FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

Just now, robertman2 said:

Reviewers who have no big movies to critique?

Well, having drifted away from the original topic, now we're drifting even further away (into one of my pet peeves). :lol: Which is basically movie bloggers "reviewing" a trailer (which basically amounts to them trying to extrapolate the plot and story, and writing up positive or negative comments based on their guesses). No legitimate critic or reviewer reviews trailers... they're not reviewable in any real way! They're made to sell you on the movie -- either you're interested or not.

Anything further is basically navel gazing. Part of what I feel is a real problem with online nerd movie culture is this incessant need to provide instant commentary on what's basically either only a part of the process, or on something ancillary to the actual movie. The movie is the movie, and anything else is just window dressing. 

But I apologize for the digression. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Screw fans and their complaints.  And I say that as someone who didn't like any of the marketing for the movie. 

Me neither. I thought the first trailer was just not funny. But then, I never thought the trailers for his movies were funny and it always bugged me, why they got that successfull. 

But that's not the point. Not everything in this world is made for me and i'm not the stupid center of it. The world doesn't rotate around me, but looking at social media, that's exactly what many seem to feel like and that's why they think they have to make it that way by just crying the loudest they can.

I recently saw a nice little comic, that shows that certain mentality of that individualisation, that makes people lose focus fo their stand in society. It was a comparison between 1960 and 2010. It's about parents and their kid at school. The kid brought an "F" home. In 1969, you see the parents standing in front of the desk, yelling at their kid. In 2010, you see the parents yelling at the teacher, with the kid grinning malicious in the back. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Well, having drifted away from the original topic, now we're drifting even further away (into one of my pet peeves). :lol: Which is basically movie bloggers "reviewing" a trailer (which basically amounts to them trying to extrapolate the plot and story, and writing up positive or negative comments based on their guesses). No legitimate critic or reviewer reviews trailers... they're not reviewable in any real way! They're made to sell you on the movie -- either you're interested or not.

Anything further is basically navel gazing. Part of what I feel is a real problem with online nerd movie culture is this incessant need to provide instant commentary on what's basically either only a part of the process, or on something ancillary to the actual movie. The movie is the movie, and anything else is just window dressing. 

But I apologize for the digression. 

Nah, it's fine. And yeah, most of the trailer reviews are for clicks in order make money.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Me neither. I thought the first trailer was just not funny. But then, I never thought the trailers for his movies were funny and it always bugged me, why they got that successfull. 

But that's not the point. Not everything in this world is made for me and i'm not the stupid center of it. The world doesn't rotate around me, but looking at social media, that's exactly what many seem to feel like and that's why they think they have to make it that way by just crying the loudest they can.

I recently saw a nice little comic, that shows that certain mentality of that individualisation, that makes people lose focus fo their stand in society. It was a comparison between 1960 and 2010. It's about parents and their kid at school. The kid brought an "F" home. In 1969, you see the parents standing in front of the desk, yelling at their kid. In 2010, you see the parents yelling at the teacher, with the kid grinning malicious in the back. 

Is the comic arguing that 1990 was the best year for humanity then?

My Top 10 of the year so far:

1. 10 Cloverfield Lane

2. Hell or High Water

3. Eye in the Sky

4. Deadpool

5. The Witch

6. Finding Dory

7. Star Trek Beyond

8. Civil War

9. Moana

10. The Shallows

I'm only comfortable saying the top 3 will remain in my Top 10 of the year when all is said and done.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 0:29 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Moana's about to start. Recliner seating is FUCKING AMAZING :ohmygod:

Be careful with recliner seats everyone. When I saw Doctor Strange, my roommate dropped his phone in his seat and we got this wonderful post-credits scene:

8hFpLeY.jpg

Probably the loudest crunch I've ever heard, lol. At least now nobody will ask him about his phone is curved.

• Like 8