75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The next 4 films will drop bigly though. This first film needed to be a knockout hit.

But what do you define knockout hit as?  300?  Because VERY few people here predicted that (if anyone predicted it at all).  That's my point, to WB, I'm not sure there's a massive difference in 215-225 domestic or 250-275 domestic.  Not in the grand scheme of things.  If International numbers put up I think this will be around where they thought, even if it's on the lower end.  But for them lower end is still a hit.  And we have no clue what to expect in terms of future reception.  WOM seems to be quite good so it could be a consistent performer that stays relatively flat.  Everyone seems to be eager to compare this in terms of the Potter franchise and how it wont reach it's heights, then lets compare it in terms of stability and consistency (which the Potter films ALWAYS were).  Maybe we'll see that here where numbers don't vary much from film to film.  We simply don't know and until we're at a point where have a base idea of where this will land for the weekend I think people need to step back.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Here you go @Nutella of Arabia

Like I said, next time try a little harder to read the thread and understand before you call someone out publicly.  

Even if giantcalbears insulted you, your mother, and your God, that doesn't make it okay for you to insult him. If you think he's crossed a line and mods need to step in, please report the post.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

And Rogue One will remind Americans that the good guys die. Happy Holidays! 

I wish I could believe that.  But I get the feeling that Disney won't let these new heroes they have created die at the end of the movie.

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Even if giantcalbears insulted you, your mother, and your God, that doesn't make it okay for you to insult him. If you think he's crossed a line and mods need to step in, please report the post.

Or you guys could actually do your job correctly for once in a big weekend thread, but that might be asking too much.  

8 minutes ago, water said:

if you love finn and rey i'm sure you have nothing to worry about. i'm talking about people who completely don't care about their existence when it's THE main thread of tfa, and that thread is completely different from anh. so if they say tfa is exactly like anh that tells me they don't consider finn and rey a big part of tfa

Um..... no? :lol: I don't really get your logic here. While there are some variations, Rey very much follows Luke's general path. This is a good thing -- rooted in classic mythology, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Finn, while being his own character, also has a lot of similarities as a composite of Luke and Han (from ANH). Again, nothing wrong with this at all, in fact, it's what good sequels do: give new characters their own context while calling back to many of the characteristics that people loved about the original characters.

• Like 11

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

But what do you define knockout hit as?  300?  Because VERY few people her predicted that.  That's my point, to WB, I'm not sure there's a massive difference in 215-225 domestic or 25-275 domestic.  Not in the grand scheme of things.  If International numbers put up I think this will be around where they thought, even if it's on the lower end.  But for them lower end is still a hit.  And we have no clue what to expect in terms of future reception.  WOM seems to be quite good so it could be a consistent performer that stays relatively flat.  Everyone wants to compare this in terms of the Potter franchise and how it wont reach it's heights, then less compare it in terms of stability and consistency (which the Potter films ALWAYS were).  Maybe we'll see that here where numbers don't very much from film to film.  We simply don't know and until we're at a point where have a base idea of where this will land for the weekend I think people need to step back.

This is not a Harry Potter film. This is a Fantastic Beasts film. We don't know how stable this series is yet but frankly the reception to this event among the hardcore hasn't been what it needed to be for me to be confident about stability.

People seem to think that just because it's set in the same universe, it'll follow the same rules as the main series. Nope. Same universe, different franchises.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Chillax, dude. This just had little appeal to those who weren't already enamored with Harry Potter. Plus, it's still early.

Don't know why you're telling me chillax; I'm not even that mad about this lol. I've never been a Harry Potter fan; I'm just shocked this possibly opening lower than 75M

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

This is not a Harry Potter film. This is a Fantastic Beasts film. We don't know how stable this series is yet but frankly the reception to this event among the hardcore hasn't been what it needed to be for me to be confident about stability.

People seem to think that just because it's set in the same universe, it'll follow the same rules as the main series. Nope. Same universe, different franchises.

WB I like your opinions, whats your current feeling on RO? Curious...