75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

21 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Debating between Hacksaw and Edge of 17. Would rather see Hacksaw but showtime for E17 is easier to make... 

Neither should be leaving theaters soon because of early December's drought so go with Seventeen

Hopefully FB can stay above $75m with actuals. 59 percent drop for DS was expected (I actually feared it would drop even more). I never believed it could crack 250m, but it obviously doesn't need to as it's already a big success. The other new releases bombed, also not really a surprise there.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

I can imagine the early December drought will force something like Focus Features giving Nocturnal Animals a fairly wide push. It's gonna bomb big time if they do, though.

They have announced a wide release on December 9 I think.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Really? I wouldn't be surprised if they moved it up a week as theaters will be eager to ditch things like Billy Lynn and Bleed for This as quickly as possible.

It wouldn't surprise me either. Incarnate might also have more theaters than originally expected. Lots of movies ready to lose screens on that weekend.

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can imagine the early December drought will force something like Focus Features giving Nocturnal Animals a fairly wide push. It's gonna bomb big time if they do, though.

Out of curiosity, Why wont it be popular? No spoilers.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

If they want to release Nocturnal Animals wide they have to do it as soon as possible. Can't afford to wait with that PTA.

It is expanding to 200 theaters this Wednesday I think. 

27 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That sunday estimate for FB is way too optimistic. DH1 dropped 34.3% in 2010. FB is not big enough to have spillover business either.

On the other hand is has recovered slightly from the mediocre previews it had. It looked like sub 70m at that point.

Slightly? It was a big recovery. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Treecraft said:

Why are you continuing to harass me about my opinions? I haven't said anything bad about Fantastic Beasts, I'm not going to watch it and I'm pleased that there are people who are enjoying it. All I said was that it's not for me. Just stop.

In case you mean me (was under my post pointing out 'it can', not sure if that is 'harass') = I will not watch it neither, was never into HP, I am only into BO details in that case. It's not about your POV, it's about how you voice your POV.

Watched FB. Enjoyed it and I am not a huge HP fan. I like that the movie is standalone enough that you don't need to know Potter to get it, and that it doesn't blatantly sequel bait. IMAX 3D with the effects coming out of the box were well done.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

But it seemed appealing :(

It's so hard to predict what will appeal to the most people. Studios spend huge sums of money on movies that they are assure will be so appealing to the majority of people. Yet, those blockbusters fail as much as they succeed. And these are from studio heads whose job it is to make appealing movies. That's what makes box office fun to follow, but it can also make it very frustrating. Sometimes you see a movie that is just amazing, and it fails at the box office because lots of people didn't feel the same way.