James

Monday: FB 6.76m, Trolls 2m, DS 1.96m (DHD)

2 hours ago, James said:

The Tue number will be bigger than both. BO has changed in the last 2 years.

And Wednesday increase will be softer. In the end, it's mostly assured FB will be in the 109-110M range before 2nd weekend. +150M for 10 day

Standalone film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — one of the biggest box-office curiosities of the year — is projected to open to $130 million-plus in North America over the Dec. 16-18 weekend, which would mark the second-biggest December opening of all time after last year's Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The movie came on tracking Tuesday morning, with some services suggesting it could even approach $150 million.

The pre-Christmas corridor isn't known for huge openings, since consumers are distracted by holiday preparations. Prior to Force Awakens, no December film had ever launched north of $85 million, and that includes Avatar.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-tracking-huge-130m-us-debut-949896?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

Fantastic Beasts, Moana, and Doctor Strange may be the only movies this year to be in the 200 million area domestic, unless Passengers and Sings both go crazy and hit 200 million also.

I think Sing is doing $300M+.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

Fantastic Beasts, Moana, and Doctor Strange may be the only movies this year to be in the 200 million area domestic, unless Passengers and Sings both go crazy and hit 200 million also.

If Sing underperforms, you mean. :ph34r:

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Sing looks like a hard pass from me. I'd say it's a kids movie but that's not true as many kids movies have sprinkled elements adults will/can enjoy.

The whole premise just isn't appealing to me but maybe the masses will eat it up. 

Didn't people say that about The Secret Life of Pets?

• Like 1

^^^^

I don't know, did they?

I recall something to the effect of, "It's got limited appeal due to not everyone being pet people", or something like that.

I'm just not a fan of the reality tv singing show(which I know the masses eat up) so maybe singing animals will light up the box office. 

Good hold. Like I said in the weekend thread, I really don't think FB is going to be front loaded. It's a HP spinoff but tangentially connected, contains none of the main characters and has no large connection to the main book series. It's simply not built as something HP fans will absolutely have to see first day/week but is set up as something that should pull in enough casual interest that should bode well for a solid run. It'll do well overall.

• Like 2

I expected it to have a better hold than most Harry Potter films being much less family audiences turning up. Likely to have weaker weekend increases but still I think a solid number.

Edited by eXtacy