Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

People are looking forward to Avatar 2 just to see if Cameron fails.

But how much can it make and still be considered a failure?

400 m DOM and 1.4 billion WW?

$936m DOM $2.77b WW

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I said Avatar's worldwide gross is probably the most impressive thing I've ever seen, so I wasn't calling that into question. I will say that TFA would have come within a stone's throw of that gross if not for a strong dollar versus a weak dollar when Avatar came out. That's why I don't really care or value the international box office. That's one reason, at least, the other reason is international audiences have bizarre taste in film depending on where you are talking about. Europe is a developed continent and has had a successful, thriving film industry since the beginning (better than the U.S. pre-WWII), but China? Forget about it, they wouldn't know a good movie if it ran up and bit them in the ass.

I fully acknowledge if I lived somewhere else, I'd care about the box office there more than I do in North America, but I don't. That aside, though, I do care about the box office gross for any Star Wars movie in English speaking countries. I don't really think much useful can be said of saying, "Avatar made more money in Italy than The Force Awakens." Ok...? I don't really care. Italians have never been known to be huge Star Wars fans, so what? Star Wars is the biggest brand in North America, that's all I know, and all I care about. Outside of that, I have no interest in discussing whether Harry Potter or LOTR or Avatar is bigger in X banana republic (Zimbabwe) or foreign territory. 

Edited by weihai111
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, weihai111 said:

某些星战粉是有多无聊,就因为自己的电影比不过别人的就狂喷别人的口味,你们自己的口味又有多好,暮光这种垃圾不还是大爆。(看不懂自己Google)

Well said my friend.

For those who can't speak Chinese he is saying Star Wars is boring and Twilight is horrible, in other words don't talk crap about foreign audiences when the American audience eats up trash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quigley said:

1. Toy Story 2 made $55M in the last 2 weeks and Moana has been constantly tracking ahead of that film.

2. Saying that Rogue One won't even reach a $300M total by the end of the year defies all evidence to the contrary. Do you have any historical comps do support that view?

My gut tells me Moana is fading out. 

I'm capitulating on R1. It's obviously playing like an Avengers/Batman movie. Yuge. $300m by 12/31 seems to be a good bet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

My gut tells me Moana is fading out. 

I'm capitulating on R1. It's obviously playing like an Avengers/Batman movie. Yuge. $300m by 12/31 seems to be a good bet.

You mean after Christmas Week-end :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Well said my friend.

For those who can't speak Chinese he is saying Star Wars is boring and Twilight is horrible, in other words don't talk crap about foreign audiences when the American audience eats up trash.

There are idiots everywhere. We have our share but so does the rest of the world. 

• Like 7

I dusted off my crystal ball and it said Saturday will be 46.8

Also for Avatar 2 I'm expecting a run very similar to what we're about to get here with Rogue One, 150/500-something.  But double or triple the overseas take.