POTUS 2020

Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

21 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Right now im looking at Dreamgirls as a barometer. That opened with a 126k PTA from 3 theaters, eventually making 103m domestic. I think that's a possible total for La La Land.

To be fair, Dreamgirls also had superinflated tickets due to special stuff that was included.

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Bateman's movie career is weird. For every good movie he's in he happens to be in an aggressively terrible one as well.

That's the case with a lot of actors. There's really nothing unusual about it.

Moonlight reaching 100k PTA is honestly more impressive to me than even LLL doing 200k would be considering it didn't have any of that movie star Hollywood glamour, a writer/director coming off of one of the most beloved (among movie buffs at least) movies of 2010s, and more than three months' worth of breathless hype about how good it was. If you'd asked me beforehand what PTA Moonlight would reach I probably would have pointed to Carol's 63k as the roof. 

• Like 8

Yeah, Bateman's a working actor. Not his fault he can't get a comedic role as well-suited him as Michael Bluth every year (much less a brilliantly subversive dramatic one like The Gift), even if I wish he could. Still, he's got Zootopia this year.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Moonlight reaching 100k PTA is honestly more impressive to me than even LLL doing 200k would be considering it didn't have any of that movie star Hollywood glamour, a writer/director coming off of one of the most beloved (among movie buffs at least) movies of 2010s, and more than three months' worth of breathless hype about how good it was. If you'd asked me beforehand what PTA Moonlight would reach I probably would have pointed to Carol's 63k as the roof. 

Yeah, the fact that Moonlight started with a PTA almost double that of Jackie's (despite that having a big-name actress, historical subject matter, and the backing of a major distributor), is really impressive.

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well he also made a Pets over Dory club that failed spectacularly.

It still came way closer than most thought it would earlier in the year (mainly cause one over performed and the other didn't hit the high end of expectations.)

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

It still came way closer than most thought it would earlier in the year (mainly cause one over performed and the other didn't hit the high end of expectations.)

If Dory didn't hit the high end of expectations, it came dangerously close. It still did almost half a billion DOM, which not many saw coming. Weren't most 500M thoughts founded after OW anyway?

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Baumer also predicted La La Land wouldn't even make $30M in its entire run. So out of touch, the poor thing.

Unfortunately, Canada does that to us :(

My old prediction that gods of Egypt would do 130+ DOM :/

Just now, DAJK said:

Unfortunately, Canada does that to us :(

My old prediction that gods of Egypt would do 130+ DOM :/

Well, blame Canada, blame Canada
It seems that everything's gone wrong
Since Canada came along

Blame Canada, blame Canada
They're not even a real country anyway

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Most people were actually predicting Dory to underperform about two months before, because they expected it to not be nearly as well-received as the original.

• Like 1