FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

FB just keeps exceeding expectations. 18.9m. What a beautiful week it has had. 

And lol at people panicking about Moana. It's having the 2nd biggest 5-day thanksgiving opening of all time. 

wellllp not that big of a feat if you think about it when Tangled's the 4th biggest and TGD's the 5th.

but then again, we did get too greedy by that unexpected previews number

19 minutes ago, yjs said:

maybe we could find out by watching how it performs in the southern hemisphere

Just checked Frozen's performance real quick, just in the English-speaking countries for now. Will be interesting to do a northern hemisphere vs. southern hemisphere analysis comparing Frozen and Moana at the end of its run.

Figures in US$ millions, to normalize the grosses, I calculated a percentage of the gross box office (I used 2014, but 2013 wouldn't have made much difference):

Market Total % GBO
Domestic $400.7 3.9%
United Kingdom $64.7 3.7%
Australia $26.7 2.8%
New Zealand $4.4 2.9%

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Bad Santa 2  (BG/MX), 2,900 Theaters / $1.58M Wed. (includes $330k previews)/$1.3M Thurs (-16%)/$2.1M Fri/ 3-day cume: $5.6M /5-day: $8.2M/Wk 1

Too low for Bad Santa 2.  I would not recommend using this # for estimates.

Youre good at holiday time. just like last xmas when we got started

Derby

1   Matrix4You 93.94
2   TalismanRing 93.26
3   Bates 93.17
4   Exxdee 92.75
5   Simionski 92.11
6   POTUS 91.67
7   boxofficeth 90.52
8   Jason 90.28
9   Ash Skywalker 89.72
10   8wombi7 89.66
11   Fancyarcher 89.65
12   Rolling Thunder 88.38
13   PanaMovie 88.14
14   moviecriticguy 88.1
15   JMorphin 87.89
16   cannastop 87.53
17   darkelf 87.05
18   Tower 85.96
19   Wildbill 85.7
20   Padre 85.61

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ttr said:

Ok, I assume you have been following BO longer than I have. I stand corrected.

Sorry if it came off smug, wasn't trying to. Just meant that movies with a christmas and winter themes in particular have always been released during the holiday because they just feel out of place other times of year. Then again, you have places like Cali where it's basically summer all year long so maybe to them it's a non-factor. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

I think it's pretty irrefutable that Beasts' great hold has eaten into a small bite of what Moana would have done. 

Word of mouth has escalated through the week and families who perhaps didn't check out FB last weekend have gone this weekend. They'll still see Moana too, which I'm expecting will hold well, into late January. 

Fantastic Beasts may very well end up dropping less than 40% second weeked..That's insane! 750m is already locked...If  Chinese/Japanese numbers were a tad better I would have been calling 800m...Now it will a little more difficult but still doable.

That's a preety solid start for a whole new franchise and I can see this growing even more in the next movies..I am so glad that JK made something completely new instead of taking Harry Ron and Hermoine back again and again. All in all, although not as goog as Potter at its peak, FB is a movie that you cannot dislike. Such an enjoyable film full of action and humour.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 1