Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

Let me just say how amazing F8 of the Furious's trailer sounded in my theater. That bass was fucking LOUD :ohmygod: About 20 minutes into the movie, I heard a loud booming from the auditorium next door and knew it had to be F8. The shortened trailer removed some of the opening, rearranged the Cherokee drum quote to when Hobbs is arrested, removed some of the tank stuff, and a few things sped up.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Let me just say how amazing F8 of the Furious's trailer sounded in my theater. That bass was fucking LOUD :ohmygod: About 20 minutes into the movie, I heard a loud booming from the auditorium next door and knew it had to be F8. 

My body is ready for that trailer in Atmos then. Rogue One in Dolby Cinema should be magnificent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SWXII said:

On a side note, just read a review where someone is trying to draw political parallels to today's headlines. Seriously sad. It is not political at all in that respect. It is simply Star Wars.

Jesus. Cinema being political is a good thing. I don't think Rogue One is political, but to be AGAINST the idea of a Star Wars movie being political is so silly to me.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Jesus. Cinema being political is a good thing. I don't think Rogue One is political, but to be AGAINST the idea of a Star Wars movie being political is so silly to me.

Sometimes people just want to enjoy a movie just as a movie.  Nothing wrong with that.

yeah I'm almost afraid to see how many trailers I have to go through tonight.  I am guessing at least 7-9.  Maybe I'll take a nap at that time to be more refreshed for the movie :P 

• Like 2

How could one not see that Star Wars has always been about fascism.   Some images come right out of Leni Riefenstahl

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I will say, it would surprise me if it had TFA's preview to OD multi. I think it'll get at least to the mid-30s for true Friday. But, then again, I was convinced it would do over 30m in previews.

Yeah based on the sellout report comparison it seemed to be headed quite a bit higher than BVS. Seems the walk-ups were not anywhere near as strong as we expected. Either that is a sign of backloading with the general audience or extreme frontloading with the diehard fans. We'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1

I was objecting to it being compared to today's headlines which is irresponsible.

14 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

We are now..... or some of us are now saying that 29 million in previews is not huge. Just because we have a 57 million dollar preview and something like 45 million for Deathly Hallows 2, I can't actually remember the number right now, doesn't mean that this is a small number. I will use the racing analogy again. Usain Bolt has run a ridiculous 9.6 100m.......or whatever it was. Does that mean that Carl Lewis is a slow Runner now? Does it mean Ben Johnson, even though he was on steroids, was a slow Runner? You can't just say that because one preview member doesn't reach the lofty Heights of the two biggest preview numbers ever recorded that it's a crappy number LOL

And for me this is a huge number. No matter what it opens to this weekend it's a huge number. As I've said a million times now this is the first time in 8 movies now that Star Wars has gone outside of the main story. In my opinion expecting this to do more than 450 million is not overly realistic LOL but we have a long way to go before I'm proven right.

This was the problem with so many here. They treated sub 450m as some kind of colossal failure for R1, when in reality it's an insane number for a spin off. This never was a mainline Star Wars film. 

• Like 2

Rooting for low numbers because I've got to squeeze in a viewing today before my gig tonight.   I need good seats to be open at the last minute.   It's all about my self interest here. :D      I know it'll make enough for more Star Wars movies so that's really all I need from the box office.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

He's just despicable as a director, sucking the life out of every frame he touches with his sour and dour style of film-making. He wants nothing to happen in as long of his films' runtime as possible out of some kind of misguided notion that it elevates his films when the third act "payoff" comes around. It exposes a total ambivalence towards the medium of feature length filmmaking. He wants to make 10-15% of a film and not have to be bothered with the remainder of it. The soulless characters that inhabit his barren muted worlds only serve to highlight his obviously bleak world viewpoint, as it seeps through the screen like toxic waste, draining any sense of entertainment value out of the Hollywood blockbuster. 

:wtf:

• Like 7