POTUS 2020

Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

Amazon and Roadside Attractions' Manchester By the Sea expanded to 367 theaters yesterday and earned around $912k (+37%) for the trouble. We can expect a $3m (+36%) weekend and $7.4m domestic total for the Casey Affleck/Michelle Williams Oscar contender.

I think it will do a hair over $3M. An indie smasher. Good writing, storytelling and acting. No need for flash or dazzle or being edgy like most indies that pop. 

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Friends is likely I would argue more popular then Seinfeld these days. 

I think that is very true about the whole world except the US. I don't think Seinfeld gained any traction in Europe, for example. But people just love, love Friends.

Would you say Seinfeld is more popular than Friends in the US?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

MJ2 added another 45m since the friday of its 4th weekend with TFA. Idon't see why FB will do less than 50m..

If FB works more like GOF and does $2M+/day during holiday then it'll go over $240M, but if it does $1.3M-ish/day like MJ2 then probably not.

GOF made 55M more from the same Friday so if FB does somewhere in between then maybe it would add about 50M more from now on and finish at about $240M? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

I am seeing more of a 228-232m finish.

Could definitely happen. Potter always had a Xmasy vibe to it which it helped it over the holidays I think. Not sure if FB will receive the same benefit. And Rogue One won't help its legs. Still 228-232 seems like a worst case scenerio. I'm sticking to my guns with a 240m finish :)

3 minutes ago, yjs said:

If FB works more like GOF and does $2M+/day during holiday then it'll go over $240M, but if it does $1.3M-ish/day like MJ2 then probably not.

GOF made 55M more from the same Friday so if FB does somewhere in between then maybe it would add about 50M more from now on and finish at about $240M? 

Well considering how it all started I am perfectly fine with anyrything above 230m.. 240m would be fantastic and I think it's really possible.

With a DOM of 230-240m this must get a WW total above SS and Deadpool which feels like a success to me!

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I think that is very true about the whole world except the US. I don't think Seinfeld gained any traction in Europe, for example. But people just love, love Friends.

Would you say Seinfeld is more popular than Friends in the US?

Are you kidding no one under thirty watches Seinfeld friends is pretty much required viewing 

Edited by boomboom234

230m or 240m - for FB it's great either way. The movie had a great reception, absolutely great WOM (3.1x - 3.3x multi). And I think that's the best thing WB could've hoped for. It bodes well for the sequel in the US and especially OS.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, James said:

230m or 240m - for FB it's great either way. The movie had a great reception, absolutely great WOM (3.1x - 3.3x multi). And I think that's the best thing WB could've hoped for. It bodes well for the sequel in the US and especially OS.  

There is no way to be disappointed but If only this could somehow get an 8 as a first figure WW :P

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

There is no way to be disappointed but If only this could somehow get an 8 as a first figure WW :P

It's all up in the air right now and I still think Japan is the key. And looking at how the Sat-to-Sat drop this week is around 13%, I'd say it looks at an even better weekend drop than last week's -18%. That's beautiful WOM at work. Hope is not dead yet.

Of course, the other thing is competition, namely Rogue One. But looking at the presales here (which are a good indicator considering TFA is the 2nd highest grossing movie ever) and word in a few other markets from the international thread I think more than a few people will be disappointed with that one, OS at least. It's all about perspective and insane expectations in the end.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Is that a line from the song or something?

What does my love life have to do with anything? 

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear
When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year, but

I'll be there for you
(When the rain starts to pour)
I'll be there for you
(Like I've been there before)
I'll be there for you
('Cause you're there for me too)

• Like 2