FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

Manchester By The Sea restores your faith in American filmmakers' ability to make good dramas and not having to depend on Europe to give us what we're missing. 

Happy to see it's killing it. Oh and Hollywood please Please PLEASE stop the Jennifer Lawrence propaganda and give all the good roles to Michelle Williams instead.  

Speaking of Oscars, Manchester By the Sea expanded to 48 theaters this weekend and earned around $450k (+519%) on Friday. That means the Roadside Attractions release should make around $1.29 million (+403%) this weekend for a terrific $47.6k per-location-average and a new $1.692m cume. It’s great, go see it when you get the time.

• Like 1

Very good results for Moana and the holdovers! Allied is doing below expectations because it looked predictable and the story has been seen before(might be a decent movie but not sure). Also Hacksaw Ridge and Arrival are what the adults want to see right now anyway.

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

What are the chances Loving (even though it isn't showing much signs of box office longevity unless awards resurrect it, which appears doubtful atm) and Nocturnal Animals will get wide releases (at least 800 theaters) next weekend or after? Theaters are gonna be completely dropping Billy Lynn, Bleed for This, and Rules Don't Apply as soon as their two-week contracts let up.

Loving should go wide; I think there's a lot of mainstream interest in it among older crowds tbh. Like I could see it making 7M next weekend if it went wide; my parents really want to see it (dat anecdotal evidence!)

Just now, Blankments said:

Loving should go wide; I think there's a lot of mainstream interest in it among older crowds tbh. Like I could see it making 7M next weekend if it went wide; my parents really want to see it (dat anecdotal evidence!)

Next weekend has nothing. The next weekend has one new release. It can happen, but studios sometimes enjoy a small run.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This. Ang Lee will be fine. Everyone has flops. Chris Weitz's Golden Compass sunk NLC yet he was immediately offered Twilight Saga: New Moon and has now written Rogue One and Cinderella. And he's hardly as respected as Ang Lee. 

Billy Lynn isn't a flop that one cannot bounce back from. Interesting failure more than anything else.

I agree, as long as he can produce a hit either commercially, critically or both once in a while then studios will take a punt. Both Spielberg and Zemeckis have had their fair share of flops but they are still sought after for projects likewise with Eastwood

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

I would encourage anyone and everyone to see hacksaw Ridge. Arrival is also a terrific film but hacksaw Ridge is the movie of the year in my opinion so far.

Manchester-by-the-sea is playing in one theater in Montreal one Theatre in Toronto and one theater in British Columbia. I'm not going downtown Toronto to go watch it. So I just hope it expands pretty soon in comes close to me. That film right now along with passengers is the one that I want to see the most over the next month.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Travod said:

Should I see Moana / Hacksaw Ridge / Arrival tonight? Might be able to swing two movies.

Arrival is better than Hacksaw, but both are good. Haven't seen Moana yet. Arrival should be top priority though.

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

With the girl who cheated on him just a few days before.

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We need to step up our game.

WHAT THE FUCK BITCHASS ETHAN HAS A GIRLFRIEND WHO WILL FUCK HIM AND HERE I AM WRITING A MOVIE ABOUT A TRASHCAN FULL OF SHIT FUCK EVERYTHING

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, as long as he can produce a hit either commercially, critically or both then studios will take a punt. Both Spielberg and Zemeckis have had their fair share of flops but they are still sought after for projects likewise with Eastwood

Just curious butt what would you consider a flop of Steven Spielberg's?

Just now, Blankments said:

Arrival is better than Hacksaw, but both are good. Haven't seen Moana yet. Arrival should be top priority though.

WHAT THE FUCK BITCHASS ETHAN HAS A GIRLFRIEND WHO WILL FUCK HIM AND HERE I AM WRITING A MOVIE ABOUT A TRASHCAN FULL OF SHIT FUCK EVERYTHING

sesame street christian bale nodding kermit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, as long as he can produce a hit either commercially, critically or both then studios will take a punt. Both Spielberg and Zemeckis have had their fair share of flops but they are still sought after for projects likewise with Eastwood

I don't think Steven Spielberg has had any real flops. He's had a couple of films that have may be disappointed or underwhelmed like BFG but an out-and-out flop? And you also said his fair share. Fair share implies a multitude of. Spielberg at best has had maybe two or three films that just kind of disappointed.