wouldn't this be frontloaded? Why would anyone except die hard Potter fans be interested in this?

Agreed, I'm not a Potter fan; I only went to see it because my college offered $3 tickets. Marketing could be a lot better in appealing to casuals (cut the blatant HP theme for one thing).

5 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

Despite loving both characters, I completely disagree with you here, and I don't appreciate what I think you're insinuating.

if you love finn and rey i'm sure you have nothing to worry about. i'm talking about people who completely don't care about their existence when it's THE main thread of tfa, and that thread is completely different from anh. so if they say tfa is exactly like anh that tells me they don't consider finn and rey a big part of tfa

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yes, but this is a different beast from SH. I'm sure WB was expecting it to make more money.

I think they'll be disappointed with domestic but as long as overseas holds up then it'll be fine. Potter was more of a OS beast especially in its native U.K. And it's seems to doing very well in the U.K.