FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

Sam Mendes, DreamWorks Drop Gay Talese ‘Voyeur’s Motel’ Movie After Being Blindsided By Documentary

If is any good, it needs to get to that August 4th date that just ditched pronto...

Just now, UrosepsisFace said:

Lots of chatter of wanting to see it again. You can really appreciate portions of the movie that capture the essence of what it feels like in Hawaii, like the feeling of cool fresh water from a waterfall or sea-salt in the air as you stand on a boat above clear waters. The Rock nails Hawaiian cheers of joy, and that's to be expected considering he was originally from here. Btw, expect the Japanese to LOVE this movie. They've always had close ties to Hawaii, and my theater had quite a few tourists.

Yeah, I'm hoping for a Frozen style of breakout in Japan. Then again, they didn't totally go for BH6 despite the Japanese ties. But that could be because they're far more accustomed and interested in female leads when it comes to the medium. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Hey, I'm sure you're not the only member who did that. A lot of members were fairly skeptical about Moana breaking out. 

The Good Dinosaur was a troubled production so it was either going to be really successful or as it did flop badly. The Thanksgiving slot can either be really good as we've seen with Frozen, Tangled and now Moana or it can be really bad as evident with TGD, Penguins of Madagascar and Rise of the Guardians. 

I would say the first weekend of November is a better slot for animated films even though it's had its fair share of flops

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I honestly think 2016 could stand the test of time as the greatest year in animated feature film history. 

I agree!  The amount of quality, germane, and thought provoking and enchanting animated features this year has been insane!  The studios came in ready to go ballistic, played the stage like pros, and are hopefully going out with a big bang!  From Kung-Fu Panda 3 all the way to Moana and hopefully Sing, 2016 has been a historic year for animation not only in terms of box office revenue, but quality wise as well. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Lots of chatter of wanting to see it again. You can really appreciate portions of the movie that capture the essence of what it feels like in Hawaii, like the feeling of cool fresh water from a waterfall or sea-salt in the air as you stand on a boat above clear waters. The Rock nails Hawaiian cheers of joy, and that's to be expected considering he was originally from here. Btw, expect the Japanese to LOVE this movie. They've always had close ties to Hawaii, and my theater had quite a few tourists.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I'm hoping for a Frozen style of breakout in Japan. Then again, they didn't totally go for BH6 despite the Japanese ties. But that could be because they're far more accustomed and interested in female leads when it comes to the medium. 

This, I expect it to do BIGLY in Japan. They will eat it up. A quality Disney musical with a female lead set in an exotic setting which they really dig that also has a slight Ghibli-ish aesthetic and theme..

just can't fail.

• Like 1

Just now, CelestialFairyIX said:

I agree!  The amount of quality, germane, and thought provoking and enchanting animated features this year has been insane!  The studios came in ready to go ballistic, played the stage like pros, and are hopefully going out with a big bang!  From Kung-Fu Panda 3 all the way to Moana and hopefully Sing, 2016 has been a historic year for animation not only in terms of box office revenue, but quality wise as well. 

The Red Turtle and Your Name are also supposed to be highly exceptional.

• Like 1

Just now, CelestialFairyIX said:

Even the not so successful films like Storks and Kubo were good. I really want to see Your Name because I've read rave reviews about it.

1 minute ago, yjs said:

This, I expect it to do BIGLY in Japan. They will eat it up. A quality Disney musical with a female lead set in an exotic setting which they really dig that also has a slight Ghibli-ish aesthetic and theme..

just can't fail.

The Japanese also really love Harry Potter and monster/beasts ala Pokemon, so I'm glad they've got the two franchises spaced apart there. Both movies should flourish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

Also, any of Moana's success now is credit to the movie.  None of that, "Well there was no competition, and a family movie HAS to do well over the Holiday's" that I saw for Frozen throughout its run.

That's still not what I nor I'm sure anyone else meant with Frozen. Only that it wouldn't have had that crazy of legs without having zero competition. It's just simple box office logic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Good Dinosaur was a troubled production so it was either going to be really successful or as it did flop badly. The Thanksgiving slot can either be really good as we've seen with Frozen, Tangled and now Moana or it can be really bad as evident with TGD, Penguins of Madagascar and Rise of the Guardians. 

I would say the first weekend of November is a better slot for animated films even though it's had its fair share of flops

Hmmm.

Looks like the princess movies break out and the male centric stuff flops.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's still not what I nor I'm sure anyone else meant with Frozen. Only that it wouldn't have had that crazy of legs without having zero competition. It's just simple box office logic. 

Frozen had crazy legs because people were obsessed with Frozen and Let it Go.  No competition was negligible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

Frozen had crazy legs because people were obsessed with Frozen and Let it Go.  No competition was negligible.

Still disagree. Give it a Star Wars movie and Illumination release within its first month and knock a solid 50m off the gross at least (still making it a huge hit with great WOM). 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I couldn't understand why the good dinosaur flop.....even until now

Im still going by the opinion that TFA sucked the hype out of everything once the pre-sales started.  Nothing broke out since then until TFA was released.

All of the supposed big hitters like Spectre, Mockingjay Part 2, The Good Dinosaur, and Peanuts did less than people thought they would. It's especially explainable with Dino because it got glanced over when it comes to Disney's marketing machine.

Probably wasn't the only reason, but at that point in time everybody was hyped for Star Wars and only Star Wars and they didn't really talk about the other movies coming out.

• Like 2