Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, Rey said:

Of course I have heard of The Comeback, bitch.

Lisa Kudrow is an ICONIC goddess. I just do not want Aunt Sassy as my username, okay?!?

If you going to be extra though, I guess I will consider the name change.

4iqcT5j.gif

Don't go changing to try and please me. We love you just the way you are.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Winning a weak year doesn't somehow automatically qualify a movie as an "event" at the box office. Congratulations Three Men and a Baby, YOU'RE AN EVENT!!

It wasn't an event when it came out, which is what we're discussing. 

T2 wasn't an event when it came out? Are you high?

As an aside, THREE MEN AND A BABY was everywhere, man. Back then, the movies that broke out were the ones that hit all demographics. Everyone went to see them. I understand it doesn't really fit the youth-oriented blockbuster film you seem to (generally) have in mind, but don't knock stuff simply because you weren't around to personally experience it.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Winning a weak year doesn't somehow automatically qualify a movie as an "event" at the box office. Congratulations Three Men and a Baby, YOU'RE AN EVENT!!

It wasn't an event when it came out, which is what we're discussing. Pop culture legacy is something different entirely. 

T2 was an event when it came out. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They're in for a rough 4 years in which movies will depict the president as the villain (through various Trump-esque qualities).

Hollywood has been making anti fascist movies - historical and metaphorical for decades. There's no reason to stop now; quite just the opposite.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

T2 wasn't an event when it came out? Are you high?

As an aside, THREE MEN AND A BABY was everywhere, man. Back then, the movies that broke out were the ones that hit all demographics. Everyone went to see them. I understand it doesn't really fit the youth-oriented blockbuster film you seem to (generally) have in mind, but don't knock stuff simply because you weren't around to personally experience it.

giphy.gif

The director of Three Men And A Baby agrees.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Relying on estimated admissions to determine "event" status seems hopelessly flawed to me. 

T2 sold a "measly" 48.6m tickets. Yet it unquestionably dominated the movie landscape that year and loomed over the entire decade. And of course it's one of the most iconic and influential action/thrillers ever.

For you Star Wars fans, T2 was directed by the same man who brought us Avatar, Titanic, True Lies, The Abyss, Aliens and The Terminator.

• Like 1