CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

First Dune Remake Footage Earns Big Praise, Gets Compared to Lord of the Rings

I'm not exaggerating when I say a lot of people will have goosebumps/tears when they see this movie (I might!). Heck, when they see the footage I saw they will. As a follow-up re my opinion on new Dune based only on the footage I saw (since people are curious), I think this will blow people away the way LOTR did 20 years ago, the way Star Wars did 40 years ago. It's not Jodorowsky or Lynch, but maybe Villeneuve has filmed the unfilmable

Reading this, i get flashbacks to when first reactions came out to the Moria footage they screened to industry insiders back in 2001. Ah, good old times... :)

Could this be the next big thing? Yes, pleeeeaase! :D

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 5
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Reading this, i get flashbacks to when first reactions came out to the Moria footage they screened to industry insiders back in 2001. Ah, good old times... :)

Only thing that gives me pause is Villeneuve. No doubt he makes great movies, but his films aren't exactly accessible blockbusters to the GA. I know Dune is a heavy/complex source material, but for this to catch on like LOTR, it has to be something the GA can enjoy. I liked BR2049, but I can understand why non-fanboys would have either disliked it or it simply didn't resonate with audiences. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Since I’ve never read any of the Dune novels, I can’t make any judgements about whether or not there’s potential for this movie to break out like LotR did. Do the novels lend themselves well to an “epic” December blockbuster? 

as a big fan of the first book and someone who tolerates the next 2 (didn't go beyond Children of Dune though people recomment God Emperor of Dune, the fourth one),  it's definitely epic. However, the book style and themes are not nearly as accessible as LOTR. But in the hands of the right film-maker...

They did right to film 2 movies instead of one for so much goings on and so many characters. So that's a big plus already.

Edited by Valonqar

There is nothing polite or nice or cute about the Dune story & its characters.

Villeneuve throws up when he hears the f word.

Making this movie a pleasing experience for GA is going to need some serious divine intervention.

It is my most anticipated movie of the year.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

This might be the first out of body experience since LOTR.  Fury Road and 2049 were amazeballs no doubt, but this will be like watching the prologue in FOTR for the first time all over again and even Futurist will be there stanning Dune and fellow Frenchie Villeneuve or whatever his name is.

First impressions are nearly always ecstatic. I have faith in Denis though. It's going to be both epic and well made. I love everything he's done. Plus, Hans Zimmer is composing. Score (pun intended)!  

My concern, and I've voiced this before, is whether the IP will resonate with general audiences. If it does appeal then it also helps that the 18th, Christmas and New Years Day fall on Fridays.

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

yes, that is true. first impressions are nearly always exstatic especially if they were shown amazing visuals without the context. that doesn't say whether the movie is boring or exciting, whether characters resonate or not. 

Loving something is one thing, saying "it will have an impact like LOTR or SW" is on another level. That said, it is one person, maybe he's off track.

51 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it's easy to say something will have that impact when, you know, the book had it already. SW is largely inspired by it, for example. 

Dunno what your point is. If LOTR looked like shit, nobody would have cared, book or no book.

• Thanks 1

whether something looks great isn't the only reason for success. Didn't geeks cream all over BR2049 trailer visuals but GA was left cold? 

I have no doubt that Dune will look amazing and there are resonant characters as well. I'm just saying that we've gone through early overhype due to 2 min or so of footage before. reminder that CinemaCon was praising Nutcracker footage/trailer and expected big things from it. 

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

whether something looks great isn't the only reason for success. Didn't geeks cream all over BR2049 trailer visuals but GA was left cold? 

True, Tree of Life and Malick/Paul Thomas Anderson work in general look amazing, it seem it help a lot (Gravity/Revenant/Dunkirk) but you need something to go with it.

It is saying a bit of the same (and going into you need more than looking great), but it would not surprise me if the appeal of the visuals was quite mainstream, it is the 8.188x OW/thursday preview multiplier from what I imagine terrible WOM among a good part of the audience once they saw it that really what hurted it.

It had a better start than the best comparable that I can think of: Fury Road after all.

I believe that Dune can be adapted to appeal to GA despite 2 adaptations (movie and mini) not being good. Splitting the movie in 2 is a good start for the story needs room to breathe and it has a time jump over halfway through (with Paul being a different person than what he was before the time jump). 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

. Splitting the movie in 2 is a good start

I feel that the casting as well, production can do signaling to audience with it, and having Bautista/Momoa/Zendaya/Brolin can send a message do not worry this is not an art film, it is a legitimate blockbuster affair to segment of the population (while having Bardem/Chamalet/Rampling type and Villeneuve directing has an other population have no worry has well), the AI working for distributor seem to be working well.